My new winter rider. And my first log here !

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2021 6:44 AM

OK so usually I drop in here to show parts I bought etc, then at the end I post a bike check. This time I figured I would take you all along on the process.

I have a new school rider. Sadly I did what I always seem to do and fell in love with it lmao. As such I don't ride it hard, and I won't ride it when it is wet etc (that said the tyres on it drift badly in the wet as I found out a few weeks back). As such when you are riding number 27 of only about 40 you tend to be too careful.

I tried to remedy this by stupidly buying another very rare frame and building another new school ride (Cam Wood from 09, the cease and desist) but once again I fell in love and yeah, spent too much and now I don't wanna wreck it.

I don't ride old bikes. Like, mid school tanks. I tried this about 3 years back by building an 01 STA with all modern parts. I rode it, hard, and I bent the back wheel doing a set of stairs. I then realised that new school parts plus heavy rider don't bode well on a tank frame. I rebuilt that wheel, and could not true the damage out (it was a Stolen Revolver double wall, so not total crap).

So I need another new school rider, or else I will just sit here all winter getting fatter. I manage to get my weight and sugar levels good in the summer by working hard on restorations and riding, but winter I just usually sit on my fat ass eating cheesy poofs.

Had a poke on Ebay. Always wanted a Kink. Like, since the Empire. I ended up finding this.

Photo

Which TL;CBA is a Whip XL from 2020. Perfect. I had a dig through my paint bin and found some red paint. I bought two 400ml, but they were out of stock (needed for another resto) so they sent me 600ml.

Photo

One was more than enough to do the work I bought it for. I also stripped down a couple of bikes I replaced with better ones lately, and sold off some parts. Wheels always sting, so I came up with a plan. I have a SE Quadangle with these wheels on in the loft.

Photo

They're just PBR but they are new, and more than enough for me these days. The hubs are shit though (steel loose ball) but I was buying those at £40 a set for about two years. Considering you get two new rims, gold nipples and spokes etc? that was super cheap. Like I said though, the hubs are shit. No micro drive either. Remember that Stolen wheel I bent? well I rebuilt it onto a mid school hub. So I got the Stolen cassette.

Photo

I also kept the spokes. So the rear Alienation will be built onto that cassette, and the front I needed a hub for. Enter this at £14.

Photo

So that should be the wheels sorted. For tyres I have Ruben Campis. I stripped my Ruben and built a Barcode, which was what I wanted all along.

Whilst trying to figure out what I had bought (because he had it listed wrong) I saw this.

Photo

That's the 2012 Empire Rev C. I thought it was that, but there are tiny differences. Like, the Whip has a gusset and etc. So I got the idea of doing a custom. Mate of mine owns this.

Photo

And had spare decals.

Photo

So I am going to do a throw back sorta tribute to the original Empire. Going through the stash I had these bars (ignore everything else on there)

Photo

This stem.

Photo

The cranks are there with the stem (Salt Rookie). I also have this.

Photo

This.

Photo

And these.

Photo

Photo

Those will be painted red also. Need chemical stripping, but otherwise they are immaculate. So I didn't really need much. Problem was I had a choice of three seats. Two of which are absolutely rock hard and killed my ass. The third was brown. So I got this on sale 50% off (£20)

Photo

It's tripod (my fave). I will use this post.

Photo

The tyres are being yoinked off that too (it's already been stripped, some of it sold). So all that left was parts I didn't have, or were brown and would look awful. So I got these for £4.

Photo

In 14mm. I stole the wheel nuts off of the Stolen hub (haha) because they were 17mm peg nuts. All I had otherwise was 19mm which don't work in pegs. I got these for £4 (Proper)

Photo

Because yeah, orange or brown (boak). And these. Because the only actually red red pedals in plastic are ODY and cost the same.

Photo

I also ordered the fire badge.

Photo

Whether I will get it though? IDK. The seller I bought it from is known to stock shit you can't get and they don't have it. So I paid with Paypal.

I've drawn up the fork decals to do.

