Need help with my geometry homework

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2016 6:04 PM

Never been too knowledgeable on frame geometry. Only ever cared about top tube length and that's about it, figured I'd just get used to everything else.

But now my frame seems to be starting to crack in a few places so it got me thinking about my next frame, which logically, I'd just get mine warrantied and get the Soundwave v2. My question is, would that geo be especially suited for my riding? Or is there something better (IE: taller/shorter standover, shorter/longer rear end, etc) I'll include the Soundwave v2 specs below, along with my current specs.

Basically, my most frequently done tricks are grinds, spins out of grinds, manual grind lines, 180 smith full cabs, crankflips, tailwhips/footjam whips, wallrides... Stuff like that. I'm not really into airing quarters (I can, just don't do it a lot) or riding trails. More techy street I guess? So if you guys could point me into the right direction of what geo would suit me better or if the Soundwave's geo would be ideal, I'd appreciate it. My current specs feel okay, just sometimes it feels like I'm really just muscling certain tricks around.

Soundwave v2 Geo:

HT Angle: 75°
ST Angle: 71°
CS Length: 13.5" - 13.75"
BB Height: 11.5"
Standover: 9"

3rd Wave Geo (Current frame):

HT Angle: 74.5°
ST Angle: 71°
CS Length: 13.75″
BB Height: 11.75″
Standover: 8.461″

|

11/13/2016 6:35 PM

The Soundwave v2 is more up your alley then your current frame. no real massive differences but it will feel more responsive or snappy.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/13/2016 6:42 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

The Soundwave v2 is more up your alley then your current frame. no real massive differences but it will feel more responsive ...more

Awesome, thanks! I figured it wasn't too far off but wasn't sure if it was off in a bad or good way. I just wish it came in 20.5" but maybe I'll like the extra .25" on the top tube

|

11/14/2016 6:54 AM

Yeah the soundwave is pretty good street geo without being super trendy ultra tech geo. i liked the way mine felt but i hated the wave tubing.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/14/2016 7:25 AM

How tall are you and what sizes does it come in?

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/14/2016 7:52 AM

You might get half a link out of the chain. But the bb is lower, so it'll be more stable/less responsive when spinning

|

11/14/2016 12:48 PM

Sounds like with your style of riding, you're going to want to go with a shorter back end

|

11/14/2016 12:54 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Yeah the soundwave is pretty good street geo without being super trendy ultra tech geo. i liked the way mine felt but i hated ...more

Sweet thanks, but yeah I'm not a big fan of how the wave tubing looks either but I can deal haha

|

11/14/2016 12:57 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

How tall are you and what sizes does it come in?

On their site it lists 20.75" as the smallest which for my height actually seems okay cause I'm like 5'8" or 5'9"

I feel like it'll be fine though but there's always that chance I'll hate it

|

11/14/2016 12:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You might get half a link out of the chain. But the bb is lower, so it'll be more stable/less responsive when spinning

Shit does that mean spins will be harder? That's one of the reasons I was looking into geo more cause I feel like sometimes I'm just muscling them around like when I do feeble hard 180s but I guess that's more technique too

|

11/14/2016 1:01 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Sounds like with your style of riding, you're going to want to go with a shorter back end

Yeah that's what I gathered when I was looking it up the other night, the Soundwave looks to have a slightly shorter rear end at least

|

11/14/2016 1:24 PM

spins will definitely be easier on the soundwave. i don't know too much about bb height but the steeper ht angle and the shorter cs with make it spin faster for sure.

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/14/2016 3:28 PM

|

11/14/2016 3:56 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

spins will definitely be easier on the soundwave. i don't know too much about bb height but the steeper ht angle and the ...more

Hopefully, I read the through the link rolland bluntz posted above and the shorter CS might help my hops too which is a plus cause they've been slacking lately.

I'll most likely just get the Soundwave v2, but I'll explore other options too (And just warranty my 3rd Wave and keep the Soundwave as a backup or something) since I probably won't start getting this taken care of for another week or so since there's a jam on Saturday in DC I wanna be able to go to which by the way you should go to, it's not too far from you I don't think.

|

11/14/2016 4:00 PM

My friend rides a BSD frame with like a 12.5 chainstay, might be 12.7 I'm not sure. He does really technical riding, at a medium speed. I rode his bike and it feels super responsive! I ride around a 13.20 and I like it, might slam it so I could run 13.11

|

11/14/2016 4:14 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Hopefully, I read the through the link rolland bluntz posted above and the shorter CS might help my hops too which is a plus ...more

yeah man i missed the cranksgiving jam last year and i really wanted to go this year but i have an early family thanksgiving thing i can't miss. maybe next year haha.

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/15/2016 9:01 AM

I currently ride the soundwave v2. It does feel snappier and more responsive than the older sunday frames for sure. I really liked the feel of the taller seat tube height because it made things like pinching for barspins so much easier. For you, I would get it because you essentially get it for free through warranty. You most likely will love it because you are coming off a pretty stable geo and even the small differences will feel bigger. Watching your edit, it looks like you enjoy going big which this frame is perfect for. I am currently building up a new bsd alvx because my riding style is very techy and low speed which the soundwave needs to be muscled a little bit.

|

11/15/2016 11:36 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

I currently ride the soundwave v2. It does feel snappier and more responsive than the older sunday frames for sure. I really ...more

Sweet thanks for the input, I think I'm sold on the Soundwave now. I checked some other options the other night and the only other frame I feel like I'd like that has a geometry that'd suit me is the FBM Hardway but it only comes in brakeless… not that I ride brakes at the moment, but I'd like the option to do so in the future if I want to.

|