My makeshift "manual machine"

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2018 9:33 PM

So, I was bored & because the weather was shit, I decided to prototype an indoor manual practice "machine". It's rough... But it does the job. I finally got it functional and gave it a go. After about 20 minutes, I had found my "balance point". After a bit more practice, I was holding a "manual" for what would be a pretty impressive distance. & while I'm no expert..... Yet, I feel this will prove to be a great tool. I'm really looking forward to actually implementing this in the real world.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/11/2018 9:41 PM

Good stuff Mishinn! I like it! I'm sure once the weather warms up, after using that thing youll be able to manual pretty good I bet!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/11/2018 10:23 PM

Nice! Is that a heim joint in the middle?

|

1/11/2018 10:29 PM

I'm shit when it comes to manuals. How much do you want for it?

|

1/11/2018 10:37 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

You're probably better at riding than me but I've always been good at manuals; arms straight, butt as far back as you can.

|

1/11/2018 10:56 PM

Every time i tell myself "manuals are my next trick" i get distracted and leave it behind.

I can manual like 1 or 2 parking spaces and hop off the back tire to finish it off but anything more than that is hit or miss, mostly miss.

I do need to crack down on them.

Cool device you made there Mishinn!

|

1/12/2018 12:27 AM

Fair play some work has gone into that. You know you need to get some videos up of it in action!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/12/2018 1:45 AM

is there a way you can spin the front wheel when its off the ground? Would it make it harder?
Anyway its still cool. smile

|

Hmmm

1/12/2018 3:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 4:21 AM

Edman123 wrote:

is there a way you can spin the front wheel when its off the ground? Would it make it harder?

Of course! The front end is as natural as it ever was... Other than you aren't actually rolling. So, if I read where you are going, yes, you could also practice bar spins... & the beginnings of hop spins.

|

1/12/2018 4:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 4:37 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Fair play some work has gone into that. You know you need to get some videos up of it in action!

I'll see about posting a video this weekend. Sorry for not being prepared, beforehand, but I was excited about the results and wanted to tell someone who understands my excitement (my gf does not...).

|

1/12/2018 4:25 AM

I bet. My GF would go bonkers laughing laughing laughing laughing

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/12/2018 4:36 AM

Curt D wrote:

Nice! Is that a heim joint in the middle?

Yessir! I machined the spacers on either side to limit the side-to-side slack to make the initial balancing easier. I'd envision changing out the spacers to allow for more side play once the standard manual balance has been mastered on the machine.

|

1/12/2018 4:40 AM

sean_gillis wrote:

BrooklynGoon wrote:

You're probably better at riding than me but I've always been good at manuals; arms straight, butt as far back as you can.

THAT is EXACTLY it, Brooklyn! I don't think anyone realizes how much you have to have your butt back & once you try going there, it seems SO odd that it isn't something you would initially try to begin with & why manuals are "so hard" for so many people. When I get to my balance point, I can sit there for a long period but I feel like I am really out of sorts, position-wise than others I have seen on videos but I'm sure I am in a very similar position... it just feels weird.

|

1/12/2018 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2018 6:15 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

THAT is EXACTLY it, Brooklyn! I don't think anyone realizes how much you have to have your butt back & once you try going ...more

Haha, I'm the same way. I suck a techy tricks but manuals are my thing! I live kinda far from parks so I just ride my street and practice flat tricks.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/12/2018 6:04 AM

I would look into some kind of patent protection before you hit the interwebs with videos...that could be a "thing" that someone could steal from you and then capitalize on....just sayin' .

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/12/2018 6:08 AM

Neat, fun idea. You really could of just do what BMX racers do and use an indoor trainer to manny on. You wouldn't even have to take off your rear wheel. Also, i just used 3 pieces of 2x6 an made a stand for the back wheel for my son to practice manny in. I learned pull up bars in 5 minutes using it.

|

1/12/2018 6:55 AM

This is rad. I'm gonna have to do this. My girlfriend will also think I'm a loser.

And she'd be right.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/12/2018 6:57 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I would look into some kind of patent protection before you hit the interwebs with videos...that could be a "thing" that ...more

Yeah, I thought about that but I think it's "been done" overall. You can see people who have made them out of 2x4's/2x6's, etc...

|

1/12/2018 7:50 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I would look into some kind of patent protection before you hit the interwebs with videos...that could be a "thing" that ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I thought about that but I think it's "been done" overall. You can see people who have made them out of 2x4's/2x6's, ...more

that's true, but this would hav e potential to be marketed I would imagine....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/12/2018 7:54 AM

Very cool, I need some help with my manuals, might have to try this

|

1/12/2018 8:59 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Of course! The front end is as natural as it ever was... Other than you aren't actually rolling. So, if I read where you are ...more

actually i meant spin the front wheel as if it was rolling forward. And if that made the manual harder due to inertia.Thinking about it now it probably makes it easier to balance in it since it would be more stable.

