My stand over is s**t

Related:
Create New Tag

8/7/2018 1:06 PM

Is there possibly any where I can get a bmx frame for less than 150-200$ that has a stand over of 8.5 or 9, I currently ride a 7.25 stand over and it honestly feels like a pile of s**t to do any sort of street trick on.

My stand over is s**t

View Results

|

8/7/2018 1:07 PM

|

8/7/2018 1:10 PM

What on earth does standover have to do with the feel of the bike? The only things standover really has any noticeable effect on are tailwhips, nacs, no foot cans, etc.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/7/2018 1:22 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

What on earth does standover have to do with the feel of the bike? The only things standover really has any noticeable effect ...more

stiffness, stability.your ankles shouldnt be hitting your seat....

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/7/2018 1:26 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

What on earth does standover have to do with the feel of the bike? The only things standover really has any noticeable effect ...more

Standover makes a massive difference, especially with a drastically short one like 7.25", or a drastically tall one like 10". A short one makes the bike feel squirrely & a tall one makes it feel stable. It also alters the effective feel of the top tube.

Also not to mention the stiffness advantage of a tall frame, short ones are known to flex a lot more.

@ OP check the For Sale section on this Forum & also check out SourceBMX.com & eBay

I can almost guarantee theres an aftermarket frame out there in your budget

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/7/2018 1:30 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

I can understand a difference in stiffness but I can't imagine it'd be too drastic. How would it affect stability? Unless you have really low Q-factor cranks(almost unheard of in BMX), I can't see hitting the seat being an actual problem.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/7/2018 1:31 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Standover makes a massive difference, especially with a drastically short one like 7.25", or a drastically tall one like 10". ...more

Fair enough, I've never noticed much of a difference.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/7/2018 1:37 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I can understand a difference in stiffness but I can't imagine it'd be too drastic. How would it affect stability? Unless you ...more

Much of the stability comes from pinching the higher seat & higher top tube with your legs, which most people probably wouldnt even notice that they do. Where with the lower standover, it is very unlikely that your leg will come in contact with the top tube at all & you would need a ridiculously long seat post to be able to clamp the seat.

I've rode the Mankind & NoWear frames a few times and they feel like they were made for flippy-spinny tricks & 0 bike control. They felt more like a scooter than a bike to me honestly haha

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

8/7/2018 1:42 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I can understand a difference in stiffness but I can't imagine it'd be too drastic. How would it affect stability? Unless you ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Much of the stability comes from pinching the higher seat & higher top tube with your legs, which most people probably ...more

Aha, I wouldn't get that because I don't pinch at all; I hate the feeling of anything restricting how my legs move.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/7/2018 1:51 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Much of the stability comes from pinching the higher seat & higher top tube with your legs, which most people probably ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Aha, I wouldn't get that because I don't pinch at all; I hate the feeling of anything restricting how my legs move.

See I clamp my seat on tricks, but even when I'm just cruising, I often find that my top tube will hit my leg before before allowing the bike to lay over flat underneath me. Where with a frame with a super low standover, it has a lot more "wiggle room" to do so inbetween my legs.

|

8/7/2018 2:10 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

That’s what seat posts are for

|

8/7/2018 2:23 PM

I have a Cult frame with a cool custom cerakote paint job for sale. Not sure the standover byt I think its above 8.5". And you can have it for $120 plus shipping... text me, 936 777 1331

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/7/2018 5:13 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I have a Cult frame with a cool custom cerakote paint job for sale. Not sure the standover byt I think its above 8.5". And you ...more

Its gonna be 8.65 I believe

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/7/2018 6:31 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I have a Cult frame with a cool custom cerakote paint job for sale. Not sure the standover byt I think its above 8.5". And you ...more

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Its gonna be 8.65 I believe

I'm going to measure when I get home, I dont remember off the top of my head...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/7/2018 7:48 PM

I have a barely used volume warhorse frame has a 9.25 standover $200 shipped to you. Photo
Photo

|

8/9/2018 5:42 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

I have a barely used volume warhorse frame has a 9.25 standover $200 shipped to you. Photo
Photo

I’m honestly surprised that you still haven’t sold this yet. It’s a great frame, I’d buy it if I was building another bike, but I haven’t even finished the one I’m riding.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican