Needle bearings

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2018 8:26 AM

Ok, so I've been having problems with my Clutch V2, let me just say, my Clutch V2 sounds like a cassette... and idk what wrong with it, but that's not the point of this thread..

Basically with the problems I've had with my coaster is kinda annoying, and I kinda want to go back to cassette, and the cassette I'm looking at is the Antigram, and it has a needle bearing, I know my Clutch has a needle bearing as well, but alot of coasters do, so I was wondering, why is Odyssey using a needle bearing in their Antigram? What the advantages? I've always ridden sealed bearing drivers on my previous cassettes, so what's the deal with the needle bearings?

My guess is the don't blow up like sealed beaings, but I'm not sure...

So if you could fill me in on these needle bearings that'd be awesome!!

Thanks guys!!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/2/2018 8:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok, so I've been having problems with my Clutch V2, let me just say, my Clutch V2 sounds like a cassette... and idk what wrong ...more

They're not as easy to blow up and they can take a hell of a lot more abuse, in terms of load, operating conditions and dirt.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/2/2018 8:50 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

They're not as easy to blow up and they can take a hell of a lot more abuse, in terms of load, operating conditions and dirt. ...more

This. They can take a hell of a lot more side load.

|

6/2/2018 9:04 AM

What they said. The sealed bearings in the shell are generally big enough to take abuse (especially with a 14mm axle. But the bigger the axle, the smaller the bearings). But sealed bearings in a driver have to be pretty small. Hence a lot of drivers take 4 sealed bearing carts. A roller bearing makes more sense and is just as strong or stronger (bearing in mind a lot of drivers have less than 4 sealed carts so they're more likely to blow)

|

6/2/2018 9:24 AM

Ah, and that's exactly what I thought guys! Thanks for confirming that!!

|

6/2/2018 10:45 AM

The needle bearing is only in the driver of the antigram. The rest are standard sealed ball bearing cartridges.

Also im on my 2nd driver. The first one developed a crazy wobble. Love the hub and easy of maintanence though.

|

6/2/2018 10:53 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

The needle bearing is only in the driver of the antigram. The rest are standard sealed ball bearing cartridges.

Also im on my ...more

That's doesn't sound good... is the second driver doing okay? Maybe the first one was a defect?

|

6/2/2018 11:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 11:36 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Also im on my ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That's doesn't sound good... is the second driver doing okay? Maybe the first one was a defect?

Second one is already developing some play but nothing too bad yet.

I would still 100 percent recommend the wheel though. Its a favorite of mine.

|

6/2/2018 12:00 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Also im on my ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Second one is already developing some play but nothing too bad yet.

I would still 100 percent recommend the wheel though. Its ...more

Cool! Of I wasn't getting such a good deal on the hub I'd probably get a Shadow BTR or a Madera...

But the deal I'm getting on it is absolutly insane, so I'm just going to stick with it...

But I'm assuming Odyssey replaced the driver for free yeah? Becasue if I'm going to have to buy new drivers out of pocket that would suck and make the deal not worth it lol

|

6/2/2018 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 12:10 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok, so I've been having problems with my Clutch V2, let me just say, my Clutch V2 sounds like a cassette... and idk what wrong ...more

If you want to go back to cassette this is the only one that you should even consider. Everything can be replaced, you can swap drive sides in 5min and it is bombproof, literally I road one for 4 years. When I sold my bike the wheels were on it (I just wanted new stuff). And the guy who brought it is still riding in...3yrs later.

https://www.acebmx.com/rear-bmx-hubs-c-396_398/gsport-ratchet-hub-9t-ice-green-p-1723.html

If you get one you will not regret it. This one is the ice green but I called them about a month ago and they said they have some black ones and a few polished.

