Need some advice on cranks/spindle/BB

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2015 2:40 PM

So it all started last summer when my crank came off while i was just cruising and I saw that the crank bolt had snapped off in the spindle. (posted for help here befoe). The same thing happened again to the opposite side so i ended up buying a a set of cranks and the spindle for them from a friend. I was riding today and my left crank wobbled so I looked down and saw spindle. Idk what to do other than readjusting and tightening the bolts and hoping it doesnt happen again

|

6/22/2015 3:59 PM

what kinda cranks?

|

6/22/2015 5:57 PM

Photo's or it didn't happen. Spacers maybe???? No idea, can't see it.

|

6/22/2015 6:15 PM

BaconSoda wrote:

what kinda cranks?

He told me there were eclat, but I cant verify that

|

6/22/2015 6:18 PM

Nwewinit wrote:

Photo's or it didn't happen. Spacers maybe???? No idea, can't see it.

haha true, I wish this wasnt happening.Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/22/2015 7:11 PM

They aren't eclat but the crank bolt is unscrewing itself Ive had the issue before I even lost the bolt ones while riding. A way to fix it is get some loctite and put on the bolt get blue as red can be a pain to remove if you need to. Also make sure the pinch bolt is tightend after you tighten the crank bolt.

|

6/22/2015 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2015 7:54 PM

If your problem is the spindle showing, just loosen the pinch bolts on the cranks and tighten the main bolts to let the crank arms move further in on the spindle, but make sure the bolts don't go in so far that they touch the spindle. You can see through the slit where the pinch bolt goes, they should have a few mms room in between the spindle and the bolt, then when the main bolts are tightened up make sure to tighten the pinch bolts up too. If they won't go on any further, you need more spacers/washers.

|

6/22/2015 8:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If your problem is the spindle showing, just loosen the pinch bolts on the cranks and tighten the main bolts to let the crank ...more

^this.

I'm just guessing, but it doesn't look like your chainwheel is all that thick. Usually alot of bottom brackets come with a big cone spacer and a small cone spacer (or a shitload of squeaky washer type spacers. Your spindle bolt is probably bottoming out before it snugs up your crankarms. Photo

|

6/24/2015 8:45 AM

CamelOnAcid wrote:

They aren't eclat but the crank bolt is unscrewing itself Ive had the issue before I even lost the bolt ones while riding. A ...more

Thanks, I'll definitely try this as soon as I can get my hands on some

|

6/24/2015 8:49 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If your problem is the spindle showing, just loosen the pinch bolts on the cranks and tighten the main bolts to let the crank ...more

uhh I'll try, but what do you mean by them not touching? Isn't it better for them to be tightened/turned as far as they go? I might just take to the bike shop to see what they say, last time they didn't warn me about needing any spacers when they put the cranks on

|

6/24/2015 8:51 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Nwewinit wrote:

^this.

I'm just guessing, but it doesn't look like your chainwheel is all that thick. Usually alot of bottom brackets come ...more

So you mean its screwed as far as they can go into the spindle, but not tight enough in the crank itself? (Am I understanding this correctly?) I'll see if I can pick up a pack of different sized bb spacers .

|

6/24/2015 11:54 AM

Just need spacers, get both sides even too.

If the "bike shop" forgot this crucial part then i wouldnt go back.

|

6/24/2015 12:12 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Just need spacers, get both sides even too.

If the "bike shop" forgot this crucial part then i wouldnt go back.

Word, theres only a few bike shops that I've been going to and half the time they don't want to be bothered...unless you're interested in buying a complete bike

|