Photo

And etc. The rest is all just shitty nasty work lol.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/5/2021 6:51 AM

Got two of these left over. Rear will need drilling to 14.

Photo

Sprocket is the bash one on the Ruben up there.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/6/2021 8:05 AM

Frame has arrived. Hoping it's not bent ffs.

Photo

I got the fire badge ! WOO. I also spent more money hahaha. Got two of these half price. MAN tyres are expensive right now ! 45 quid for a decent tyre. These are not rated too well, but I love my Fit TA. I don't like rolling resistance and noise.

Photo

Also think the casting on the Mission brake is pretty gnarly. Wanted something high end. Got this for half price also (so £40)

Photo

Will paint that black.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/6/2021 9:45 AM

My friend just got a new set of those tires (he rides bowls) and they’re so damn smooth. Very nice.

I miss my fit t/a’s tho sad

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

9/6/2021 11:34 AM

Yeah the reviews on them are very mixed. From people falling on their face to others wearing them in and loving them. I can't see how they will differ that much from the T/A. The Rubens are really loud. I put them on my race bike and rode about 10 miles and I swear it nearly shook my teeth out. Fantastic grip, but high rolling resistance.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/6/2021 11:50 AM

Depending on your color scheme, you can paint up that head badge too.. A couple versions I've done...

Photo

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

9/6/2021 1:40 PM

I wanted it brass really. Sadly they don't do one. That looks great though dude, not sure my hands would be steady enough lol. Was that hand painted? or did you blow paint on and then remove it? Would look killer with a red inlay man.

Having said all of that I am just super stoked I got one. There are literally none left in the UK, and the place I ordered from are D bags. Kinda like that place on here every one hates. They sell shit they know they don't have, then keep your money for weeks. This is the first order in four I have actually got. All of the Bone Deth parts I ordered for my Metal (cranks, fork etc) I got screwed around on.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/6/2021 2:33 PM

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

9/6/2021 4:11 PM

Sick. That's fucking sick I WANT. Yeah, I can feel my balls growing. Might do it like that but with gold accents on the side.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/7/2021 9:02 AM

Had a few sprockets to choose from. All 28, though. I really like the 25t on the Metal. It doesn't get you anywhere fast, but allows you to pedal back up to momentum fast. Had a good dig, man some of them are like £70. Then I found this for 30.

Photo

Which kinda got me sitting there, grinning like an idiot thinking about my ride during those days.

Photo

So yeah, had to have it really. Price was good too. Funny thing is that photo was taken the same year the Empire came out.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/8/2021 4:31 PM

Badge was a total bust. I got this.

Photo

It's tiny ffs. I knew not to trust that bloody place. Still, we soldier on. Front wheel is built. I have since tightened the spokes down, it just needs to be trued now.

Photo

Stuff came. Frame is undamaged, as the box it was in was far too small. That was a relief. I got a pic from the courier when they delivered it (to my ma's) and I could see the box was too narrow. Still, no damage. Parts.

Photo

Have pulled all the remains of the stickers off now too. Tried building the back wheel, but realised after about four attempts that the spokes were just too short. That and the nipples I had left were short too, so that didn't help. Seems the PBR as a 2mm bigger ERD, so it just wasn't happening. Went looking for spokes after running the calculator and found these for £5.

Photo

Black nips too. Given the rear hub is black I reckon they'll look pretty sweet. Plus hey, they were cheap (they are Sputnik spokes that were on clearance).

Oh and I was sent the wrong decals too. Like, the new school Kink ones. The ones in the picture apparently are not available any more FFS.

Oh well. What I did get was the OG Empire decals and they are fucking SWEET. So I ain't mad.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/9/2021 4:43 AM

Wheel is done apart from the true. It's very close though.

Photo

Very boring, very plain yet very functional Stolen hub. One sticker, two cheap nuts.

Photo

The brake arrived.

Photo

So did the tyres.

Photo

And by far and away my most favourite part. Well, stickers.

Photo

Today we strip !

|

Gravity always wins.

9/9/2021 7:45 AM

Work continues. "Just 'cause she dances go go, that don't make her a ho no".

