Need some help

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2018 6:08 PM

I'm sure you've seen a bunch of people asking this question but I need some help figuring out what size bike I should be looking at buying.

My son got into racing at 2 years old on his strider and this season transitioned at 4 years old to a redline micro mini. He is doing great but needs more time on the bike to gain strength. So the purpose for my bike would be to ride around the neighborhood with him. But I would like to get something i could race with if i choose to.

I'm 30 years old at 5'3"-4" at 180lbs. From looking at some sizing charts I think i should be looking at a expert or a pro. But getting the feeling the expert which shows for my height is for youth. Also noticing there are 20" and 24". A lot has change since I was a kid riding around my mach one (which now I really want that bike back!) Or I was too young to pay attention to it all. There is a used redline pro 20" for sale close to me I am thinking about but I have noticed a lot of guys my age are riding 24" at the track.

|

7/9/2018 6:19 PM

What's your budget? I'd suggest a Mongoose Legion L100 as it's a great bike for $270... it's a 20" wheel and a 21" top tube which should feel comfortable for you considering your age and height, I mean damn, 30 years old is still pretty young man, my Dad is 40 he still rails on his dirt bike, he still passes all the young 20 year old kids on the track too... he's probably the fastest guy out there like no joke... I'd go with a 20" wheeled bike if I were you. I think the Mongoose Legion L100 would be a great bike for you!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/9/2018 6:45 PM

Thanks for the input, I will check that L100 out!

Na 30 isnt old, I just know I will feel old when I get back on the bike for awhile until I build those muscles back up again lol. I definitely want something that if I choose to race again I can start with it because going to the track with my little guy once or twice a week is giving me the itch again. I dipped into that scene a little bit with my GT in my teens.

Whats the reasons some guys are running 24s? Im assuming it as to do with size? Most of them are a good amount taller than me too.

|

7/9/2018 6:54 PM

Steve1007 wrote:

Na 30 isnt old, I just know I will feel old when I get back on the bike for ...more

Nah I'm not sure what the 24s are really for... they're more cruisers, I had a 24" not too long ago, it wasn't rrally alot of fun, it was just way bulky and big and wasn't as fun as my 20"... I'm 6'2" and I fit better on my 20" than my 24" (I recently sold my 24" becasue of that) people think the bigger the wheel the bigger the bike. And that couldn't be any further from the truth, it's all about the geometry on the bike, thw top tube length, heat tube angle, seat tube angle etc.

If I were you, I'd definatly go for a 20"... I think that Mongoose Legion L100 would be a great bike for you dude!

|

7/9/2018 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 7:09 PM

Its definitely in my price range since I was thinking about this one..https://nwct.craigslist.org/bik/d/redline-proline-pro/6629850083.html

But after seeing that bike on craigslist I got wondering whats size should I be looking at between pro, pro xl, and pro xxl??

So I am going to go to a couple of shops and see if there is any of them L100s locally to check out!

Thanks

|

7/9/2018 7:31 PM

Nah I wouldn't bother with that Redline, and before you waste your time going to shops, I don't thibk any shops would have one, that's something you'd have to order online, I'd order it from Amazon ad it's the cheapest to be found on there...

|

7/9/2018 7:42 PM

Steve1007 wrote:

Na 30 isnt old, I just know I will feel old when I get back on the bike for ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Nah I'm not sure what the 24s are really for... they're more cruisers, I had a 24" not too long ago, it wasn't rrally alot of ...more

Biggest reason for the 24', in my opinion, is that the 24"rolls & cruises better (larger diameter wheels) for typically larger riders who intend to just roll & ride, bunnyhop shit, not hop whip, crash down 15 stairs drops and what not...mostly typical riding.

|