Need wheel help

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2017 10:06 PM

I have been looking into getting a new custom wheel soon. I need to figure out the correct spoke size needed (most likely going to build it myself). I would be lacing the Saltplus trapez freecoaster/cassette hub to a Shadow Conspiracy truss rim. Any help is appreciated. And what is the best lacing pattern?

|

3/30/2017 10:15 PM

3 cross
Over over under
And a safe length for spokes is 184.

|

3/31/2017 7:21 AM

thairishguy wrote:

3 cross
Over over under
And a safe length for spokes is 184.

Thanks. And if I order just the rim and hub would my local bmx shop be able to tell what size spokes I need?

|

3/31/2017 8:04 AM

Start with the in bound spokes on the drive side, first spoke goes to the hole behind the valve hole. Then do the non drive side in bound, using the hole directly behind the drive side spokes. Twist the hub backwards, then do the out bound spokes. Leave a few threads on each spoke. Once it's laced tighten every spoke just until you can't see the thread. Then start at the valve hole and tighten every spoke one turn. Repeat until there's a bit of tension, then tighten half a turn. Use your judgement on which need tightening less than others by checking the lateral true of the wheel. Take your time and you won't have to worry about vertical true. And check the dish throughout the whole process, but don't worry too much about it until there's a bit of tension

|

3/31/2017 8:07 AM

You'll need to find the ERD(Effective Rim Diameter) from either Shadow or wherever you buy the rim from. You can find it yourself though if you have the rim, 2 spokes of known length and a calipers. Either a bike shop should be able to figure out correct spoke lengths or you can find the ERD and put all of the information into THIS.

The hub dimensions are as follows:
Drive flange diameter:   58mm
Non-drive flange diameter: 45mm
Drive flange to center:   29mm
Non-drive flange to center: 29mm
Flange hole diameter:   2.5mm

It should be built 3 cross, the hub is 36 hole. Don't bother with 4 cross on 36h wheels, it puts a lot of stress on the spoke heads.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/31/2017 9:46 AM

If you wanna know what 36 hole 4 cross looks like, I built one for pure fuckery in the past and unlaced it soon after. Spoke angles are too sketchy.

Photo

|

3/31/2017 11:07 AM

I'm running 4x on my rear 36h merrit freecoaster and love it. Spokes flex just enough on whoppers and flatland tricks so as not to snap (unlike my last build). But am running 3x 36h up front

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

3/31/2017 12:43 PM

The amount of crosses depends more on flange size than number of spokes, the higher the flanges, the more clearance the spokes have close to the flange. 4x is no stronger though really. Otherwise it would be an industry standard for all bikes (it's not as strong because of the stress it puts through the spokes close to the flange)

|