|

Hmmm

1/12/2018 9:10 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Of course! The front end is as natural as it ever was... Other than you aren't actually rolling. So, if I read where you are ...more

Edman123 wrote:

actually i meant spin the front wheel as if it was rolling forward. And if that made the manual harder due to inertia.Thinking ...more

Gotcha. Well, this particular model doesn't allow that as the wheel is sitting on the ground stationary until it is lifted. I don't know that a spinning front wheel would be all that helpful in this scenario as it is really just an exercise for the purpose of finding your balance point & body positioning.

|

1/12/2018 10:40 AM

I really like this version of the MM Mishinn.
I'm going to order a hiem joint and threaded rod today. The vertical piece will be extra Dom roll bar tubing I have lying around with a threaded end plug welded on top and the bottom welded to a 6x6 3/16 base with 4 bolt holes. I'll male alum spacers for the hub.

|

1/12/2018 10:53 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gotcha. Well, this particular model doesn't allow that as the wheel is sitting on the ground stationary until it is lifted. I ...more

The spinning of the wheels completely changes the feel of the bike. That's why you'll hear a lot of people talk about rotational weight. The outward force (G-force) of the wheel spinning kind of multiples the wheel's weight in a sense. So adding a few oz to your wheel or tire will realistically make the bike feel a few pounds heavier while rolling. This is also the reason why you'll hear park riders squeak their brakes as they take off from a ramp to do a trick, they are stopping their wheel, therefore cutting the rotational weight, making it substantially easier to manipulate the bike.

Think of it like a merry-go-round. The faster it spins, the more it's going to try to pull you off. You will also notice that if you try to fight your way to the center, your body will feel substantially heavier.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/12/2018 10:57 AM

Edman123 wrote:

actually i meant spin the front wheel as if it was rolling forward. And if that made the manual harder due to inertia.Thinking ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gotcha. Well, this particular model doesn't allow that as the wheel is sitting on the ground stationary until it is lifted. I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The spinning of the wheels completely changes the feel of the bike. That's why you'll hear a lot of people talk about ...more

Im not the best person to explain it in detail. Take it from Sir Isaac Newton

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/12/2018 10:58 AM

Curt D wrote:

I really like this version of the MM Mishinn.
I'm going to order a hiem joint and threaded rod today. The vertical piece will ...more

You can get a heim with the threaded rod. Also, you c an make the base out of anything really. I made mine small with the intent that if I wanted to store it, I can take it apart (off the ply base). The spacers I made so that they are recessed in the middle about .050 deep to sandwich the "ball" of the joint yet not interfere with the movement (on the body of the joint) I left about .010 on each side to allow a little movement but provide a "stop" so that I didn't get too "sideways" & lose balance. I have other spacers I made as well, that will allow for more side to side movement so it will be more challenging if I choose. One thing I would say, if you can find a used heim joint, it might be better as they have loosened up & rotate without any friction. New ones can be pretty stiff & I don't know how that will affect its use in this application.

|

1/12/2018 11:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The spinning of the wheels completely changes the feel of the bike. That's why you'll hear a lot of people talk about ...more

Oh, I get it. I just don't know that it would be applicable in this scenario (I just built this "on the fly" to play around) & obviously, this would be much more complex "machine" if I were to incorporate that feature.

|

1/12/2018 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 11:14 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Oh, I get it. I just don't know that it would be applicable in this scenario (I just built this "on the fly" to play around) ...more

To have the wheel spinning would add technical weight to the front of the bike, making it harder to pull up the front end and to stay balanced. Might also effect your balance point a little bit.

I don't think it matters too much either since you're just practicing balance really & getting over the fear of leaning too far back. Just clarifying why Edman asked about having the wheel spinning, as it does make a small difference while manualing.

Also, if you really wanted to make the wheel spin on its own, attach an air compressor hose to your forks and let the air spin it grin
& actually on that note, you should totally give that a try and let us know how much of a difference the spinning wheel actually made!

|

1/12/2018 11:17 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

To have the wheel spinning would add technical weight to the front of the bike, making it harder to pull up the front end and ...more

I've never really understood why people fear looping out. Yeah, it isn't really fun, but you just gotta know when to bail & walk out of it.

|

1/12/2018 11:22 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Oh, I get it. I just don't know that it would be applicable in this scenario (I just built this "on the fly" to play around) ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

To have the wheel spinning would add technical weight to the front of the bike, making it harder to pull up the front end and ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've never really understood why people fear looping out. Yeah, it isn't really fun, but you just gotta know when to bail ...more

I fear looping out because my left knee feels weak and damaged from injury and surgery and my right foot/ankle is now damaged so I dont want to re-injure my foot/ankle.

Otherwise it would be no big deal.

I have slammed to my back before though. Someone without a helmet might not fare so well.

|