Never ride again

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2012 5:37 AM

What would you do if you got told you'll never be able to ride again?

I find myself in my wildest nightmare,
At the end of 2010 i landed with my back on the edge on a ramp doing a flair when i felt i was to tired to make it,

at the end of 2011 my back started to hurt, it felt like i've been stabbed..
I went to the hospital, they couldn't find a reason to the pain so they sent me to a chiropractor, who sent me to physiotherapist
after going there for a while, and the pain wouldn't disapper, (by the time i was getting morphine and strong pain killers)
they all got together and investigated my "injury History" ..

Last week i got told that the crash in 2010 might be the reason to the pain, just becouse i didn't go to the er, and that there is nothing to do about it and i might never be able to ride again, if i do the pain will just get worse..

kids if you land on ur back let someone take a look at it,
so you don't end up where i am today..

It sucks so bad, been riding for 5 years, (love it it's a part of my life)

btw sorry if my english isn't correct but im a swede so i speak swedish wink

|

2/22/2012 5:54 AM

Im really sorry to hear that man. I completely agree with you, we have guys that will refuse to go to the hospital no matter how bad it is and some of them have lost fingers or even a whole hand. Getting hurt is not a joke and stupid people can make it a lot worse.

I hope they can figure something out for you man i wouldn't want anyone to stop riding.

|

2/22/2012 6:06 AM

Bmxican406 wrote:

Im really sorry to hear that man. I completely agree with you, we have guys that will refuse to go to the hospital no matter how bad it is and some of them have lost fingers or even a whole hand. Getting hurt is not a joke and stupid people can make it a lot worse.

I hope they can figure something out for you man i wouldn't want anyone to stop riding.

yeah, if you get hurt you should check it out even if it doesn't appear to be serious, anyone can get complications later in life from someting that deosn't seem serious. Really foolish to ignore it ..
I got hurt and the pain went over so I ignored it and where am I now?
My worst position in life ever!

|

2/22/2012 6:41 AM

I was in a somewhat similar situation. in 2007 I was practicing for a worcs race out at race town in adelanto anyways I hit a little 60 ft table top and there was a bunch of ruts in the landing I landed cross rutted . I don't really remember the fall I rember trying to stand up and then I realized I was hurt . I broke both wrists my right collar bone and grenaded my foot the doctor told me I would be lucky to walk again to forget about riding. I spent about 3 months in the hospital another 6 months in a wheelchair and I was in and out of physical therapy until april of 2011 . Anyways I'm back riding I'm not, nearly at, the same level I was when I got hurt but still I'm riding . And since I've picked up bmx.

|

2/22/2012 7:01 AM

I'm in a similar situation. Blew up my ankle years ago, figured it was just a sprain. Apparently I fractured it and never got it looked it. I took a week or two off, continued riding and fractured it again, but never got it looked at, being that I was still able to walk on it, just painfully. Now theres a ton of arthritis and some bone spurs and the fractures never healed properly. So, now I hobble around like a pirate with a peg-leg. No surgeons want to touch it as its only a split down the middle, surgery might help, it might make it worse.... Some days I can still peddle around, but I'll never really be able to RIDE ever again. I feel the pain man, best of luck to you

|

2/22/2012 7:39 AM

Try acupuncture I have a few friends who swear by it

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

2/22/2012 7:56 AM

OP, try stretching, what he said ^^, & maybe cracking your back

back in 07 I had terrible back pain to the point where I could literally not even ride and a nerve shot down my one leg and felt so fucking painful in my lower back

I got out of gym class and my teacher had me do these stretches and mid stretch my back cracked right where the pain was and it felt so goddamn good so I kept cracking my back there and eventually the pain went away. Hopefully that could do something for you cause idk what I'd do without riding, sorry to hear that sad

But agreed with you on the hospital thing, thank god my mother talked me into going a few months ago, I thought I just jammed my finger after going over the bars out of a rail and didn't want to go, well next morning I went and the doctor looked at my xray like O.o haha, broke it so weird that if I didn't fix it, I'd never have the use of it again. Still don't have complete range of motion

|

2/22/2012 8:10 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

back in 07 I had terrible back pain to the point where I could literally not even ride and a nerve shot down my one leg and felt so fucking painful in my lower back

I got out of gym class and my teacher had me do these stretches and mid stretch my back cracked right where the pain was and it felt so goddamn good so I kept cracking my back there and eventually the pain went away. Hopefully that could do something for you cause idk what I'd do without riding, sorry to hear that sad

But agreed with you on the hospital thing, thank god my mother talked me into going a few months ago, I thought I just jammed my finger after going over the bars out of a rail and didn't want to go, well next morning I went and the doctor looked at my xray like O.o haha, broke it so weird that if I didn't fix it, I'd never have the use of it again. Still don't have complete range of motion

that is called sciatica and it is were a part of your spin is putting pressure on your sciatic nerve (leg nerve) so you get main which can range from discomfort to complete agony where you cant move for a month it normally fixes it's self. old people usually get it randomly.

|

parkrat.

2/22/2012 8:31 AM

yeah try acupuncture

|

Refs: netty speghetti, aw1234512[x2], Dudeisdrumer109, daniel21, paVimo, ticaleb, Showtime402[x2], brendan.magner.9
VIDEO OF OUR DIRT SKATEPARK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l6T-1xEwo

2/22/2012 8:35 AM

Rstar wrote:

that is called sciatica and it is were a part of your spin is putting pressure on your sciatic nerve (leg nerve) so you get main which can range from discomfort to complete agony where you cant move for a month it normally fixes it's self. old people usually get it randomly.

