Need bike reccomendations

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2017 10:49 AM

I'm looking for a good beginner/intermediate BMX bike for around $450. I want a bike that can do most things without needing to worry about it breaking.

|

2/18/2017 3:30 PM

Look for full chromoly frame/forks/bars, double wall rims and sealed bearings.

|

2/19/2017 9:33 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Look for full chromoly frame/forks/bars, double wall rims and sealed bearings.

Is there any complete bikes out there that offer all that for around $450. I am also willing to go a little higher if it will get me a more durable bike

|

2/19/2017 9:56 AM

The Hoffman bama is a good deal for what you get

|

2/19/2017 9:58 AM

|

2/19/2017 1:04 PM

Is it true chrome frames break faster though? I'm looking for the best parts with the best durability so would that be a turn off for what I want?

|

2/19/2017 2:20 PM

ConnerYs wrote:

Is it true chrome frames break faster though? I'm looking for the best parts with the best durability so would that be a turn ...more

That frame's not chrome. It's raw chromoly + clearcoat, no paint.
But anyway, I've never heard of that re durability.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

2/19/2017 2:50 PM

ConnerYs wrote:

Is it true chrome frames break faster though? I'm looking for the best parts with the best durability so would that be a turn ...more

Haha no it's just the raw color

|

2/19/2017 5:46 PM

Ok thanks if anyone has any other good bike suggestions gust let me no

|

2/19/2017 6:29 PM

I was looking at the Hoffman 'Bama as well a while back...not bad to start with. I was looking at it b/c of the 74.5 HT angle as well as the bang for the buck. I have decided to save more and go for a Verde Luxe

Also try the Colony Endeavour. I don't remember the price, but I think it is near where you are...and it has some better parts to start with than the "Bama

Some other things to consider...
Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/19/2017 6:36 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I was looking at the Hoffman 'Bama as well a while back...not bad to start with. I was looking at it b/c of the 74.5 HT angle ...more

Eairler I was looking at the link whip and the fit tom Dugan bike. Are those any good? The colony bike you recommended was a little expensive but if I need to pay that much for a good bike, I will

|

2/19/2017 6:41 PM

Also would it be better to increase my budget? If so, what is a good starter budget

|

2/19/2017 6:51 PM

ConnerYs wrote:

Also would it be better to increase my budget? If so, what is a good starter budget

To answer both questions, I think the Whip and the Dugan are decent, but from what i remember they are NOT full chromoly...just the front triangle is. The Bama is in the same price point...and possibly lower,,, than those 2 bikes, and is full chromoly.

AS far as the budget goes, I am a proponent of spending a bit more in the beginning to save more in the end. That is why I upped my budget to afford the Verde. I would rather have a solid skeleton of the bike (frame/fork/bars/crank arms/wheels) and only pay for them once. Certain parts are going to wear, and they can be replaced by better as they do. I am pretty poor by nature, so I tend to buy a bike and ride it into dust. I don't have the luxury to get "bored" with a bike after a couple of months and just buy new stuff. Granted, i don't ride as hard as many on this site b/c I am old, but I still like to jump, hop and am trying to learn 180's this spring...

I think you should not "buy as a beginner", but buy like you are going to get better, and you want the bike to be able to hang with you along the way...PLUS, if you decide that you don't like it, a better bike is going to hold it's resale value better...sort of

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

2/19/2017 7:00 PM

ConnerYs wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

To answer both questions, I think the Whip and the Dugan are decent, but from what i remember they are NOT full ...more

I believe the kink whip and the fit bike are both full chromoly but not double wall rims. I want to get a bike that is expensive enough to be good but not overpriced for a "beginner"

|

2/19/2017 7:16 PM

That would be the 'Bama, or the Colony for me. Not that I don't like Kink of Fit products, but I just wouldn't compromise the skeletal strength stuff...and double walled rims are part of that for me.

Also, make sure you read up on how the geometry will effect the ride. You don't want to spend ANY amount of money on a bike that won't fit you and how you ride.

Here are some other ones that I wish I could get: (my fiance just saw me on Dans Comp and said "you are NOT getting another bike!!")

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102819/2017_We_The_People_Crysis_Bike.html

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102791/2017_Verde_Neyer_Pro_Bike_(Tony_Neyer).html
* I am admittedly a Verde fanboi...I think this bike is killer, especially in the matte army green. Plus Neyer is one of my favorite riders

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102888/2017_Fly_Bikes_Proton_Bike.html

these are just above your price range...but not by much. With some of the coupon codes and even possibly seeing if older models are available you could get these closer to where you want to be...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

2/19/2017 7:46 PM

So in your personal opinion, I should raise my budget to around $575? If I do I will probably get the wtp crisis but I will definitely do more research

|