Need help

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2014 8:37 AM

So i have just recieved my new pedals, at in the time of tightening them, once they are a bit inside the crank, they look like they are more in one side. Pic: Photo

Photo
At that point its pretty hard to right them more.
Should i keep tighting?

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/12/2014 8:41 AM

No, maybe you have slightly stripped thread on the cranks, and if you tighten you could cross thread. Get someone to take a look at both threads, if you are not sure. Worst case scenario, is you need to replace cranks.

|

6/12/2014 9:31 AM

More pics: Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

6/12/2014 10:20 AM

Try backing them out and getting them in as straight as possible and see if they thread in smoothly.

If they are going in crooked still you have likely cross threaded your cranks.

If you are able to get your hands on a pedal tap you can likely fix the threads on your crank. The best way to do this would be to put the tap in through the back side of your crank arm as the threads on the inside are less likely to be damaged.

Your local bike shop should have this tap and should be able to help you with it.

FYI - You should be using a little bit of grease on your pedal spindles when installing pedals! It helps them go in smoothly and come out easily after.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/12/2014 10:30 AM

If the threaded portion of your spindle is the same width as you crankarm try threading the pedal itself from the backside of the crankarm. You may be able to straighten the threads out that way. If that doesn't work a tap will be needed as Chris mentioned.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

6/12/2014 12:33 PM

As said above, make sure your threads are in good shape. Also clean them out real good for dirt and such. Measure the space inbetween your pedal axle and your crank arm, make sure they are going in STRAIGHT (even space all the way around.)

Also, my friend had just got brand new Animal Akimbos and when installing his pedals, they literally would NOT go in straight at all. We tried atleast 50 times and multiple people tried. We were doing everything correct. We concluded they were drilled wrong and my friend called dans. After 30mins of attempting to call dans my friend finally got an answer, and as soon as he finished explaining the situation I got the pedals to go on absolutely no problem. It was the weirdest shit ever.

So try calling dans and telling them whats going on and then hang up on them and try to put them on again.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/12/2014 12:44 PM

Grease the threads on your pedals, start tightening the pedals, if it becomes difficult to tighten before the pedals are all the way in your cranks then your cranks are cross threaded and you will need something to "clean out" the threads. Check your LBS for a tap or ask a friend or neighbor if they have one that would fix it.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/12/2014 2:11 PM

Okay okay, problem solved, i have been riding the cranks arm switched 6 months LOL.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

6/12/2014 3:20 PM

T-rider wrote:

Okay okay, problem solved, i have been riding the cranks arm switched 6 months LOL.

Ahahaha don't you hate it when you make those little mistakes!?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/12/2014 3:40 PM

That's a bad ass back tire... What is that the clear wall fafs?

|

6/12/2014 4:19 PM

Hahahaha! You Plonker! That made Me chuckle! Well at least You've got Your Cranks fitted correctly now! smile

|

6/13/2014 8:48 AM

Bad threads, bent cranks, damaged pedal thread inserts. Those are the likely causes. Put your old pedals back on carefully and see if they sit crooked. Also MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PEDALS ON THE CORRECT SIDE.

I have seen people mess that one up purely due to having left side drive on their bike and forgetting.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura