My son wants to race

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2020 5:56 PM

So my son, who is just a straight up daredevil by heart and is the type to try anything and excell or give it his all. After shredding in the back lot of the LBS a block from my house all weekend, he asked me if he can race for trophies against boys his age. I loved hearing that. So I wanna get him a race bike I guess. He has a 16" custom made by dad, imagine that 😂.. I know he is ready for an 18". Any of you been through the youth bmx racing leagues? I just don't know if it matters what style I get him for starting out. I have 2 18" in town used i can snag now. I can get em dialed in for him, I'd rather do that anyways than go drop $600 on a racing bmx for him. Also, what's up with the "mini"? Is that what I need for a 7 y o starting bmx racing??

|

9/8/2020 10:22 PM

Don't get a mini BMX, it was a fad that came about a few years ago made purely for laughs.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/8/2020 11:36 PM

Nice

|

13 years old

9/9/2020 5:27 AM

Look for a local track. I hear it can get expensive though.

|

It’s all bmx

9/9/2020 9:11 AM

Some tracks have loaner/ rental bikes. This way he can get on them and do some riding and you will be able to get a good idea exactly what size he needs. If you can find something used, as long as it isn't too small, or way too big, I imagine you can dial it in like you say. You don't need a race specific bike. A freestyle bike with race or dirt/ trails tires will get him around just fine. I have done it and seen plenty of other people do it. If he really gets into it and starts getting competitive regularly a race specific bike could benefit him. At 7 he will outgrow bikes quick anyway, so if you can find something used I would definitely recommend it.

|

9/9/2020 9:54 AM

Mini/Jr size race bike is what a 7 year old would be on. basically is classified by top tub length. He'll need a race bike. more tracks have loaners. he can definitely try it on his 18" "freestyle" bike but will be at a mechanical disadvantage. Used is the best deals. but nothing is wrong with running a $369.99 complete as a Novice. It will absolutely not hold him back.

Mini 17.5-18" TT
Jr 18.25-18.75
Expert 19" ish
ExpertXL 19.5ish
Pro 20-20.5-ish
Pro XL 21
Pro XXL 21.5

There's overlap but that's basically how that works.

|

9/9/2020 12:35 PM

^ That guy is a state champ. Listen to him.

|

9/9/2020 12:55 PM

My buddy just got his 8 and 6 year old into racing and they love it...he actually got a bike and races now too...wants me to race but not sure a freecoaster, 25/9,165mm cranks is the smartest decision for me...we'll see on Saturday

When I was growing up, the kids who raced always seemed to have an advantage over us who didn't when it came to trails and transition riding

|

9/9/2020 4:36 PM

younggotti wrote:

My buddy just got his 8 and 6 year old into racing and they love it...he actually got a bike and races now too...wants me to race but not sure a freecoaster, 25/9,165mm cranks is the smartest decision for me...we'll see on Saturday

When I was growing up, the kids who raced always seemed to have an advantage over us who didn't when it came to trails and transition riding

You'll be fine. If you have worn out old tires it would pay to track down some new ones if you can get them in time. That aside, 25/9 and whatever bike you have is absolutely fine for getting started in racing. The competition of racing has definitely pushed me to work on some skills I never would have attained otherwise, let alone it's fun. Where are you racing? I see you're in PA. I'm pissed because I registered at Chesapeake tonight and the got rained out. Meanwhile, they are racing in York, used to be Bumps N Berms, now Revolution? Problem now is you have to register 24 hours before because no one does on site registrations. Fuck rain and fuck covid. Anyway, I don't want to get to far off track and derail the thread. Get there early and knock out a few practice laps if you can. Helps a lot to be familiar with the track.

|

9/9/2020 6:35 PM

Thanks for the input fellas.. I appreciate it.

|

9/9/2020 6:41 PM

jmz313 wrote:

Mini/Jr size race bike is what a 7 year old would be on. basically is classified by top tub length. He'll need a race bike. more tracks have loaners. he can definitely try it on his 18" "freestyle" bike but will be at a mechanical disadvantage. Used is the best deals. but nothing is wrong with running a $369.99 complete as a Novice. It will absolutely not hold him back.

