New BB with my old spindle

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2018 11:32 AM

so i recently broke my bottom bracket i got a new one right size and everything it fits but my spindle wont go through the BB the threads on my spindle seem to be just to big to fit and im not sure what to do. im trying to avoid buying a whole new spindle/ crank set

This is the spindle i have now: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/redline-spindle-for-rl1-series-cranks-8t-x-19mm?utm_source=TPA%20On%20Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Top%20Placement%20Ads%C2%AE%20(SPLA)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=People%20Searching%20For%20Bike%20Parts&utm_content=Google%20Shopping&product_id=46522&device=c&loc_physical_ms=9012295&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYx1AY-2zki7HiW0NG7TGfISd6zz2COT5PMGCUmgjveo_srWkHnpFUIaAgEQEALw_wcB

|

4/2/2018 11:44 AM

What size is the BB? If it's American, you can just get the Odyssey American BB(just Mid bearing in cups) and a spindle to match the sealed bearings, like this:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/stolen-spindle-chromoly-19-x-8-spline

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/2/2018 11:47 AM

its a 19mm BB

|

4/2/2018 11:49 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

What size is the BB? If it's American, you can just get the Odyssey American BB(just Mid bearing in cups) and a spindle to ...more

the link you posted looks like i have to buy a whole new spindle is that my only option?

|

4/2/2018 11:52 AM

Klouk wrote:

its a 19mm BB

No, what size bb shell is it? Euro, Spanish, mid, American?
What you need is an internal diameter of 19mm and an external diameter that will fit your frame.
If you have no luck finding out maybe try calling red line and asking them.

|

Hmmm

4/2/2018 11:54 AM

its a mid sorry im kind of new to replacing these kinds of parts on a bike

|

4/2/2018 11:58 AM

Klouk wrote:

The best thing to do in that case is to get a sealed cartridge Mid BB and the spindle I linked above.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/2/2018 12:03 PM

Klouk wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

The best thing to do in that case is to get a sealed cartridge Mid BB and the spindle I linked above.

okay heres my BB i bought i should of done more research before doing so i looked up my bike (RL1.1 redline) and it said i had a mid BB 19mm so i bought this because 1 day shipping and i want to ride tomorrow lol or even today should i just get the new spindle and a new bb or would this work?

BB i bought- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N30LF7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

|

4/2/2018 12:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 12:11 PM

Klouk wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Klouk wrote:

okay heres my BB i bought i should of done more research before doing so i looked up my bike (RL1.1 redline) and it said i had ...more

That BB is good, just get the spindle I linked above and everything should fit together. The spindle you currently have is for an unsealed looseball BB whereas your new BB is a sealed cartridge type.

Edit: Before you install the new BB, make sure that there's a lip inside the BB shell for the bearing to press up against. Otherwise, the bearings will be able to "walk" their way out of the shell over time.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/2/2018 12:11 PM

okay thank you very much for the help ill order it right away so i can continue riding, also whats the point of loseball BB my literally crumbled when i took it out to investigate a squeaking noise coming from there lol

|

4/2/2018 12:16 PM

Klouk wrote:

okay thank you very much for the help ill order it right away so i can continue riding, also whats the point of loseball BB my ...more

No worries, if you've any more problems, let us know!

As for the purpose of looseball; honestly, it's cheap and it usually does the job long enough for someone to decide if they want to stick with BMX and invest in better parts.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/2/2018 2:52 PM

update boys got my new spindle and my bike is up and running a bike shop close to me had 1 left in stock i told him to hold it he did and i bought it thank you guys for the help

|

4/2/2018 4:35 PM

Klouk wrote:

update boys got my new spindle and my bike is up and running a bike shop close to me had 1 left in stock i told him to hold it ...more

Sick! We're happy to help; there's a huge knowledge base on here if you ever run into any other problems. smile

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2018 9:49 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

What size is the BB? If it's American, you can just get the Odyssey American BB(just Mid bearing in cups) and a spindle to ...more

I had mid BB in an american cup and they are actually bigger bearings than what mid uses. It's off by just a few mm, however this was on my midschool dyno detour 2001 so I don't know.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 9:56 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

I had mid BB in an american cup and they are actually bigger bearings than what mid uses. It's off by just a few mm, however ...more

I know for sure that the Odyssey ones are Mid in a cup. A few of my friends have bought the American and knocked the bearings out to use in a Mid because it's sometimes cheaper than the Mid by itself.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2018 10:00 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

I had mid BB in an american cup and they are actually bigger bearings than what mid uses. It's off by just a few mm, however ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I know for sure that the Odyssey ones are Mid in a cup. A few of my friends have bought the American and knocked the bearings ...more

It'd have to be mid in a cup. They probably just used mid size bearings because it's easier to get mid size bearings than it is to get american sized bearings nowadays. I tried to use my dyno detour bearings for my new(er) frame temporarily and they are a little bigger than mid bearings.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican