Need a quick help ASAP 28h or 36h wheelset

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2014 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2014 7:23 AM

Hi guys, I ordered a new wheelset for my 8 year old son racing bike and I need to confirm the order tonight if not they will cancel it and loose the 20% discount..

What I ordered was a set of stealth expert hubs 36h with anklebiter 36h rims as I want something we can use on an expert bike in the future so I don't have to buy a new wheelset again.

Now, I 'm not sure if I should go with junior size stealth hubs with bombshell 28h rims instead as we can save and extra 6.06oz +/-. He has a redline flight junior stock bike.

If I try to shave those 6.06oz, will that really help or is that something he wont notice that much when racing? The weight difference is mainly on the rims and then a bit on spokes. Hubs are the same weight basically and both hubs are rated for a 130 lb.

He only weights 50 pounds, he is skinny. I was told I can use these set of wheels on an expert bike and even use a 1 3/8 set of tires on the same rims, he currently has 1 1/8 tires. A vendor told me that in the future I can even use the same hubs and relace them on a new set of 1.5 rims which that sounds good. But I'm worry if I go the 28h route is when he start jumping a lot. He is learning how to jump now and he is looking forward for big jumps. He does take care of the bike.

How much is too much weight for a 28h wheels when doing big jumps and how much abuse can they hold?

I know if I go the 36h route it would be better at least for the future, but I'm not sure if I should help him by shaving those 6.06oz from the total weight of the wheels.

Thanks for any quick reply.

JR

|

12/4/2014 7:50 AM

Stay with the 36, if looking to save a few ounces you can add a few ti or butted spokes but not really necessary..could even choose a tire with less weight. . Im sure either way he wouldnt notice and if so, itll be for that first time riding them. I used to keep my wheels really light, started making everything heavier, I noticed the first day of riding but after that, no difference.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

12/4/2014 9:54 AM

id stay 36.

just get light tires. you don't really notice much, especially starting out... but tires would be an easy one

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/4/2014 11:02 AM

Is he freestyling or racing ?

|

12/4/2014 11:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2014 11:10 AM

eskimojay wrote:

He is racing, no free styling at all.

|

12/4/2014 11:07 AM

sketchytravis wrote:

id stay 36.

just get light tires. you don't really notice much, especially starting out... but tires would be an easy one

The tires he has are the maxxis dht. They are very light.

|

12/4/2014 11:07 AM

Harry Main runs 28h with Ti-spokes. If hes light and lands smooth then it shouldn't be a problem, but yes 36h is much stronger.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/4/2014 11:13 AM

Would u consider bombshell wheels a strong wheel?

|

12/4/2014 12:11 PM

eskimojay wrote:

wellcraft wrote:

He is racing, no free styling at all.

you mentioned he is jumping now and looking forward to go bigger, 36h, less maintenance and stronger. 6 ounces is nothing and Im sure his wheelset now is heavier then what you are purchasing

|

REFS-

Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

12/4/2014 12:17 PM

I weighted the stock wheels vs a set of bombshell with profile elite hubs and the difference is about 5.5oz in total.
I just learned that I could go with a 1 3/8 rim instead of the 1 1/8 he has and go 36h and use a 1 1/8 tire on that 1 3/8 rim.

I was going with ankle bitter and would like to go with bombshell and they basically weight the same even though the bombshells are a bit bigger. And he would be able to use it 8n an expert size frame with no problems.

Does that sounds good?

|

12/4/2014 12:27 PM

wellcraft wrote:

I weighted the stock wheels vs a set of bombshell with profile elite hubs and the difference is about 5.5oz in total.
I just ...more

so instead of the stealth hubs youre gonna choose the elites?

|

REFS-

12/4/2014 12:29 PM

No, we barrow a set of wheels with the profile elites to try them but we are getting the stealth hubs.

|

12/4/2014 12:36 PM

Im sure either rims will hold up well for him, In all, I would stick with 36h, if hes looking to go bigger and harder, youll have more of that strength with no worries. Plus, youll probably see more rim options should you want to upgrade.

|

REFS-

12/4/2014 3:49 PM

Thanks guys. I will go with the stealth hubs 36h and bombshell rims and double butter spokes. Instead of the mini rims I'll be getting the expert rims. Even thoug the wheels are expert size they are suppose to weight about the same as the 36h anklebitters mini. The bombshells are lighter.

|

12/5/2014 3:44 PM

Just my opinion here.
If your child is 8 now and will be running an expert at age 10. If he is competitive now and then, I doubt you will be sticking an (almost 2 year) old wheelset on a new expert setup.

Only way I can see one doing that is if they need to, money wise.

|