Need Help With An Odd Headset

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2016 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 1:59 PM

I've been rebuilding an old frame and got together everything I need for a working bike. So I get to cleaning out the head tube then try popping in a 'modern' headset bearing.. it doesn't fit. It looks like it almost can, it doesn't. Headtube looks to be a smaller diameter I guess? So now I've got to buy/order something. Confusion hurting my brain at this point because the original fork works with modern bearings..

I looked the bike up:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=GT&Model=Fueler&Type=bike

copy pasted "Headset TH #IS-3, Integrated design"

first result:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/cyclocross/is-3-integrated-os-headset/

but it says "For 45mm OD headtube" .... "36 degrees/45 degrees ACB" (dafuq is acb?)

Are modern bmx frames that size? I have no clue. I browse around the FSA site a bit (I remember the original headset the bike came stock with said 'FSA Impact')

found this one:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/cyclocross/impact-integrated-headset/

"For 44mm OD Headtube" ..... "45 degrees/ 45 degrees ACB"

Ok? I'm pretty sure this ones it but I'd like some clarification from someone more knowledgeable about this stuff. I don't want to order the wrong thing.

And now I need to find one..... fun.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/10/2016 1:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:00 PM

Those are mtb, you need a 1 1/8" integrated for bmx.

ACB stands for angular contact bearing btw.

|

3/10/2016 2:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:04 PM

Bro, this frame has a euro bb and came with mtb cranks stock. I wouldn't be surprised if it is mtb bearings.

It's a dirt jumper. I'm just going by what bikepedia says. "Headset TH #IS-3, Integrated design"

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/10/2016 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:45 PM

alright, sorry. They're not mtb cranks. Looked em up: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/TRCKCW7LA/title/truvativ-luftalarm-crankset says BMX.

But they look like mtb cranks lol. Mine are 33t and didin't come with a guard.

|

3/10/2016 2:15 PM

Yeah not all frames adopted mid/spanish BB at the time, youll be fine with a regular bmx headset maybe post pictures so we are 100% sure

|

3/10/2016 2:19 PM

I've mentioned that I've already tried a regular headset. A kink one that I've used before.

ill get pics then.

|

3/10/2016 2:20 PM

I missed that, this is very peculiar. Maybe an internal? Ill check out the bike.

|

3/10/2016 3:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 3:11 PM

sorry it took so long. Used my camera and the desktop was being stupid so switched to a laptop.

Photo
I know that crease looks weird but the headtube is one piece (no cups). Its integrated. The bearings just kinda sit on top like that on both sides.

Photo

|

3/10/2016 3:14 PM

Fsa make loads of headsets of varying sizes. Does the old bearing have a part number on it? The only image I could find me a 2006 had an internal headset. That's not integrated. There's cups inside the frame rather than the frame being machined to fit the bearings in directly. Even the impact headset comes in a few different sizes, and they might be discontinued now (iirc I've had trouble getting them at work). Any 1 1/8th internal headset should fit. Just make sure it's not for tapered steerers. Fsa probably still have just the bearing, but replacing the whole headset would probably be less of a ball ache

|

3/10/2016 3:16 PM

I was typing that as you posted. That looks internal, definitely looks like there's cups in there

|

3/10/2016 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 3:28 PM

the first pic is of the bottom side of the headtube. The second is the top. The top side does not have that crease.

The crease makes it look like it has a cup for the bottom side. Nope. None. I've triple checked. Must just be some weird shit left over from machining or something. I'm positive the headtube is completely integrated.

my second FSA link says integrated, and also 44mm OD headtube.

does that look like 1mm off to you guys?

and what is "OD".. outer diameter is my stupid guess...

|

3/10/2016 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 3:33 PM

I just had a quick Google search myself. Seems like the only 44mm headsets they do are semi integrated (posh way of saying internal). Have you checked the original bearings for part no.?

Can you get a side pic of the headtube, and one at a slight angle?

|

3/10/2016 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 3:34 PM

holy shit, lol. I think the bottom of the headtube has that piece of metal laminated on OVER the actual headtube which is one piece (integrated). Don't know wtf they were thinking there.. style points? hahaha

sure grump, give me a minute..

|

3/10/2016 3:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 3:39 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I just had a quick Google search myself. Seems like the only 44mm headsets they do are semi integrated (posh way of saying ...more

Bad luck. No original bearings to check. I've only got frame, fork and cranks+sprocket left. Its been like 9 years since this thing was together.

this is like the only pic online that bearly shows what the original headset cap looked like
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/26796/1

|

3/10/2016 3:41 PM

Frame is fucked lol . Drill the bitch or something . Make a notch or whatever so you can push it in ? lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/10/2016 3:57 PM

Photo

Photo

|

3/10/2016 4:18 PM

Definetly looks like an internal which is pretty much defunct nowadays, maybe check danscomp or lbs.

|

3/10/2016 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 5:38 PM

https://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/group/Internal+Headsets.html

Otherwise google shopping had an internal headset from FSA for like 18 bucks.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/26796

This dude said Integrated but it is internal.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/10/2016 11:15 PM

36/45 sounds like some kind of Chris King. Campy spec is 45/45, which is standard for integrated headsets.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/10/2016 11:21 PM

Definitely looks internal. There's no chamfer in that frame by the look of it. This is what an integrated headtube should look like
Photo

|