My cranks are hardly on the spindle

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2013 2:03 PM

I bought a new bottom bracket and the dust cover are fairly bigger than my stock covers, and now my cranks don't go on my spindle all the way. They maybe go half way on the spindle, maybe less, but I can still tighten them down.
Is it bad to ride em like that?

I'm planning on buying new cranks or getting new cranks for Xmas because mine are shitty anyways, the spindles that come with aftermarket cranks are probably longer huh?

|

Why be the same when you can be different?
Official Vital Buddy: Chrisaustin

8/20/2013 2:33 PM

what new bb did you get

|

Last words?
Just have fun on your bike.
- Jeremiah Smith

8/20/2013 2:39 PM

TheMotherShip wrote:

what new bb did you get

Demolition

|

8/20/2013 2:47 PM

how big are the dust caps got any pics

|

Last words?
- Jeremiah Smith

8/20/2013 2:47 PM

nah as long as once you tighnen it down and it dosent shake its fine you should how little my compresssion bolt whent in

|

8/20/2013 2:49 PM

i would take a couple spacers out to bring it in more, but you could actually run it like that

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/20/2013 2:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2013 2:54 PM

jj0996 wrote:

i would take a couple spacers out to bring it in more, but you could actually run it like that

thats what i was thinking about suggesting after seeing his bike check

|

Last words?
- Jeremiah Smith

8/20/2013 2:58 PM

why don't you just use the old BB covers? I would NOT ride them if there "maybe less" than half. Christmas is a long ways away.

|

8/20/2013 3:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2013 3:03 PM

jj0996 wrote:

TheMotherShip wrote:

Yeah I've got one spacer on each side

Photo

|

8/20/2013 3:23 PM

jj0996 wrote:

TheMotherShip wrote:

LDewey wrote:

Yeah I've got one spacer on each side

Photo

take both of the extra spacers out.

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/20/2013 3:32 PM

If you can, take the inner bearing cover out if that helps. Odyssey BB's don't come with a inner bearing cover.

|

8/20/2013 3:32 PM

take off your left cranks and take a picture

|

8/20/2013 3:33 PM

or just the compression bolt

|

8/20/2013 4:25 PM

skubasteve wrote:

why don't you just use the old BB covers? I would NOT ride them if there "maybe less" than half. Christmas is a long ways away.

id say this. if removing spacers doesnt help.

|

Insta: @devicacy

8/20/2013 6:07 PM

Remove some spacers. Or put the old ones back in.

Make sure you have some spindle in the crank arms. I aim for 3/4s through.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/20/2013 6:44 PM

Take the washer out in that picture.

I've run the sprocket up against the bb (with no cone spacer) with just a small washer between. This will give you more spindle and you can the use the small come spacer instead of the large one on your non drive side.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/20/2013 7:36 PM

check the other arm and see if you can sacrifice moving some of the spindle from that side over to allow more spindle to go into the left arm

|

8/20/2013 8:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

check the other arm and see if you can sacrifice moving some of the spindle from that side over to allow more spindle to go into the left arm

This. I've always treated my three-piece cranks as if they were two-piece. Just have the drive side crank fully tightened down onto the spindle and take your non-drive side off only if you wanna remove your sprocket or whatever. Makes it way more easier in my opinion. Though I got a spline drive sprocket so this may not really apply to me anymore since I can't slide the sprocket pass the splines across the spindle.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke