My bars keep slipping

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2013 1:27 AM

Okay guys, I literally got this bike about 1 hour ago and I just finished assembling it and the bars slip so bad. It's so bad that I cant ride it, if I sit down, it slips, try to hop, slips. It slips on everything. I think I may have stripped one of the bolts on the stem (top right) I have the Stolen Score 2013, it has the Convict tl stem and the STLN Tall Boy bars. Please help I really want to ride.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

7/18/2013 1:29 AM

did you over tighten it or not tighten it enough?

|

Bruh

7/18/2013 1:36 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

did you over tighten it or not tighten it enough?

I'm not really sure, does overtightening make is slip?

|

7/18/2013 2:25 AM

well, it could strip the bolts, thus causing the slip.

|

Bruh

7/18/2013 4:11 AM

Well its not tight enough. First off, make sure it's the right size allen key, if it isnt snug in the allen hole its not right. Tighten the bolts correctly like this: top right bolt, bottom left, top left, bottom right. That way the pressure is even. If you have like super short allen keys, the leverage you need to tighten them properly may not happen. I recommend longer ones if you can spend 10 bucks. Plus, the stolen convict stem isnt too great. Make sure to take off the faceplate of the stem and clean the areas of the stem and where the bars touch. If you ever can, get a madera mast stem, never slipped once, and i do lots of drops, so that says something!!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/18/2013 4:29 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Well its not tight enough. First off, make sure it's the right size allen key, if it isnt snug in the allen hole its not right. Tighten the bolts correctly like this: top right bolt, bottom left, top left, bottom right. That way the pressure is even. If you have like super short allen keys, the leverage you need to tighten them properly may not happen. I recommend longer ones if you can spend 10 bucks. Plus, the stolen convict stem isnt too great. Make sure to take off the faceplate of the stem and clean the areas of the stem and where the bars touch. If you ever can, get a madera mast stem, never slipped once, and i do lots of drops, so that says something!!

This. And, if there is paint on the knurled area of the bars or the clamping area of the stem, you can sand that area a little and it should grip.

|

7/18/2013 12:43 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Thanks man, it turns out I hadn't tightened all of the equally and now they don't slip at all. You're a legend tongue

|