NEED HELP!!!!!! Getting back to BMX riding.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/11/2014 6:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2014 5:25 PM

So I am trying decide on what bike to get out of the 3 bikes that I chose. My limit is $200 and I am welling to go alittle over on the Budget. The color or looks doesn't matter to me. But the quality and the value of the bike for what I'm getting is whats important. The Price on these bikes are unbelievably low considering all the spec and what it comes with... So I couldn't resist getting one of these to start back riding. The Mongoose Mode 900, Mongoose Scan R70, or the DK Dayton. Now I know these are cheap version of the actual Brand (except Scan R70) so don't judge.. They are all from online Wally-World but I don't give... I just want to get back to riding and that's all that matters. For what I looked at and know from the Walmart site is that all 3 bikes have Full Chromoly frame, Bars, Forks, Cranks and Double Wall Rims (except DK Dayton has chromoly mainframe...) Both the mongoose do not have the Pivotal Seat that the DK Dayton has... Which I am leaning more towards the DK at this point because the Bottom Braket is also sealed mid BB where as the mongoose bikes aren't... They are some crappy caged ball threaded american I believe... Also headsets are Threadless semi-intergrated on both Mongoose where as on the DK the headset is not sealed.. I'm assuming all hubs and pedals are unsealed on the DK Dayton because it doesn't say anything about it on the Description where as the back hubs of the Scan R70 is sealed from the searches I've done (Official mongoose site)... Nor does it say anything about the weights of these bikes... I believe the Mode 900 is right at 28lbs (searched bike check of previous owner on YouTube)... Kinda Heavy... And assuming the Scan R70 is a tad bit lighter... In the Q&A section DK saids the Dayton is at 27lbs... The lack of specs and description on the Walmart site has giving me a hard decision to make. I even went to the official site of Mongoose and DK for specs on these bikes but the only bike that popped up on their official site was the Scan R70... weird... I've heard the only difference between the Mode 900 and Scan R70 (back hub being sealed on the Scan R70 where as on the Mode 900 both hubs are unsealed) besides the color and the Decals... I am welling to replace and buy sealed headset, BB kits, Pivotals seat, seat post, and replace the grips with either Animal Edwin or Odi Longnecks. Replacing tires also... Seams like these bikes has their pros and cons... Should I go for the Scan R70 with 100% Chromoly 20.5" frame, 8.25" Rise Handlebars, everything sealed besides front hub, the bottom braket being crappy Caged ball American, and the 1 peace Seat/Seatpost combo or should I go with the Dayton 20.5" Chromoly main frame, 8" rise Handlebars, everything unsealed but with a Sealed Mid BB and a Pivotal Seat? hmmm.... Still leaning towards the (skeptical) DK Dayton....
What do you guys think???? Links Below

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Mongoose-Mode-900-Boys-Freestyle-Bike-Matte-Black/24413129

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Mongoose-Scan-R70-Pro-Freestyle-Boys-BMX-Bike/24246815

( http://www.mongoose.com/usa/scan-r70 )

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17012260?wmlspartner=je6NUbpObpQ&sourceid=13335381920138182563&oid=351988.1&u1=1hcm03q81xu9g&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

|

10/11/2014 7:16 PM

I see no links but I'll search on my own and get back to ya

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

10/11/2014 7:18 PM

Deffinately go with the scan r70. Seems far superior to the others. And the quality just looks better, doesn't look as much like a knock off

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

10/11/2014 7:25 PM

So should I just get the R70 and replace it with New Pivotal seat & seat post, grips, and tires???

|

10/11/2014 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2014 7:30 PM

And what about the bottom bracket and Cranks?... Should I replace those with new parts too?

|

10/11/2014 7:33 PM

Don't waste money on stuff you don't need. The Scan R70 looks pretty stacked, I personally wouldn't waste money replacing a perfectly good seat/post combo with new stuff just because it's pivotal. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Grips and tires can be changed because those are more of a comfort/preference thing, but other than that I'd leave it go and just save your money in case anything does happen to fail.

|

10/11/2014 7:45 PM

True that... If It's rideable then shred with it..

|

10/11/2014 8:38 PM

Honestly I would spend a little more money and buy a quality setup bike. If your thinking of taking apart the cranks and bearings and seat and what not then why bother buying a lower end bike? What do u do wi th the parts you've taken off? Spend a few more bucks and you'll be happy you did and will love the setup

|

10/11/2014 9:29 PM

craigslist.

Tacoma is full of bmx bikes. You'll get more for your money.

|

10/12/2014 12:53 PM

Seriously if you willing to drop a little more dollar get a used custom. $250/300 will buy you something proper, you'll thank me in the long run.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

10/12/2014 8:07 PM

Save up about 400 and you can get a decent starter bike.

|

It’s all bmx