Mini 17.5-18" TT
Jr 18.25-18.75
Expert 19" ish
ExpertXL 19.5ish
Pro 20-20.5-ish
Pro XL 21
Pro XXL 21.5

So can I put 18" racing wheels on an original 20" setup?? I'm asking cuz I have what looks like a solid bike for him picked out. The guy has the hots for my stretched cruisers I built so I'm gonna trade him 2 of em for this Redline Proline mini. You're a racer so what you think of this bike? The bikes I'm trading him, I have my time and a total of $120 into them total combined. And if I can do the 18" wheel swap, I'm thinking I can put the 20's back on when the time comes. Photo
Photo

|

9/9/2020 6:43 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Don't get a mini BMX, it was a fad that came about a few years ago made purely for laughs.

Lol, yeah I see that. I never knew the name but I have seen these. Yikes, not what I thought mini was. Thanks @Ready

|

9/9/2020 7:33 PM

The brakes on the 20" won't likely reach an 18" rim. The crank length would also be something to consider. Jmz313 is more knowledgeable than me on the subject, so I'd wait for his input to make a final decision. If the 20" is too big as it is, though, I personally would hold out for something else.

|

9/10/2020 5:09 AM

readybmxer wrote:

There is a race bike called a Mini-it refers to the size of the bike- not one of those stupid rocker bike things.

OP, see if the track has loaners so you can get him on the correct size. Mongoose has some really dialed race bikes for cheap-like 200-300 bucks roughly. Might be worth looking into.

Also people sell their kids used gear at tracks all the time, I bet you could post up a "Looking for ____ size bike, message me" there and get a bunch of hits.

He could start on a freestyle (or really anything) rig, BUT he might be demotivated if the other kids his age have legit racing gear and leave him in the dust. I'd also suggest checking the place out on a PRACTICE day with him, to see if that is what he wants to do. Ensure he understands that it is racing and not a line of dirt jumps for tricks etc-they actually have kicked people out for doing tricks locally. (any limbs off on purpose and you're out around here) so xups, turndowns and tables area about all the kids get away with.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/10/2020 10:20 AM

weldframeCappo wrote:

So can I put 18" racing wheels on an original 20" setup?? I'm asking cuz I have what looks like a solid bike for him picked out. The guy has the hots for my stretched cruisers I built so I'm gonna trade him 2 of em for this Redline Proline mini. You're a racer so what you think of this bike? The bikes I'm trading him, I have my time and a total of $120 into them total combined. And if I can do the 18" wheel swap, I'm thinking I can put the 20's back on when the time comes. Photo
Photo

No, you can't use the 18" on the mini race bike. The BB will be too low. The proline mini would be good for him, might even be too small. the 18" micro sized race bikes are fore very small kids, like 3-5 years old.

FYI, that proline mini worth $120-150ish.

|

9/10/2020 10:21 AM

dead goon wrote:

^ That guy is a state champ. Listen to him.

I'm also your Dad... Son.

|

9/10/2020 5:58 PM

jmz313 wrote:

Mini 17.5-18" TT
Jr 18.25-18.75
Expert 19" ish
ExpertXL 19.5ish
Pro 20-20.5-ish
Pro XL 21
Pro XXL 21.5

weldframeCappo wrote:

Photo

jmz313 wrote:

No, you can't use the 18" on the mini race bike. The BB will be too low. The proline mini would be good for him, might even be too small. the 18" micro sized race bikes are fore very small kids, like 3-5 years old.

FYI, that proline mini worth $120-150ish.

Yeah I figured that out today, the BB will be too low and that's too dangerous. Really $120 for that redline huh? You know better than I. Thanks a lot for all your input. Much appreciated

|