My worst crash in years, got knocked out.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2020 10:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2020 10:39 PM

Time stamp on the video is 6:59 pm. I did not really regain consciousness till a few miles down the road when I pulled over to call my wife at 7:11 pm. No clue how my stuff got in the car etc.
After checking to see if i had it filmed and watching it around 8:30pm. My first memory was thinking, why is it taking so long to get this helmet off.

Now at 1:21 AM. I also remember going on the side of the kid thinking he was going to collide with me. Plus trying to get up but falling back down. All the other stuff, I do not recall at all.

Looking at the orig video that is better then youtube shows. It looks like I aborted my run but thought I could just roll over the transfer to mini ramp. Guess I had to much speed and the back tire also clipped the miniramp side or the coping.

Luckily I had my gear on "CORRECTLY" my helmet stayed where it belonged.

Also bad luck/stupidity played into this. I was riding for over 1hr. I was tired. I went by myself, I should have rode with a buddy or had my wife with me.
It was getting dark and I had that stupid mentality of "just one more run". when I should have stopped at least 15 mins before the crash.

|

3/14/2020 11:52 PM

Damn bro, that's rough for reals!

So glad you had a helmet and all..

Goes to show how important the proper gear can play into a situation like that..

I'm thankful you are here still to pass this lesson forward...

Praying no further complications result from it..

Thanks for the education, for real...

|

3/15/2020 8:30 AM

That was tough to watch, glad you're ok. Seems to be a theme this week, I had my own scare last weekend but walked away with some minor bruising

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

3/15/2020 9:14 AM

Wayne S wrote:

Time stamp on the video is 6:59 pm. I did not really regain consciousness till a few miles down the road when I pulled over to call my wife at 7:11 pm. No clue how my stuff got in the car etc.
After checking to see if i had it filmed and watching it around 8:30pm. My first memory was thinking, why is it taking so long to get this helmet off.

Now at 1:21 AM. I also remember going on the side of the kid thinking he was going to collide with me. Plus trying to get up but falling back down. All the other stuff, I do not recall at all.

Looking at the orig video that is better then youtube shows. It looks like I aborted my run but thought I could just roll over the transfer to mini ramp. Guess I had to much speed and the back tire also clipped the miniramp side or the coping.

Luckily I had my gear on "CORRECTLY" my helmet stayed where it belonged.

Also bad luck/stupidity played into this. I was riding for over 1hr. I was tired. I went by myself, I should have rode with a buddy or had my wife with me.
It was getting dark and I had that stupid mentality of "just one more run". when I should have stopped at least 15 mins before the crash.

Damn, I hope you recover well brother. We aint' spring chickens no more! If you haven't already had your melon checked out you might consider doing it to be on the safe side as missing minutes of time like that is not good.

I had the front and right side of my head slammed pretty hard and no one knew it had occurred (including myself) until nearly a day later when by chance security camera footage was being reviewed due to a strange witness report and the event was discovered. I was promptly thrown onto a bird in a whirlwind of confusion and whisked out-of-country for a full medical. It was soon discovered that I had suffered a pretty severe blow to the head and was suffering from a rather acute concussion. I am still unable to recall the event and can only partially remember the 18 or so hours of armed duty I performed flawlessly afterwards. And I absolutely have no recollection of the hour or so before the event occurred either. As if it was completely erased. My memory seemed to have reboot at the hospital sometime after the cat-scan when the medication for reducing swelling at taken effect. Was back on operational duty a week or so later, fit as a fiddle. I was a lucky bastard to say the least. But damn it was/is a strange feeling missing about a whole day of one's life.

Speedy recovery.

|

3/15/2020 6:50 PM

Fuckkkk, I know you most likely did but I really hope you went to a hospital. Glad you're good though, how you feeling now?