I have never known that until just now, I always thought it was from riding cause it happened right around when I started getting higher hops so I just assumed it was primarily from that. It does make sense though cause after about a month is when I started regularly cracking/stretching it so it probably went away then & I assumed that was why haha, learn something new everyday

|

2/22/2012 9:58 AM

ScottP wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. Blew up my ankle years ago, figured it was just a sprain. Apparently I fractured it and never got it looked it. I took a week or two off, continued riding and fractured it again, but never got it looked at, being that I was still able to walk on it, just painfully. Now theres a ton of arthritis and some bone spurs and the fractures never healed properly. So, now I hobble around like a pirate with a peg-leg. No surgeons want to touch it as its only a split down the middle, surgery might help, it might make it worse.... Some days I can still peddle around, but I'll never really be able to RIDE ever again. I feel the pain man, best of luck to you

oh shit that really sucks.. worse than my back, hope it gets better in the future mate

|

2/22/2012 10:00 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

Try acupuncture I have a few friends who swear by it

i've tried it, took away the pain for an hour or so:/ i have tried most of the things you can do

|

2/22/2012 10:11 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

im going to a physiotherapist everyday n stretching my back, after a month of just sitting at home and going to the physio therapist my back got better, so i got back to school n started going out with friends partying and my back just got worse again.. but i've been told i might never ride again..

you meen thank god for momswink shes the one who made me go to a doctor
still that sux, i shore hope it gets better with time

|

2/22/2012 10:16 AM

louie101202 wrote:

yeah try acupuncture

been there done that, I've tried it and most other things for back injurys, health care is free in Sweden so it's really just to try everything until something helps hehe .. but I've tried almost everything except surgery, and nothing have given me god results

|

2/22/2012 10:41 AM

AlexanderBergstrom wrote:

im going to a physiotherapist everyday n stretching my back, after a month of just sitting at home and going to the physio therapist my back got better, so i got back to school n started going out with friends partying and my back just got worse again.. but i've been told i might never ride again..

you meen thank god for momswink shes the one who made me go to a doctor
still that sux, i shore hope it gets better with time

haha damn straight, the old saying "mother knows best!" couldn't be truer.

hope you can somehow get back to riding though, I couldn't imagine life without it!

|

2/22/2012 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2012 10:48 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I have never known that until just now, I always thought it was from riding cause it happened right around when I started getting higher hops so I just assumed it was primarily from that. It does make sense though cause after about a month is when I started regularly cracking/stretching it so it probably went away then & I assumed that was why haha, learn something new everyday

it was probably triggered by your accident, unless your like 45+

edit: i know all sorts of useless crap :L but it comes in handy sometimes

|

parkrat.

2/22/2012 10:45 AM

Rstar wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Rstar wrote:

it was probably triggered by your accident, unless your like 45+

edit: i know all sorts of useless crap :L but it comes in handy sometimes

I didn't have an accident though, I was bmx injury free up until that point, it was probably from hopping high cause it happened right around the time I got bar height hops so idk, I was 14 at the time so definitely not cause of old age haha

|

2/22/2012 10:51 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I didn't have an accident though, I was bmx injury free up until that point, it was probably from hopping high cause it happened right around the time I got bar height hops so idk, I was 14 at the time so definitely not cause of old age haha

ow haha im 14 in a few days hope that doesn't happen unsure

|

parkrat.

2/22/2012 10:54 AM

Rstar wrote:

ow haha im 14 in a few days hope that doesn't happen unsure

haha you should be fine, I know plenty of people who never had this problem, I think I just got unlucky or something

|

2/22/2012 9:24 PM

I had something like that happen to me. I hurt my back so bad that I could not put my clothes on without help. I tried everything but eventually had to get surgery.

After surgery I was still in a lot of pain and eventually found Bikram yoga. I went every other day for six weeks. it saved my life and fixed my pain issues. I would highly recommend it to anyone that has back pain, shoulder pain or other internal pain.

|

2/22/2012 9:42 PM

Wow is all I can say... And your English is fine

|

2/22/2012 10:07 PM

dislocated 2 vertebre in my spine when i was 16.......lots of chiropractic therapy to fix that one didnt ride for almost a year....shit fucken hurt

|

2/23/2012 12:09 AM

... i dont go to the doc... i also no longer have health insurance so i cant go regardless now... and because ima fucker like that i have fucked up hands my left knee is shot as well as my shoulder and back

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

2/23/2012 12:12 AM

Photo
|

2/23/2012 12:21 AM

pnj wrote:

I had something like that happen to me. I hurt my back so bad that I could not put my clothes on without help. I tried everything but eventually had to get surgery.

After surgery I was still in a lot of pain and eventually found Bikram yoga. I went every other day for six weeks. it saved my life and fixed my pain issues. I would highly recommend it to anyone that has back pain, shoulder pain or other internal pain.

i might give bikram yoga a try thanwink

|

2/23/2012 12:25 AM

eskimojay wrote:

dislocated 2 vertebre in my spine when i was 16.......lots of chiropractic therapy to fix that one didnt ride for almost a year....shit fucken hurt

that sucks man, I hope the doctors are wrong so I can ride again,if so i hope it doesn't take a year, it sucks to have been of the bike for almost 2 months

|

2/23/2012 12:26 AM

haha yeah maby, but i can't do that.. my back gets worse from sitting down -.-

|

4/27/2012 2:25 AM

F**K YEAH! many weeks of brutally warm stones, needles, cracking n workouts have made my back better! might be back on my bike already next week! so stoked!

thank god for sweden and it's free health care n shit

|

4/27/2012 3:00 AM

AlexanderBergstrom wrote:

F**K YEAH! many weeks of brutally warm stones, needles, cracking n workouts have made my back better! might be back on my bike already next week! so stoked!

thank god for sweden and it's free health care n shit

So stoked to hear that dude! I hope your riding soon !

|

4/27/2012 3:09 AM

morphine's always fun

|