Need some help with this custom bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2016 4:00 PM

Im trying to buy a bmx for street/park riding but im new in this sport. I've been able to talk to some guy who might be interested in trading for paintball gear worth $700-$800 CAD, so what I need help with is understanding what his bike is worth and if its any good. I asked for the specs of the bike and he sent me;

"It's a 2013 we the people envy frame
Kink bars
Salt forks
Cult headset
Odi grips
Wtp seat
Cult cranks
Salt front rim and hub
Eclat trippin rear rim and proper hub
Kink sprocket
Kmc chain
We the people stem
Duo pedals"

Im new so I have no idea really how good any of these parts are and how much they're worth, so if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. He told me he'll send a pic of the bike once he puts it back together, once I get the picture i'll put it up.

|

4/19/2016 4:52 PM

Get some pics and also, how much are you paying? If its all used which I'm guessing it basically is, you shouldn't pay for then around 300-400$. If its over that, just get a nice stock bike. your new to Bmx too, theres no reason to start with all custom parts, unless you got money out of your ass lmao

|

4/19/2016 7:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2016 8:00 PM

bmxChuck wrote:

Get some pics and also, how much are you paying? If its all used which I'm guessing it basically is, you shouldn't pay for then around 300-400$. If its over that, just get a nice stock bike. your new to Bmx too, theres no reason to start with all custom parts, unless you got money out of your ass lmao

I would disagree with the "if you're knew there is no reason to start with custom". I think if you can find/get them, go for it. Who cares? Most of the "seasoned riders" who state that are jealous. I wish I could have had a killer setup to start, but there just wasn't any money for me to do so. Once I started working my setups got better and better.

Just because you are new doesn't mean you are required to run entry level crap. Especially if you get a killer deal. If anything BMX's mentality is backwards on this, it would be better to start with higher end stuff when you can.

That bike you listed OP is nothing too crazy, if you can sell the gear (I assume you are indifferent as to keeping or letting it go) and get the money (400-800) I would go that route and buy a solid new setup if you can, or look into other custom builds used. You might find more bang for your buck.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/19/2016 10:37 PM

Okay thanks both of you for your help :D

|

4/19/2016 11:49 PM

As Dave said. It's not a bad bike, but there might be better second hand customs out there for the same kind of money. Round here you'd struggle to sell that for £200 (about $360). But that's because there's loads of second hand parts here. I know nothing about the value of paint ball gear though.

|

4/20/2016 7:09 AM

I'd sell your paintball stuff and look at other second hand customs.

That bike would be fine to start on as long as you can find out the sizing but it's worth no where near as much as your paintball stuff.

Do some googling or ask on here about sizing.

|

4/20/2016 7:28 PM

Okay i've been looking around on kijiji for other bikes and I found a couple that seem interesting.
I asked the first guy for the specs and he sent me;
2011 colt bad boy
Has brand new odi grips on sunday bars
Brand new salt pegs
Fit sprocket thats on and colt sprocket spare
Fit clamp and colt. One one the side
Weight is under 20lbs
New front rim and new tubes
And here are some pictures of the bike, hes asking $500 (CAD)

The other guy sent me the specs and they are;
imo forks. McNeil xlt bars. & cult leader bars Salt stem along with oddessy old school stem Brand new Salt headset Volume pivotal seat. Black label sprocket 28th & sabrosa skull 25th Rear tire: odyssey hazard lite rim with odyssey cassette Front tire: stock rim withchosen female hub New BB, M3 (Mirraco) crank arms And a fiend embryo frame
Here are some pics of the bike, hes asking $450 (CAD)

Which bike from what you can tell is better and are either of them really worth the money these guys are asking for?

|

4/20/2016 10:11 PM

There's no way the first one weighs less than 20lbs.
Both are OK, both have some stock parts. I'd want to know exactly what the stock parts are. But I'm very picky.
Either would be better than an odd the shelf complete. And I'm not too sure how available second hand parts are where you are.
Either will get you started and are probably worth it. Just be prepared to spend a bit of money dialling them in as they could have issues

|

4/21/2016 9:06 AM

How tall are you?

You need to make sure you are getting a bike that will be big/small enough.

|

4/21/2016 10:12 AM

RonsettasFather wrote:

How tall are you?

You need to make sure you are getting a bike that will be big/small enough.

im 6 feet

|

4/21/2016 10:21 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's no way the first one weighs less than 20lbs.
Both are OK, both have some stock parts. I'd want to know exactly what the stock parts are. But I'm very picky.
Either would be better than an odd the shelf complete. And I'm not too sure how available second hand parts are where you are.
Either will get you started and are probably worth it. Just be prepared to spend a bit of money dialling them in as they could have issues

from what you can tell which out of the 2 bikes would you say is better? and which one should I focus on trying to buy?

|

4/21/2016 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 9:20 PM

Sorry guys for all these questions im asking and thank you for answering them all. I found one more bike listed that im thinking of trying to buy. Its a sunday aaron ross 2012 ex and the guys asking for $375 (CAD), heres a pic

Good or bad bike and for $375 (CAD) worth it or not?

|

4/22/2016 11:09 AM

That's not the actual bike, get him to send you a some real pictures because that's ripped off google images, his bike won't be in the same condition as the pictured one.

Are you still growing?

If so you probably want a 21" top tube frame at the least, just something to think about.

|

4/23/2016 6:37 AM

I can say as far as the length goes..... I'm 6'3" and I have a 20.6" kink solace that is way too small for me and a 21" fly proton complete which is turning out to be junk I'm but it also is borderline too small for me.

|