Need suggestions on parts for my build

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2018 5:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 5:36 AM

I currently have a Soundwave V1 (with BB and Headset), LHD Thunderbolts, Odyssey stem and bars on the way to me. I have a Tree Straight pull front hub laced to Eclat X-dus wheel, Fit barstool seat, Animal seat post, Rat Trap pedals, Odyssey R25 forks, Evo 2 brakes and slic cable, KMC K710 chain.

I was looking for some suggestions on grips and brake levers. I was thinking TSC Sano lever and Cult X Vans grips. Also what is the difference between the BSD Donnastreet and Donnasquek tires? I was planning on ordering a Federal BBS sprocket and a Verde Regent rear wheel. Has anyone tried this wheel? I am sure it isn't the greatest but I figured it would last me a bit as a beginner and I have blown up my budget on this build by a bit so this being a budget option is good.

|

8/3/2018 5:41 AM

Animal Edwin or T1 Grips.

Try looking at Rant wheels.

|

8/3/2018 5:49 AM

The difference between the two tires are the tread patterns. The original Donnasqueak tire has a more aggressive tread pattern that is supposed to be "ideal for street, ramps, even a little dirt". The Donnastreet has a smoother pattern with a similar look, but is more for just street riding. Keep in mind that the Evo2 brakes are generally designed for smaller tires. The Evo2.5's are made for larger 2.4/2.5 tires. The reason I mention it is that I believe both tire choices yuou listed are 2.4" tires. Although I thought i saw somewhere that they were available in 2.1". As for the wheel, it's a wheel. It's new. It'll be fine. It isn't going to "wow" anyone at a park or whatever, but who cares?! Ride it.

For Grips, you really can't go wrong with ODI Longnecks. Brake levers are subjective. I like the Odyssey M2 Monolever or the Diacomp Dirty Harry.

|

8/3/2018 5:53 AM

The Animal Jeff Kocsis grips are the best I would say.
I'm currently riding my second pair of the Animal Nigel Silvester, and they are great too.

dead goon mentioned the Animal Edwin grips, which feel good too but are way to short.

|

IG: @_almost_crook

8/3/2018 5:56 AM

dead goon wrote:

Animal Edwin or T1 Grips.

Try looking at Rant wheels.

Animal Edwin grips are the best I’ve ever ridden. I have the flanged ones. Highly recommend them. Photo

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

8/3/2018 6:10 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The difference between the two tires are the tread patterns. The original Donnasqueak tire has a more aggressive tread pattern ...more

Crap I didn't realize that the Evo 2s wouldn't fit 2.4 wide tires. Do 2.25s fit? The Donnasquek comes in that size.

|

8/3/2018 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 6:17 AM

booze wrote:

The Animal Jeff Kocsis grips are the best I would say.
I'm currently riding my second pair of the Animal Nigel Silvester, and ...more

They are short compared to most on the market today, correct. As are the T1 grips. Great if you like that mid-school feel. cool

|

8/3/2018 6:19 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The difference between the two tires are the tread patterns. The original Donnasqueak tire has a more aggressive tread pattern ...more

93EXCivic wrote:

Crap I didn't realize that the Evo 2s wouldn't fit 2.4 wide tires. Do 2.25s fit? The Donnasquek comes in that size.

I would bet that they do. I ride 2.3 and they are really small compared to the stock 2.4 that I replaced. I like the smaller tires though.

|

8/3/2018 6:36 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

I thought the Evo 2.5s fit 2.4 tires. Like thats the whole point up them updating the geometry and releasing the 2.5s. I might be mistaken. As far as grips are concerned I second the animal edwin and t1 grips. The S&M Hoder grips are awesome too but imo t1 and edwins are where its at. Only bad thing Id say are that edwins are terrible until they are broken in, but once broken in they are perfect.

|

8/3/2018 6:37 AM

Odi longneck xl's! You can easily cut them to whatever size you want and the rubber is soft but stiffer than most grips I have tried. They come with flanges too if youre into that.

If you ride brakeless you can wrap the grips all the way over to the bends of your bars. Actually really comfortable. I can only do it on one side unless I want to cut an individual chunk off and slide it on before I mount my brake lever. Lol

|

8/3/2018 7:07 AM

LikeRats wrote:

I thought the Evo 2.5s fit 2.4 tires. Like thats the whole point up them updating the geometry and releasing the 2.5s. I might ...more

I have Evo 2s though not the 2.5s.

I will probably end up going with the T1 grips just cause Empire has them (and the other parts I was looking at getting) but not the Animal Edwins

|

8/3/2018 7:42 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

I'm running 2.1's with the Evo2's. I don't know for sure that the tires would fit but I THINK they would based on the clearance I still have with the 2.1's.

|

8/3/2018 8:15 AM

sensus swayze grips , MTB company, awesome grips super grippy and nice. i ride them, ryan nyquist rides them a lot of people do. shipping is like $2 from them as well https://www.thesensus.com/shopgrips/swayzeslips Photo
|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/3/2018 10:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 10:02 AM

I would get the Donnasqueaks, probably the best tires I ever rode.. i rode them for a year and the tread was still barely worn down! I just switched it up for some fatter tires which I have been liking alot lately...

Also for a rear wheel, the Verde wheel should be good

And for grips, the S&M Hoders... you'll thank me later..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/3/2018 12:02 PM

I also heavily back ODI grips and Odyssey braking hardware. Can't seem to go wrong!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/3/2018 12:37 PM

Odi longnecks or Edwin's. You can stretch grips to make em longer wink
Although, the s&m hoder grips look nice, but a little soft so they might wear out quicker.
If you've got seat stay mounts, there's a few brakes that have angled arms specifically for seat stays which apparently pull better, although I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference

|

8/3/2018 8:10 PM

For a rear brake lever the odyssey m2 should already be on your mind (unless you don’t run a gyro like SOME “people”...)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/3/2018 8:22 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

For a rear brake lever the odyssey m2 should already be on your mind (unless you don’t run a gyro like SOME “people”...)

#straightcablegang

cool

|

8/3/2018 11:01 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

#straightcablegang

cool

Really? You don’t like gyros?
Extra straight cable braking power is a myth bro, accept the detangler into your life and do barspins for days.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/3/2018 11:26 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Extra straight cable braking power is a myth bro, accept the detangler into your life and do ...more

GYROS ARE FOR POSERS

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

8/3/2018 11:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 11:56 PM

I'm probably one of the only people that isn't a fan of longnecks. The ridges move about under my hands too much. I'm loving the S&M Hoder grips. Similar to the longnecks but a bit thicker and sturdier. Made by odi anyway if I recall correctly.

|

8/4/2018 7:04 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Extra straight cable braking power is a myth bro, accept the detangler into your life and do ...more

Nah, I like gyros, I want to get one, just the simplicity of the straight cable is cool lol

What gyro would you recommend though? I'm assuming the high end Odyssey one?

|

8/4/2018 11:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

#straightcablegang

cool

HavokDJ wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Nah, I like gyros, I want to get one, just the simplicity of the straight cable is cool lol

What gyro would you recommend ...more

I think any gyro that has the stiffness to brake well is good.
Snafu mobeus, Odyssey gtx, the kink one, Stolen makes a good one too, shadow sano, vocal, 34r orto. Anything that is stiff enough will work the same since a gyro is just a bearing with connections for the cables.

|

Hmmm

8/4/2018 12:19 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I think any gyro that has the stiffness to brake well is good.
Snafu mobeus, Odyssey gtx, the kink one, Stolen makes a good ...more

Oh yeah I totally agree that gyros can brake just as good as straight cables.. I just like the simplicity of my Quik Slic cable lol

|