Need some help with bike tools

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2013 10:34 AM

Hi all, new guy here. I'm needing some help here to set myself up with some bike specific tools. My son started racing BMX last year. He has a Redline Flight junior. I am wondering if this kits tools will work on my sons Redline. Specifically the crank tools.

http://www.shop.ca/c/evo-evo-tools-ev-p18-bicycle-tool-box-18-tools-22336505

I race MX myself and do ALL my own bike work so I know my way around mechanics well but am pretty clueless when it comes to bycycles so any help would be appreciated.. I will also be getting a Redline cruiser this year to give the whole BMX racing thing a wirl with my son.
Cheers

|

12/8/2013 10:56 AM

All you should need is

A thin adjustable wrench (pedals, wheel axles)
6mm allen wrench (stem bolts, possibly crank & fork bolts)
5mm allen wrench (brakes, seat clamp)
And possibly a 8mm allen key for the cranks and fork cap.

However, alot of bikes have different sized bolts and nuts. Your best bet is to get a metric allen wrench set that goes up to atleast 8mm and has half (2.5, 3.5, 4.5, etc.) sizes and an adjustable wrench that is slim enough to fit between the crank arm and pedal body. You should be able to completely disassemble his bike with that.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/8/2013 1:57 PM

You don't need bicycle specific tools for most things.

Maybe spoke wrenches, chain tools and stuff like that.

As mentioned, just standard metric allen wrenches should be most of what you need.

Have a look at your sons bike, you should be able to see if the tools you have now will work.

|

12/8/2013 2:34 PM

Yeah if you work on your dirt bike you should have everything you need already pretty much.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

12/8/2013 3:44 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I have plenty of tools and my own shop so any allens, etc I have covered. The only thing that seems like it needs a specialty tool other than thin wrenches is the crank. It could be done with a channel lock but it would be a little bit barbaric and would butcher it over time. I've completely tore down his "lil ripper" before, but the crank on that was just a standard, but thin bolt. .
So you guys figure this kit is a waste of money and just to pick up some thin wrenches?
I just figured if I could cover all my bases for $80, I'd be good, especially since I have thousands in tools for moto and car.

|

12/8/2013 4:12 PM

You could get this for 12 bucks but you could probably find a set of the thin wrenches at walmart for like five bucks so idk

|

My Old* Steed

Click here and follow me :D
Twitterrr

12/8/2013 6:48 PM

My personal list of tools for home is something like this:
good set of alan wrenches
ratchet with socket set
ratchet extension (operational only need if you have pegs on your bike which I'm assuming you don't)
a couple rags
good chain breaker
small flat head screwdrivers for random things
medium sized phillips and flathead screwdriver
pair of regular, cutting, and needle nose pliers
good floor pump that takes shcrader and presta valves
adjustable wrench
set of thin bearing wrenches(13,14,15,15,19,21mm)
14,15,16mm wrenches
zip ties
tire levers
2 extra tubes

If you get really into biking and find yourself doing a lot of repairs a bike repair stand makes a huge difference but you could make one to fit into your vice like my dad did with a welder and some extra pieces of square tubing.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

12/9/2013 7:01 AM

Good list, all which I have minus the thin wrenches. I just ordered a bike stand the other day after a summer of working on his bike on my knees.
I have a feeling I will be doing lots of wrenching for him in the future as he killed it this year racing winning lots of Nationals.
A couple of proud dad picks.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|