After that, Profile mini or elite

|

6/2/2018 12:24 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

If you want to go back to cassette this is the only one that you should even consider. Everything can be replaced, you can ...more

That is essentially the same hub as the antigram

|

Hmmm

6/2/2018 12:31 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

If you want to go back to cassette this is the only one that you should even consider. Everything can be replaced, you can ...more

Thanks dude! I really want that Gsport Ratchet, but the deal works with the Antigram only :/

But that sounds good dude! Thanks again!!

|

6/2/2018 1:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Thanks dude! I really want that Gsport Ratchet, but the deal works with the Antigram only :/

But that sounds good dude! ...more

Antigram is a slightly smaller version of the ratchet. Odyssey will back it up too if anything goes wrong prematurely.

|

6/2/2018 1:49 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But that sounds good dude! ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Antigram is a slightly smaller version of the ratchet. Odyssey will back it up too if anything goes wrong prematurely.

Yep, but the bigger bearings are a life saver for some. I know they kept me from blowing my hub apart one day.

Yes, ACE is not always popular but they are very good. I was going to order a Proper frame and they had the best price. Called them and they were out of all sizes but 20.5...too short. So they took the phone and went to the 20.75 section and compared specs with me on the phone. Here is where you will see why I love them. He had a Standard (list price on the site was $379 at the time) he said seeing it was their fault for not keeping the inventory even with the sale...if I wanted it he would give it to me for $15.00 over the Proper sale price ($215). And next day it free. I was also going to order cranks from Dans (Profiles). He matched Dans price and tossed in a sprocket of my choice...which was a 25T Tree for free. Also shipped out next day with the frame. So, the price I had added up for everything I had planned to buy was $750 and some change. I ended up getting 95% from ACE price matched to the cheapest online shop I could find (not that they could). And had it all in 48hrs for a grand total of...$517.89.

So, I highly recommend always looking at ACE, and also ALWAYS call them. Joe is who I talked to so I am assuming he is who you want to ask for.

|

6/2/2018 1:57 PM

People are having problems with their coaster and I literally haven’t even opened it since I got it .... LOL fuck , I should probably go get it maintained

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/2/2018 7:57 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

People are having problems with their coaster and I literally haven’t even opened it since I got it .... LOL fuck , I should ...more

Maybe not maintaining it is key, I took care of my coaster like I would a baby, and it still fuckin shits the bed lol

If I can't fix it, I'm going to a cassette...

|

6/2/2018 9:55 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

People are having problems with their coaster and I literally haven’t even opened it since I got it .... LOL fuck , I should ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Maybe not maintaining it is key, I took care of my coaster like I would a baby, and it still fuckin shits the bed lol

If I ...more

You do need to work on them but it depends on how hard you ride how often. Some people might never really need to do anything. Some only regrease and others have to rebuild it a few times in a year or it just self destucts no matter what you do.

And really a cassette is better. Yes you can fakie with no back pedaling but the pedal pressure will help you get out of it. And a coaster really only has it fast in the fastest engagement setting or if you buy the very nice but very expensive Profile Z coaster. Personally, I think a cassette makes you a better rider.

|

6/2/2018 10:15 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

You do need to work on them but it depends on how hard you ride how often. Some people might never really need to do anything. ...more

Ya man, I love cassettes and rode them ever since I started riding, only maybe 2-3 months ago I switched to the coaster, I honestly feel though, the coaster has made me a better rider, I was ok doing fakies on a cassette, then when I switched to coaster, yeah I had to relearn balance and the rollout and that crap, but I rode the hell out of my coaster for the 2-3 months I've owned it, pretty much every trick I do involves riding fakie, and the freecoaster was awesome for that...

But now, I can hop on a bike with a cassette on it and fakie just as long as I could on a cassette...

But it sucks because I hate the look of using pedal pressure to roll out of a fakie on a cassette, and my rollouts are soooooo clean on the coaster, it just a quick fluid motion of a rollout... but yeah, I mostly ride by myself now anyways, so who gives a shit if my rollouts don't look as clean, I mean, don't get me wrong, I can still do them clean on a cassette, they just FEEL cleaner on a coaster... but I'm sure once I'm on a cassette 100% of the time and getting used to that it'll feel normal again...

|

6/3/2018 1:04 AM

The antigram uses the exact same internals as the ratchet. To be honest, with g sport releasing the rollaway front hub, I'm surprised they didn't brand the antigram as g sport. The ratchet, and spares (especially drivers) are getting hard to find. I'd happily ride a pair of g sport hubs :/

|