My shitty luck - fly cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

2/2/2014 9:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/2/2014 9:42 PM

my new fly dolmen's i ordered just arrived yesterday and i couldn't wait to put them on...BUT the damn cranks just really didn't wanna go onto the spindle so i took a closer look at the splines and this is what i found

Photo

a small lump of excess metal in between two of the splines which prevented the spindle from going into the arm past that point. i tried to get rid of the lump but it just didn't wanna go anywhere. did this ever happen to anyone else or is just my dumb luck? i don't really have any other options besides returning these now do i (which is a real pain in the ass)?

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

2/2/2014 9:50 PM

I'd return them for something else, Fly's are pretty notorious for breaking.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/2/2014 9:55 PM

^^^

|

When the river runs red, take the dirt road instead.

2/2/2014 9:57 PM

Comments above say it all.

Try poking at it with the sharp side of a thumbtack or something.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/2/2014 9:58 PM

are fly cranks really that bad tho (or other fly parts in general)? i used to ride their parts back in like 2007 and i remember back then they were pretty legit.

|

Bike
Summer riding

2/2/2014 10:04 PM

tr1x wrote:

are fly cranks really that bad tho (or other fly parts in general)? i used to ride their parts back in like 2007 and i ...more

Every version of Fly cranks, besides the Dolmens, I've seen/heard of breaking pretty easily.

|

2/3/2014 5:00 AM

It's weld spatter. Should chip out pretty easily. Or try filing. If what the others say is true, I would return them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/3/2014 6:52 AM

return them and get something better, i've seen many dolmen crack in the pedal boss

|

2/3/2014 7:40 AM

I have hear a lot of bad stuff about fly products.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/3/2014 9:00 AM

i havent heard of dolemans cracking or breaking but the previous fly cranks did. I have a set of dolemans and have no issues.

|

brakeless maniac

2/3/2014 11:15 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Every version of Fly cranks, besides the Dolmens, I've seen/heard of breaking pretty easily.

guy in my town actually has a set of dolmens that turned out to be bent..they're nice cranks and all parts eventually have to break but yeah fly seems to pretty easy

|

Refs

trades: Phocraken (beats for volume frame), The_bmxist (profiles for hollowbites), livefreeordie233 x2 (hollowbites for sd frame then noctis cranks for fit indents), Zachary_ (freecoaster for federal frame), Rascio (sold piv. seat), MaximusBikes (sold s3.5 frame)

2/3/2014 3:16 PM

I would personally get something different and use that lump for an excuse to send them back. But I dont think theyre too bad compared to other fly parts, though there is better. If you dont want to return them take a small flathead and rest it on that and tap it with a hammer. Should fall off. If not, take a square/triangle file and file inbetween those splines. Be careful, if you fuck up the splines then that crank will never go on. Also GREASE YOU SPLINES WHILE YOU HAVE IT OFF ALREADY.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/3/2014 3:28 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I would personally get something different and use that lump for an excuse to send them back. But I dont think theyre too bad ...more

This, grease those splines!

|

2/3/2014 4:10 PM

My fly Cranks took a beating never cracked or broke

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/3/2014 7:02 PM

EVERY person I know or have seen with Fly Dolmen cranks has SNAPPED them, not just experience problems alone.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/3/2014 9:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2014 9:02 PM

I FINALLY got the cranks on my bike (yup, used a ton of grease). Although they were a million times harder to put on than my previous set of fly cranks. I tried to get rid of that lump with a flat head screwdriver before and it didn't work, but then i poked it hard with a thumb tack and it popped right out...... =/

i ride mostly park and I don't weigh all that much so I'm not all too rough on my parts. i hope these will hold up good like my previous set did before they got super rusty lol. i think i got the dolmens cuz i wanted to give the investment cast arms a try.

and while I'm at it, what other good/popular cranks are out there besides profiles? i haven't bought new cranks for a really long time so I'm a bit out of touch i guess

|

Bike
Summer riding

2/3/2014 9:10 PM

tr1x wrote:

I FINALLY got the cranks on my bike (yup, used a ton of grease). Although they were a million times harder to put on than my ...more

If your idea of good cranks are Profile, then you're way out of the loop.

Odyssey Thunderbolt >

I had Animal Akimbo cranks before I got the Odyssey ones, they were really nice and held up great. They developed a "wobble" that all 48 spline cranks can get overtime which annoyed me, so I bought new ones. Also had Fit Indent cranks, the 19mm ones, before the Animal ones. They were almost 3 years old by the time I retired them due to the splines wearing out, and had no cracks or anything, and I'd assume the 24mm version of them are just as good.

Also heard great things about the Kink, Eclat, Stolen Team, Subrosa, and Primo cranks

|

2/3/2014 9:22 PM

tr1x wrote:

I FINALLY got the cranks on my bike (yup, used a ton of grease). Although they were a million times harder to put on than my ...more

Told you.

100 interwebz to moi

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/3/2014 9:25 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Told you.

100 interwebz to moi

yeh, thumb tacks > screwdrivers lol

|