Need Help picking a bike

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2018 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 2:38 PM

Hi,
I am looking for a first bike and came across too many choices pls help... I am about 5'10 and I am 16.
I also put my Right foot forward, so would I need a LHD? My budget was around 400, but i found the Eastern Element for 250.
FIt Spriet http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/fit-spriet-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod163065 $350
Kink Gap LHD http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/kink-gap-lhd-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod161076 $320
Eastern Element http://www.easternbikes.com/element $250
Any other recommendations?
Thanks



|

1/23/2018 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 2:54 PM

No to the Eastern & the kink gap. Neither it's 100% Chromoly frame. Fit.. maybe. But at $400, your best bet would be the 2017 Eastern shovelhead. It's got everything you need for $399 delivered. Full Chromoly frame fork, bars. Sealed everything, heat treated Chromoly 48-spline cranks. The 2018 Is $60 more so if you want that price the 17 is the way to go. There are limited qualities of the 2017 models & they are only available in the black & camo but that's the best deal going at that price.

|

1/23/2018 3:02 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

No to the Eastern & the kink gap. Neither it's 100% Chromoly frame. Fit.. maybe. But at $400, your best bet would be the 2017 Eastern shovelhead. It's got everything you need for $399 delivered. Full Chromoly frame fork, bars. Sealed everything, heat treated Chromoly 48-spline cranks. The 2018 Is $60 more so if you want that price the 17 is the way to go. There are limited qualities of the 2017 models & they are only available in the black & camo but that's the best deal going at that price.

Thanks, but is the eastern Element not full chromoly? I looked at the specs and can't find anything that isn't chromoly.

|

1/23/2018 3:11 PM

The 2017 element isn't full Chromoly (the one you linked to above) The 2018 is full Chromoly frame and fork but it has hi tens bars so you'd want to change this out once you started progressing. But, the 2018 element, while full Chromoly, the parts specs aren't as good as the 2017 Shovelhead for the same money. Plus the 18 element isn't available until spring.

|

1/23/2018 3:21 PM

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102962/2018_Fit_Long_Bike_(Morgan_Long).html

https://www.danscomp.com/products/101009/2018_Haro_SD_AM_Bike_(Dennis_Enarson).html

Or the shovelhead.

These 3 seem to be the only full chromo bikes around your budget. The Haro comes with a freecoaster, I think it might be worth it to save up a bit more and get that.

|

1/23/2018 4:09 PM

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/23/2018 4:12 PM

|

4/26/2018 10:16 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The 2017 element isn't full Chromoly (the one you linked to above) The 2018 is full Chromoly frame and fork but it has hi tens bars so you'd want to change this out once you started progressing. But, the 2018 element, while full Chromoly, the parts specs aren't as good as the 2017 Shovelhead for the same money. Plus the 18 element isn't available until spring.

Unless I'm missing something, looks like the 2017 is all Chromoly

http://www.easternbikes.com/element-2017?custcoldd_matrix_year=2&custcol23=80

|

4/26/2018 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2018 10:35 AM

mike90 wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, looks like the 2017 is all Chromoly

http://www.easternbikes.com/element-2017?custcoldd_matrix_year=2&custcol23=80

Photo

You have to be mindful of the wording used. That indicates that only the TT, DT, CS are Chromo. The tubes not mentioned will be hitens and that's no good.

Compare that with the 2018 models wording.

Photo
|

4/26/2018 10:38 AM

Lucid Focks wrote: Photo

You have to be mindful of the wording used. That indicates that only the TT, DT, CS are Chromo. The tubes not mentioned will be hitens and that's no good.

Compare that with the 2018 models wording.

Photo

Gotcha thanks! So what are the "tubes" that you said are not mentioned? Which "tubes" would those be?

|

4/26/2018 10:39 AM

Lucid Focks wrote: Photo

You have to be mindful of the wording used. That indicates that only the TT, DT, CS are Chromo. The tubes not mentioned will be hitens and that's no good.

Compare that with the 2018 models wording.

Photo

I think sometimes we're too critical. I think that's enough chromo in the right places for a beginner. My first frame was 100% hi tens and I was on a new aftermarket frame long before I was experienced enough to worry about the strength of the hi tens one. That was at least two years until I upgraded, if I recall.

|

4/26/2018 10:41 AM

mike90 wrote:

Gotcha thanks! So what are the "tubes" that you said are not mentioned? Which "tubes" would those be?

Seat Stays, Seat Tube, Head Tube? Perhaps even the Bottom Bracket. I wish manufacturers would be more concise with their wording. It's a trap for new gamers.

|

4/26/2018 10:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2018 10:43 AM

mike90 wrote:

Gotcha thanks! So what are the "tubes" that you said are not mentioned? Which "tubes" would those be?

Any frame that's 100% Chromoly, will say just that. Anything else will list the tubes that are Chromoly & the remaining parts are hi-ten steel.

SO... there's the Top Tube (TT), Down Tube (DT), Seat Tube (ST), Chain Stays (CS), Seat Stays (SS), Head Tube (HT), Bottom Bracket (Bcool, and Dropouts (usually just spelled out.

|

4/26/2018 10:43 AM

Lucid Focks wrote:

Seat Stays, Seat Tube, Head Tube? Perhaps even the Bottom Bracket. I wish manufacturers would be more concise with their wording. It's a trap for new gamers.

Don't think that isn't on purpose.

|

4/26/2018 10:45 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Don't think that isn't on purpose.

I completely agree that it is on purpose. Hence the "It's a trap for new gamers." tongue

|

4/26/2018 10:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2018 10:48 AM

Thanks all for the reply. I just ordered this in white since I had a bunch of amazon gift cards and it was in my price range. This is my very first BMX bike so wish me luck! smile What's a good helmet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQLHE8X/ref=twister_B01NA8K97H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

|

4/26/2018 11:02 AM

mike90 wrote:

Thanks all for the reply. I just ordered this in white since I had a bunch of amazon gift cards and it was in my price range. This is my very first BMX bike so wish me luck! smile What's a good helmet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQLHE8X/ref=twister_B01NA8K97H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Congrats! Hopefully it serves you well. smile

I can't recommend any helmets as I don't wear one, but whatever you get make sure that it's certified.

|

4/26/2018 11:10 AM

mike90 wrote:

Thanks all for the reply. I just ordered this in white since I had a bunch of amazon gift cards and it was in my price range. This is my very first BMX bike so wish me luck! smile What's a good helmet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQLHE8X/ref=twister_B01NA8K97H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sweet. That'll do you just fine, honestly. As far as helmets go, buy what you like but MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE it is certified. Buying an uncertified helmet is like drinking decaf espresso. Absolutely pointless.

I hate wearing helmets but I have the Shadow Conspiracy Featherweight. Honestly after 5 mins of riding I completely forget I have it on.

Again, any helmet AS LONG AS IT IS CERTIFIED.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.