Need help. Buying cheap used beginner BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2018 1:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 1:27 PM

Hi all.
Im a young hearted adult. Been riding bikes all my life. From daily commute to downhill in the alps.
I wanna try the local pump track. I need help to decide between witch of the few used BMX in budget to get or avoid.
My budget is very low about 200 euro´s or dollars

I weigh in at 65kg or 145lbs and my height is 177cm or 5,8"inches

|

3/28/2018 1:19 PM

Mongoose Legion L100 if your budget is below $300...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/28/2018 1:24 PM

Im corrently looking at these two bikes.

1. WeThePeople Crysis 2011

It looks in excellent condition but I have been warned about SALT parts(?)

https://www.flcuk.com/bmx-bikes/300-400/p4232s281/wethepeople-crysis-2011-purple-archived.htm

Second is an unknown GT (?)

Photo

https://www.dba.dk/bmx-gt-1-gear-20-tommer/id-1042796519/billeder/3/

|

3/28/2018 1:30 PM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Im corrently looking at these two bikes.

1. WeThePeople Crysis 2011

It looks in excellent condition but I have been warned ...more

The crysis would be better than the second one but still far from ideal.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2018 1:32 PM

I am from a small ish town and BMX is not that popular and half do race so the second hand market is slim

|

3/28/2018 1:33 PM

I’m in the UK and will be selling my WTP build in the next few days. Got a new frame on order.
Looks like this minus cranks, sprocket, bars, Seat & post.
Photo

It’s a WTP Trust 2013 Full Chromo 21”TT restored and powder coated.
Will have the Odyssey Evo II and mono lever.

I’ve used it to learn and build up while I have been buying parts for my custom.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll look into shipping costs

|

If you build it, they will come

3/28/2018 1:40 PM

Thanks alot for the quick answers.

Im really hoping to get a complete BMX and not start with a rebuild or semi. I wanna ride it not work on it smile

|

3/28/2018 1:49 PM

It would have everything you need to ride. I have everything, apart from tyres. I have all the original parts from the complete I bought plus new parts I won’t be using on my custom.

The offer is there

|

If you build it, they will come

3/30/2018 6:03 AM

@ LS1982

Thanks a lot for the offer. I would just prefer to buy a bike that a can see before hand. I have been roped online previously.

|

3/30/2018 6:09 AM

M
O
N
G
O
O
S
E

L
E
G
I
O
N

L

|

3/30/2018 6:23 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

I am from a small ish town and BMX is not that popular and half do race so the second hand market is slim

If ANYONE in your town besides you does bmx, then you don't have it that bad
I'm literally the only one in my town who freestyles, and everyone that races just uses mtb nowadays (I'm talking shitty, department store mtb too)

Like everyone said though, Mongoose Legion L100
It's got full chromoly everything
Female front hub (unsealed)
Sealed rear hub (male)
21" TT (so there's plenty of room for most sizes)
Rear brake
Decent brake lever
Gyro tabs (removable)
And even more

Just because it's a mongoose doesn't mean it's not good, the legion l100 is a legit bike, just with a brand that is not so legit nowadays stamped with stickers on it. Bulletpup, a popular user of vitalbmx, pretty much debunked the bike and actually owns a 2017 and 2018 model. If you buy the bike, the only thing you'll need are pegs, and probably some new pedals if you are going to do pedal grinds (I'd use odyssey twisted PC or Deco PC pedals).

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/30/2018 7:37 AM

Mongoose Legion L100.

|

3/30/2018 10:30 PM

Are you guys dumb? I said used with a 200 $ BUGDET! STFU now with that Mongoose shit alright.

|

3/31/2018 12:57 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Are you guys dumb? I said used with a 200 $ BUGDET! STFU now with that Mongoose shit alright.

Mongoose Legion L100 without a doubt.

|

3/31/2018 6:05 AM

Retard community

|

3/31/2018 6:12 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100smile

|

Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2018 9:08 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Nobody here is going to say anything that isn't full Chromoly is any good, long term. & it's for a reason. Hi-tens... Especially for an adult is a weak choice. If you are just going to cruise around, that'll be fine. But it won't last if you are actually plan to progress in BMX. So, if you are only going to cruise around, get whatever is comfortable to ride

& for your information, the Mongoose Legion L100 is the best deal going on a budget. If you are an adult, you know how to save money. & in the case of BMX there are two ways. 1.) The old fashioned way by stashing your cash away a little at a time. & 2.) By buying something decent right away that is more expensive upfront but cheaper long term because it'll last you. So, if you want to buy a piece of junk, go ahead. But don't think anyone hear is "dumb". You aren't going to win over "friends" that way. We are trying to guide you. We have a TON more experience that you. If you don't want to follow it, that's on you. But you aren't going to get a ton of support when your bike breaks.

|

Mongoose Legion L100

|

3/31/2018 6:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2018 6:14 AM

Oh did your hear? The Mongoose Legion L100 is an amazing bike full chomoly and double wall rims! That bike is amazing! I think you should buy that!

|

3/31/2018 6:14 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Nobody here is going to say anything that isn't full Chromoly is any good, long term. & it's for a reason. Hi-tens... ...more

Yeah dude the Mongoose Legion L100 is awesome!

|

3/31/2018 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2018 6:16 AM

Damn! How has no one reccomended the Mongoose Legion L100 yet?

|

3/31/2018 8:50 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Hey Freddie, I'm new to bmx as well, please consider that a bike is a investment like a car. It needs maintenance and new parts sometimes. Its worth it sometimes to pay more for a more reliable car and will actually cost you less. If you get a super cheap bike like most of what can be had for under $200. Its like buying a super cheap car. Its likely to break and cost you way more money.