It's crazy how the body can autopilot itself like that though. I got knocked out riding home one night and my body autopiloted itself home. I was riding through a parking lot, it was dark, but I'd gone home that way countless times in the past. Last moment I was fully aware of was hopping a parking block and taking a few cranks, then my next fully aware moment was sitting on a bed at the hospital. I somehow got back up on my bike, rode a mile home in the dark, and somehow didn't get hit by a car in the process. I remember very foggy bits & pieces, but I didn't start coming around till I was getting checked in at the hospital and even then felt like a dream state. I remember hearing the water running through the creek next to the parking lot, telling someone I'm okay (not sure if anyone was even there though), random street lights, walking in the door, telling my mom I need to be driven to the hospital cause I hit my head, telling my cat everything's alright, then changing clothes... but everything else is fucking blank. It's scary to think about but also fascinates me for some reason the extent of what the body can do

|

3/15/2020 7:17 PM

Thanks, guys.

As of right now I have not been to a Dr. Tho my kid who is an RN (Neurology) checked me over last night. She looked over the video and we looked at my helmet etc.

As of right now. I can tell my bell was rung. My head feels like I came home from a big concert or coming home from riding rides at 6 flags. Pretty much I seem to be clear and calm to my self and others.

See what tomorrow brings.

Memory is still the same.

|

3/15/2020 8:58 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Fuckkkk, I know you most likely did but I really hope you went to a hospital. Glad you're good though, how you feeling now?

It's crazy how the body can autopilot itself like that though. I got knocked out riding home one night and my body autopiloted itself home. I was riding through a parking lot, it was dark, but I'd gone home that way countless times in the past. Last moment I was fully aware of was hopping a parking block and taking a few cranks, then my next fully aware moment was sitting on a bed at the hospital. I somehow got back up on my bike, rode a mile home in the dark, and somehow didn't get hit by a car in the process. I remember very foggy bits & pieces, but I didn't start coming around till I was getting checked in at the hospital and even then felt like a dream state. I remember hearing the water running through the creek next to the parking lot, telling someone I'm okay (not sure if anyone was even there though), random street lights, walking in the door, telling my mom I need to be driven to the hospital cause I hit my head, telling my cat everything's alright, then changing clothes... but everything else is fucking blank. It's scary to think about but also fascinates me for some reason the extent of what the body can do

I use to kickbox, bmx race and own horses among other things when I was younger. I have been knocked out a few times in my life. I have had a few of those dream state ones.

This time is more or less like the human record button was never pressed. looking at the vid I had intent with everything I was doing.
I also ride motorcycles and lose my gloves all the time. My routine is to put my gloves in my helmet. In the video I slammed my gloves down on the ramp, started to walk away but turn around and took my helmet off to put my gloves in it.

The surprising part to my kid is, somehow remembering to get my bike. No video on that part.

I do know the timestamp on the video is 6:59 and I texted my wife I was on my way home at 7:04.

I never checked if video timestamps are beginning or ending of the video.

|

3/16/2020 7:12 AM

Hey man, hope you feel better soon! Take it easy and don’t rush anything. I’ve rung my bell a few times!!

|

3/16/2020 7:26 AM

hope you're ok man! looks like you hit hard.

both of my bad crashes have been while fatigued... definitely good advice to move on in those cases.

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Bike Check

WTB: Odyssey GTXR Detangler in black (the one with the knarps), Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims, Black profile elite front hub, 25T Profile Blackjack sprocket, Odyssey Highway/Superhighway bars 9.5" in chrome.

3/16/2020 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2020 10:57 AM

spencer666 wrote:

Hey man, hope you feel better soon! Take it easy and don’t rush anything. I’ve rung my bell a few times!!

Ty

|

3/16/2020 10:57 AM

A08 wrote:

hope you're ok man! looks like you hit hard.

both of my bad crashes have been while fatigued... definitely good advice to move on in those cases.

Ty

|

3/20/2020 10:05 AM

That was a slam. Definitely be more careful next time. Honestly there is no telling when, the next crash is always lurking around the corner but the days you push it are definitely increasing those odds. On a positive note, those were some nice hip transfers.

|

3/21/2020 6:39 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

That was a slam. Definitely be more careful next time. Honestly there is no telling when, the next crash is always lurking around the corner but the days you push it are definitely increasing those odds. On a positive note, those were some nice hip transfers.

Thanks, that is the only park around here with hips like that. Shame thay are metal.

|