*My* cruiser question...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2017 9:58 AM

Hey all - appreciate you guys immensely and would like your opinion here:

I'm in the (low-end) market for a 26 cruiser, emphasis on cruise (with chasing my kid around the hood and pumptrack in mind also). I'm 6'1" 200# with long legs

Based on pricing I'm looking at the Framed Twenty6er ($340 shipped, 23.75" TT) and the RedLine PL26 ($440 shipped, 22.25" TT). Budget is

|

9/11/2017 10:16 AM

I'd stay away from the framed. Go for the redline. Spend as much as you can afford to. A cheap bike will end up costing more in the long run.

|

9/11/2017 10:17 AM

^ thanks. At $500 (budget) it also opens the door to the Fairedale Taj. TT length between the two...

|

9/11/2017 11:01 AM

Redline...

|

9/11/2017 12:28 PM

Get the Taj if you can afford it. It's full chromo and has nicer parts than the Redline. Stay away from the Framed.

|

9/11/2017 12:35 PM

Actually, get this: Zeke It's a sweet 26. It's full chromo, sealed parts, double wall rims and modern geometry that will feel a lot more responsive if you want to monkey around a bit. It's 10 bucks more than your budget but probably the nicest 26 your going to find besides maybe the Fit 26". If I were going to order a 26 it would be the Zeke

Photo

|

9/11/2017 3:06 PM

^^ thanks Gambino. Will research that and the Fit

|

9/11/2017 3:17 PM

makakio wrote:

^^ thanks Gambino. Will research that and the Fit

No problem. The Fit is beautiful, I don't know if it's out yet and Fit bikes compared to others with similar features are generally overpriced in my opinion. Still a nice bike though. I almost bought a Zeke last year but I went with a 24" bike instead.

|

9/11/2017 3:21 PM

|

9/11/2017 3:47 PM

I would get the Aitken just cause it is done up like an old Kos Kruiser...back when Mongoose was top of the heap!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/11/2017 4:05 PM

Adding:
STLN Zeke $510
Cult Devotion $520
Subrosa Slayer/Salvador $400

|

9/11/2017 4:09 PM

Adding:
Volume Hessian

|

9/12/2017 1:48 PM

Those are pretty nice bikes. I was looking at 26's a lot last year and I think the Zeke is the nicest one out there all the others besides the Fit have a trimoly frame or single wall front wheels, etc.. The Zeke or the Fit if I was choosing.

|

9/12/2017 4:52 PM

Subrosa Malum

|

9/12/2017 4:56 PM

Wtp have a nice one to, lots of good choices out there, so just make sure to keep away from the framed

|

Ride till you die

9/12/2017 5:47 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Subrosa Malum

I couldn't find one last year. I don't think they made very many.

|

9/12/2017 6:35 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Subrosa Malum

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Ahhh. Too bad that sucker was loaded. They are nice! Maybe a wethepeople atlas?

|

9/12/2017 6:45 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Subrosa Malum

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

Ahhh. Too bad that sucker was loaded. They are nice! Maybe a wethepeople atlas?

The Atlas is a 24". If the OP was looking for a 24 I'd be suggesting that for sure, I have one and I love it.

|

9/13/2017 10:11 AM

Totally. My daughter has a 24" she loves but it's just a bit too small for what I'm looking to use it as. If I were going to go pumptrack all the time a 24" would be THE choice, but this is a 70% liquor store bike, so I'm keeping the target at 26"

The Malum had my interest but alas I cannot find one either.

Looking hard at the Zeke and the Subrosa Salvador.

The only question about the Zeke is noticing the BB height is like an inch and half higher than anything else in the class and the HA is 2.5-4 degrees steeper than anything else as well. I have heard the geo described as being the most "modern" of the group, but I don't really know what that means. To me it sounds like a more-scrunched pedaler when in cruise-mode and a twitchier bike in general, but probably a more-capable bike when wanting to really party on it?

Keep in mind the hesitancy to go super twitchy comes from moving to this from my AM F/S mountain bike, my P2 DJ and my Schwinn Alloy SS beach cruiser. All slack as f*ck. Anything called a BMX is at this point going to feel plenty fast up front lol...

|

9/13/2017 10:15 AM

WTP - $750 for their Avenger (old-school cruiser look). Daaaamn. That's spendy.

Eastern Growler LTD. Anyone know anything? Looks like similar price point and quality the Framed Twenty6er...

The Fairedale Taj looks like the real value buy - even at $600 MSRP (hate the army green though). Parts content is pretty sick.

Cult Devotion? LBS has a couple. Neither are built-up.

|

9/13/2017 11:00 AM

makakio wrote:

Totally. My daughter has a 24" she loves but it's just a bit too small for what I'm looking to use it as. If I were going to ...more

The geometry on the Zeke is to make it ride like a smaller bike. The Zeke has a long seatpost and quick release clamp so you can easily adjust it for cruising or messing about. The head tube angle is 74.5 isn't it. It won't feel twitchy but it is more responsive. That's the HT angle on my Atlas and even with a smaller wheel than you're looking for it doesn't fell unstable and I'm running 9.25 bars too. The higher BB is too make it easier to get the front wheel up and make it easier to throw around if you want to. Most 26" bikes have the BB lower than the axles, feels more stable but less responsive. I don't think a 26" bike is going to be terrible twitchy just due to the larger surface area and size in general.

I wouldn't get that Eastern cruiser it's on the same level as the Framed. Hi-ten, cheap parts etc. The Cult Devotion is very nice, more traditional geo but it has a single wall front wheel if that matters(to me it should be double wall at that price everything else has a double wall). There's a guy with a Salvador here and he really likes it. I'd still go for the Zeke though. If I had money and space I'd order one. I have neither of those though. sad smile

|

9/13/2017 11:03 AM

makakio wrote:

WTP - $750 for their Avenger (old-school cruiser look). Daaaamn. That's spendy.

Eastern Growler LTD. Anyone know anything? ...more

That WTP looks cool and all but it's basically an old school beach cruiser with BMX bars. Way overpriced IMO.

The Taj is really nice, they come in black also, although I don't if you'll be able to find a black one. I don't mind the green but I get it.

|

9/13/2017 2:22 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

The geometry on the Zeke is to make it ride like a smaller bike. The Zeke has a long seatpost and quick release clamp so you ...more

Lol - don't I know THAT problem... Thanks CG - your inputs her have been super valuable to me. Back to the Zeke!

|

9/13/2017 3:18 PM

makakio wrote:

Totally. My daughter has a 24" she loves but it's just a bit too small for what I'm looking to use it as. If I were going to ...more

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

The geometry on the Zeke is to make it ride like a smaller bike. The Zeke has a long seatpost and quick release clamp so you ...more

makakio wrote:

Lol - don't I know THAT problem... Thanks CG - your inputs her have been super valuable to me. Back to the Zeke!

No problem. I researched 24 and 26" bikes a lot last fall and I had decided on either the Zeke or the Saint(their 24)but then found out I couldn't get one at the time and patience is not one of my virtues.

|