New Bike | Cranks Won't Spin Very Well Unless Loose

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2012 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2012 1:17 PM

I put together a totally new bike a few weeks ago. It consists of a Skavenger Tunnel Frame, Animal Bottom Bracket and Profile GDH Cranks. If I tighten the crank arms into the spindle until they are snug, the cranks only spin half a cycle by hand. I used to enjoy doing crank flips but they don't even budge. If I back off about a quarter of a turn on the crank bolts, the cranks spin like I want - but the arms are lose on the spindle. The chain is not super tight either.

Is there some obvious thing I am missing that could let the cranks be tight, and spin freely?
It seems like the crank arms are pushing on the cones which are pushing on the bearings making it hard to rotate?

|

3/16/2012 1:29 PM

Try greasing or lubing up the spindle a tad bit since it's quite new.

|

Refs: mgbmx666, Fit.Team.Rider, SharifZadeh

3/16/2012 1:32 PM

I thought about that but wasn't sure. I will try it tonight! Thanks for the help.

|

3/16/2012 1:37 PM

StevenBogda wrote:

I thought about that but wasn't sure. I will try it tonight! Thanks for the help.

may sound stupid, but make sure your bearings arent messed up, like loose, and that you have the bottom bracket spacer in it...

|

It's me, Dee Hos

>

30+ Refs!!!!!

3/16/2012 1:39 PM

StevenBogda wrote:

Dee Hos wrote:

may sound stupid, but make sure your bearings arent messed up, like loose, and that you have the bottom bracket spacer in it...

Spacer is in but I will check on the bearings. I used a homemade press thing to push them in flush and they seemed fine. Time to break out the tools again!

|

3/16/2012 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2012 1:43 PM

You mentioned you used an Animal BB, I'm guessing the one with the PC cones, I had that on my old build and found that the plastic sleeves would move out of the aluminum seats every once in a while so I put a dab of superglue to hold the plastic sleeve in place.

I would say give the bb time to break in but it sounds like you've been running this set up for a while.

|

""'''''''\-------/"''"""'
4 pc. \-----/ are still cool... but I don't ride them

3/16/2012 1:47 PM

Bike was assembled about 10 days ago - only rode it twice. Assumed it may need to break in just like new shoes but I am eager to crank flip! I am going to check the above recommendations tonight and give it some time. Thanks for all the help!

|

3/16/2012 2:02 PM

on some cones it is possible to put them on backwards (and not be able to tell visually) and that can create the bearings to bind under pressure and not spin.

I had the problem it sounds like you are describing once and this was the cause of it.

also if your chain is wicked tight that could be a contributor to the problem

|

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

3/16/2012 2:03 PM

it will be like that, make sure your arms are even and if anything,its your bb, because your spindle touches that 19mm metal peice on the bb bearing,and those 2 touch n thoey spin, they are tightly touched also.get a profile bb, i like mine.

|

FREE WI-FI FROM FIT?!?! BIKECHECK DUDES!
refs- TCbmx(x2), bmx4life121303, mohawk, iridebmx2122, louie101202, loco_for_riding, daniel21, BMX2LIV(x2), supremelylazzy, lirider187(x2).