Need help choosing budget wheelset

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2017 10:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 10:45 PM

I recently started riding after forever, im 35yrs. I need a new wheelset and my budget is 180$ ive been eyeing the Revenge Industries set but on ebay i can buy a set of Cinema tungsten or cinema zx wheels for 180$ or so.
Ive seen brands like Mission, verde, stolen... have wheels for around the same price. Any suggestions colors or brands dont matter, im not afraid of paint. Thanks.

|

10/12/2017 10:59 PM

They're probably all really similar to be honest. Cinema make good rims, but their cheaper rims, and the hubs on those wheels are probably pretty much just rebranded, like you'd get on a half decent complete.
As long as they're double wall and welded, with good sealed bearings (2 in the shell, 4 in the driver, or bushes in the driver), they'll do the job

|

10/12/2017 11:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 11:08 PM

Thanks, the only welded rims are the tungsten wheels (777 rim). This is my bike and the wheels dont roll well and im always fixing the rims because i case on stuff often. So, i need new wheels but im gonna smash those too while i learn

Photo

|

10/13/2017 5:07 AM

What tire pressure are you running that you are fixing you rims often? Not that this is an answer to your quest for a new wheelset but if you get a new wheelset but still run 40 PSI, you'll be in this same situation in no time. Higher pressure tires will help keep your rims dent-free.

|

10/13/2017 5:25 AM

I would defiantly recommend the Revenge Industry wheelset for sure... they seem very solid and I know DanTheBikerMan on here rode them and he said they held up pretty well... also what Mishinn_Control said about tire pressure... if you run power tire pressure then you'll dent and damage your rims more.... so run higher tire pressure and it should happen less often...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/13/2017 8:31 AM

OP I hate to rain on this but theres a lot more that goes into you buying a new wheelset here that no one has caught onto. If youre buying any of those wheelsets then you also would need to get a smaller sprocket as well because most of those wheels come with 9 tooth drivers.

Problem with THAT is that you have chainstay brakes, and micro drive will not clear the brakes or even the posts. You either need to get a hub that's freewheel compatible and get that laced to a new rim so that your chainline stays pretty much the same(this is recommended if yore hell bent on sticking with your bike), or somehow find a hub with an 11-12t driver (expensive) so you can run 33t or up in the front, which from my experience is the size you need to avoid clearance issues.

|

10/13/2017 9:45 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

OP I hate to rain on this but theres a lot more that goes into you buying a new wheelset here that no one has caught onto. If ...more

Thanks for your concern. I already have a 28t sprocket and am willing to go brakeless if i have to. Ive been reading threads in this forum and some parts at my LBS and asked questions for a few months but this is my first time asking for advice here because i trust the experience.

|

10/13/2017 9:48 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What tire pressure are you running that you are fixing you rims often? Not that this is an answer to your quest for a new ...more

Im running cheap kenda contact tires that are rated for 60 psi. I ran them at 55psi for awhile. My 2 inch bunnyhop and my fat old body didnt help save my rims either. Yet, sometimes we have more balls then brains.

|

10/13/2017 9:57 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What tire pressure are you running that you are fixing you rims often? Not that this is an answer to your quest for a new ...more

Rubio151 wrote:

Im running cheap kenda contact tires that are rated for 60 psi. I ran them at 55psi for awhile. My 2 inch bunnyhop and my fat ...more

LOL. I hear ya. I'd suggest investing in some quality, high PSI tires with whatever wheelset you buy. Just to help save them from dings.

|

10/13/2017 11:23 AM

Try out some haro sata wheels

|

10/14/2017 2:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2017 2:06 AM

Rubio151 wrote:

I recently started riding after forever, im 35yrs. I need a new wheelset and my budget is 180$ ive been eyeing the Revenge ...more

I really like Mission ever since they proved to me they are 100% going to back me up if I have any problems with their wheel.

I own the convoy female cassette wheel. Its the cheapest quality female cassette wheel I was able to find $120.00 and I love it.

They make great stuff. If youre into female you could probably get front and back for less than 200 if you look around.

The convoy, intrepid, brigade and invade are female and the react is a male, odyssey parts compatible, cassette wheel.

But ya, brakes will interfere probably...

Either way, I recommend them, they will take care of you. Mission is owned by kink/cult.

|

10/14/2017 10:59 AM

Rubio151 wrote:

I recently started riding after forever, im 35yrs. I need a new wheelset and my budget is 180$ ive been eyeing the Revenge ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I really like Mission ever since they proved to me they are 100% going to back me up if I have any problems with their wheel.
...more

I was looking at those mission wheels too but i already bought the Revenge set. I tried my LBS first and they tried to sell me the Revenge cassette wheel for 149$, for the single wheel. I was shocked since the set sells for 160$ everywhere. I supported them when i upgraded to a sealed headset, a sealed bb, and grips but i couldnt support them on this one. It kinda sucks too, dont get wrong, they support Road bike and mtb events (not really bmx) and they help the community. I remember buying my first real bike there when i was like 10, that sticker that said the bike shops name let all the kids in town know that you had a good bike. The internet maybe be killing these shops but it should also keep them honest.

|