So heres what you should look for in a bike.
Chromoly is lighter and stronger. Try for as much chromo as possible. (Frame, forks, bars, cranks)

Sealed everything! This is important even more since you want to ride pump tracks. Sealed bearings in the wheels, bottom bracket, etc. keep dirt out and keep your bike running.

Double wall rims. Single wall front wheel isnt the end of the world but double is better.

48 spline cranks. Cranks are pretty expensive. 48 are alot stronger then 8 spline that come on most completes.

Female axles are stronger then male, male isnt horrible just not ideal.

You're gonna be spending at least $400 for a new complete with these features. (Eastern Shovelhead)

Or go used, I drove almost two hours to get a nice used bike since not much was near me. I got a bike that is well over $1000 new for $320 used. There are people willing to ship as well.

Please understand that we are trying to help. No one is going to recommend a cheap piece of junk even if thats all the money you have.

PLEASE look at prices of parts on Dans comp, Albe's, source, empire etc. If you buy a cheap bike and break the frame, forks, cranks, etc its very expensive to fix. And that assumes you are doing the work. If you gotta pay a shop thats even more money! And now that you spent $100+ on new parts and labor you still have a mostly cheap bike but with one nice part. You should have just saved and bought a nice bike to begin with.

I know you said you want to ride not work on it, but thats what you are asking for with a cheap bike.

Cheers, good luck

|

3/31/2018 10:29 PM

You guys are hype beast´. STFU with all this bull shit.

I wrote in my post that I only needed a cheap second hand BMX to try the local pump track. Nothing more. Go suck on some VANS shoes. Retard hype beast kids.

|

3/31/2018 11:19 PM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

You guys are hype beast. STFU with all this bull shit.

I wrote in my post that I only needed a cheap second hand BMX to try ...more

If you're patient enough you can get the Mongoose Legion L100 on sale.

|

4/1/2018 3:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2018 3:47 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Hi all.
Im a young hearted adult. Been riding bikes all my life. From daily commute to downhill in the alps.
I wanna try the ...more

If you want to try the local pump track, hang out there and ask to ride someone's BMX if someone with a BMX does show up. It might not be for you.

If you've done that already and know what you are getting into, then, regarding the options, it would be better to go with the WTP Crysis. The GT looks older than 2011, and the crysis line started getting good around 2011-2012.

There's no doubt that it has lasted the first rider; that thing can take a beating. The 2014 Crysis was my first bike. Nothing to worry about Salt parts; they're high quality and solid.

As for all the sealed/unsealed stuff, as you will be riding it from time to time and not everyday, it doesn't make a big difference. It's just gonna be much more of a pain in the ass to clean out the junk and re-grease the bearings from time to time (and they can get loose too, but there's something like a few months of riding between overhauls if you're riding only occasionally).

Just make sure that the frame is in good condition, and that the hubs/bottom bracket/head tube bearings are in good shape (i.e not bent, no deep gouges, no play, no clicking noises, no drag or grinding).

I understand that the BMX will not be your primary bike; rather something to jerk around with in random occasions. The mid-school geometry is a nice touch that will make the occasional mountain-bike to BMX transition easier for you (I too am a MTBiker -a bike mechanic also- at the foot of the alps, and moving from the MTB to the BMX from time to time takes a few minutes getting used to because of the radical change in geo).

This is why the WTP choice is a good one. Good bike, good parts, respectable company, exceptional reputation. You should take it. Good luck and have fun.

As for your nice comments, please make an effort and tune down the hate.

We're all different; the world is a complex place. Understanding this makes us more tolerant. People on this forum are not only 13 year old kids repeating what other say, and as I would quote all the people above, who have taken what is most valuable to us, (time, effort and energy) to give you advice, we have more knowledge on this matter. Why would you insult someone with more experience, making the effort of hoisting you up to their level? Would you insult your father?

I trust that you are mature enough to respect the primary rules of social conduct. We might be hype kids sucking on vans and full of bullshit, but at the end of the day, it's all about the riding and sharing the fun of riding on two wheels, whereas we're on a road bike, a mountain bike, or a BMX.

Cheers.
Skylight.

BTW: I have a few BMX friends from Prague, I hope to ride the place one day, the scene looks alive and some great spots! Where are you in the CZE rep?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

4/1/2018 7:00 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100smile

|

4/1/2018 9:27 AM

Mon
Goo
Se
Leg
Ion
L
#HYPE

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/1/2018 9:56 AM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

I must have missed something, what is a hype beast and why is everyone here one(or a retard for that matter) for recommending what is probably the best value bike on the market? As for the 'kids' part, as far as I'm aware, the average age here is around 25-30. We're just pointing you away from the mistakes we've made in the past.

I guess the old idiom is true; you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/1/2018 12:48 PM

@ SkyLight

Thanks for the answer. There are some nice people still. Not many...

|

4/1/2018 12:56 PM

FreddieFox500 wrote:

@ SkyLight

Thanks for the answer. There are some nice people still. Not many...

Alot of us on here are very nice and cool people, you asked us a question, and we're answering it for you, we're alot more experienced than you about bike components, but after you started being a dick and calling us "retards" then we get pissed. We're trying to help your dumbass and your want to call us retards? Fine, just be ready for us to troll you and be dicks backsmile

|