New Chain Noise

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2015 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2015 8:37 AM

I just got a new chain but it's a little crunchy on every crank. I know each sprocket and chain wears together so the sound may be a mismatch between my old sprocket and new chain. The teeth on my old sprocket aren't perfect, but they're not really sharktoothed.

Would it be worth it to drop $55 on a new sprocket or will it still continue to crunch and feel terrible even after replacing the sprocket because the chain just has to wear in?

|

10/2/2015 9:05 AM

I would buy a new sprocket. But then again I can't stand funky noises

|

If it ain't broke...

10/2/2015 9:09 AM

It's fine let it wear in.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

10/2/2015 9:25 AM

Make sure your sprocket bolt is tight enough

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/2/2015 2:11 PM

When you get a new chain it's good to get a new sprocket so they both wear into eachother evenly. The old sprocket might have been work differently from the old chain then the new chain is shaped so that might be it .

Also chains are weird too , a buddy had a BSD chain on a coaster and it sounded so bad I thought he blew his bearings . It was just the chain , pretty nasty sounding . I wouldn't worry about it . Give it time

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/2/2015 3:31 PM

The old chain was stretched, new one isn't, so it has to basically stretch to the old chains level OR wear your sprocket to something closer to the new chain level of stretch. Keep it clean, lubed and over a little time the noise will go away, but ideally replace both around the same time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/2/2015 6:30 PM

BikeLove626 wrote:

I would buy a new sprocket. But then again I can't stand funky noises

That tip sort of contradicts your signature. "If it ain't broke..."

Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to order a La Guardia since I didn't want the new chain to wear and stretch to an old sprocket. I've been wanting a guard sprocket anyway and a new sprocket needs a new chain so it makes more sense to get both now rather than buying another chain down the line.

|