Need Help With Kids Bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2016 8:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 8:53 AM

Looking for a source for 12" bike tires. Specifically looking for a set in orange. Google, ebay, amazon are all a bust. Something like a Kenda Kontact would be perfect. Hoping to get a less aggressive tread pattern than the Comp 3 style that seems to be the most common. But at this point it would take pretty much any tire in orange. Found a set of Kontacts in pink on ebay but other than that I'm coming up with nothing.

Picked up a classic 12" Dyno VFR and am fixing it up. It's chrome with all black parts and some orange in the stickers that doesn't really stand out. I think some orange tires would make the orange stickers really pop.

Any help is much appreciated!

|

4/14/2016 9:41 AM

KINK Bike Co. is using 12" tires on their completes. Not sure what brand, though. The description for the bike says it's Kink Wanda tires, but they look to be Kenda...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/14/2016 11:23 AM

Those would be perfect. There's got to be a way to get them. I bet they have them in all the colors the 20" versions come in. Probably just not popular in North America. The kink kids bikes do look to have the Kenda's on them. But the kink website only lists the kink brand tires though. Thanks for the tip I will keep searching! Next stop will be my LBS to see if they can find anything at their distributor. I would have tried to buy there anyways. But I like being able to show them a part number or at least brand and model to make it easier.

|

4/14/2016 12:17 PM

Wanda is a tyre brand, they come on a lot of cheap bikes. But from a quick Google search it looks like you can only buy direct. They don't have a distributor from what I could see. Other than searching Google, I have no other suggestions

|

4/14/2016 12:30 PM

Thanks! I checked them out Wanda too. Looks like they might be another possibility. It's crazy how difficult it is to find 12 inch tires! Even on Kenda's website I couldn't find any 12" Kontacts even though I know they exist. Maybe they are just paying some other company to crank out the 12" stuff. Might have to go a different route for the little guy's color scheme. I got time since he's only 6 months old haha.

|

4/14/2016 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 1:30 PM

Came across this thing! It's a bit knobby, if anything, but it is indeed a 12" tire. It's made by Duro, a brand that I've never heard of until now, so I have no clue how this holds up, but I think it's the best bet at the moment. Not exactly orange, but its the closest color I've found so far.

Photo

|

4/14/2016 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 9:18 PM

Yes I saw that too! In some of the listings it looks pretty orange. I ended up getting a set of black Innova tires that have a bead similar to a kenda kontact. The guy at my LBS said he has seen a lot of kids bikes come with coloured tires but aftermarket tires can only be had in pretty much black or white. Going to un-lace the rims and paint the rims orange instead. They have some rust spots through the chrome plating. They'll never look like new again unless they are painted. So might as well go that route for the colour scheme.

Thanks for the help!

|

4/14/2016 9:29 PM

Sweet! Glad you got what you needed! :D

|