Before.

Photo

Now as I suspected that gold flake and the black base coat just fell off. Mmm, yummy chemicals. What I was then greeted with was the decal (it only has one on the right leg) and the powder coat all left underneath. Took five layers of stripper and wire brush and sanding. Still, it is done.

Photo

Drops were a pain in the balls.

Photo

Came out nice though.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/9/2021 10:25 AM

I've got that same fork just hanging out on an old frame laying around.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/9/2021 10:47 AM

It's pretty strong. I know this because somehow they fell down the stairs, bounced, took a lump out the wall and landed with a thud. And they're still in one piece lol.

Weather has been good so I put down the satin red. Looks glossy when wet, but it's satin.

Photo

Photo

Once the legs had flashed off I bought them in.

Photo

They will get decals then clear. Talking of decals. So I drew up a Kamikaze decal. I can't get one printed right now as my buddy is mad busy (Covid, just come out of lockdown) so I thought I would cut it from three colours, then overlay. God, what a PITA. 5 went in the trash, and this was the best I could do last night.

Photo

It's totally pissed. So I tried again today. I only need one.

Photo

Almost perfect. So that will do. I then played with parts. Fitted the stem grips and lever.

Photo

Photo

Found the seat clamp.

Photo

Then found a load of parts to make a headset up.

Photo

And the seat came too.

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/9/2021 12:07 PM

Next up - clear coat.

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/10/2021 4:51 AM

Yay !

Photo

It's so cute :D

I bought some cranks also. NOS, cost me £45.

Photo

Photo

They're KHE's top end cranks. Very light too.

Photo

I have a Profile cro mo axle in my spares bin which is nice.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/10/2021 5:28 AM

Always wanted one of these. One popped up at a decent price so now is the time I suppose.

Photo

You guys with balls enough to ride brakeless are so lucky :D

|

Gravity always wins.

9/10/2021 7:02 AM

Fork done. Sorted the bolt too.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/10/2021 10:36 AM

Actually now it's done. Shit gets rusty fast down here (I live on the beach) fast, so I did this.

Photo

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/11/2021 8:09 AM

Rear done.

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/11/2021 9:50 AM

red and black is best color scheme

|

9/11/2021 10:03 AM

Yeah kinda wishing they had 184 left so I could have done the front. I do like the contrast between them though smile

Frame is now in primer.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Hoping we get another lovely day like today, then I can put it into red base coat tomorrow.

The cranks arrive on Monday, and the lever should be here shortly after. I also have to strip the anno from the brake using this.

Photo

Ideally I would like it to be silver to match the lever. I bought a truing stand too. It was only £19.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/12/2021 5:59 AM

Fallout : New Bike.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/12/2021 8:44 AM

Before.

Photo

After the caustic.

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/13/2021 10:13 AM

Paint is done. Glad, I am sick of doing it now :D

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Gravity always wins.

9/13/2021 11:15 AM

you should've taped off the brake mounts. make sure you sand all that paint off them before you try to install the brakes

|

It’s all bmx

9/13/2021 12:02 PM

blade gets it off in about 30 seconds. That's why I don't bother any more. I do it before the paint fully hardens, so it's really easy.

The cranks are not going to work. The spindle seems a bit too big, and no matter how much force I use the NDS arm will not go on. Even the drive side one only went on about half way after using so much force it got hot. Will use the Salt cranks.

|

Gravity always wins.

9/13/2021 12:34 PM

I've got a KHE spindle that should fit. Let me know and I can send it to you.

|

9/13/2021 1:04 PM

That's really kind of you dude and mad props ! Problem is I have now pulled the drive side arm on and it's on there lol. IE, it used so much force it's not coming off. Given I haven't broken or messed anything up all year it's just one of those things.

This is the last complete I will ever build, so I decided to treat myself.

Photo

Federal Vice V2. Got them on sale. Stings a bit, but I am sure they will look amazing. I put the decals on earlier, will shoot some pics when there is some light smile

|

Gravity always wins.