New Cranks suggestions.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2016 10:55 AM

I want to get some new cranks but not sure what cranks to get. The colourway of my bike is black and red so something that would go with that would be ideal.
Below is my BB, current cranks, sprocket and pedal specs.

Bottom Bracket: MidBB, press fit, sealed bearing
Crank: Radio "Rookie" Crank, 4130 CrMo, tubular, 3-piece, 170mm, 8 spline
Sprocket: Radio "AM" Sprocket, 25T, steel
Pedals: Salt "AM" Pedals, nylon/fibreglass

Thanks in advance.

|

12/14/2016 11:12 AM

8 spline cranks are usually 19mm, so if you get 19mm cranks you won't have to replace your bb at the same time. Profiles would be my first choice. It depends on your budget though. Gusset hunter cranks aren't bad if you're on a budget. I don't really look into cranks very often so I don't know what else is available.

I just had a quick look on source, they've got profiles for 120 at the moment. It's not worth getting anything less than that.
I'd also recommend a new sprocket. Anything aftermarket will be better than the one you've got so see what you can get in a sale. Looks like source have got quite a good sale at the moment

|

12/14/2016 11:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

8 spline cranks are usually 19mm, so if you get 19mm cranks you won't have to replace your bb at the same time. Profiles would ...more

I'm kinda trying to replace most parts on my bike as I got it second hand so not all parts have been maintained properly. Also are gyros worth installing or should I just go brakeless?

|

12/14/2016 12:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

8 spline cranks are usually 19mm, so if you get 19mm cranks you won't have to replace your bb at the same time. Profiles would ...more

Poiji wrote:

I'm kinda trying to replace most parts on my bike as I got it second hand so not all parts have been maintained properly. Also ...more

It would work out cheaper to keep your eyes open for a second hand custom build. A guy at work was after a new bike and I found him a fit marv with fit forks, fit bars and stem, odyssey twombolts, mds sprocket, g sport hubs laced to odyssey rims. For £300. That's a £1300 bike! For some reason in this country, second hand bikes go dirt cheap!

A good brake is good, opens up a lot of tricks and ideas. Plus gives you more confidence. But I've always hated gyros myself. There's plenty of good levers, callipers and cables on the market now to be able to get a really dialled brake that doesn't lock up your brake after spinning the bees. That's personal preference though

|

12/14/2016 1:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Poiji wrote:

I'm kinda trying to replace most parts on my bike as I got it second hand so not all parts have been maintained properly. Also ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

It would work out cheaper to keep your eyes open for a second hand custom build. A guy at work was after a new bike and I ...more

Mines a Radio Evol 2013 I got it for £60 but none stop problems with it. I regret getting to be honest. I just didn't have the money at the time for a £250-£300 bike at the time.
I have holes for gyro tabs and everything but I have no clue how to install them properly. I tend to look on YouTube for tutorials quite a lot because I don't want to keep having to go to the bike shop.

|

12/14/2016 1:38 PM

If you want a gyro, you really gotta understand how everything works since its pretty easy to fuck it up
I don't recommend getting cheap unsealed ones tho because they just dont work good
If you dont have experience with brakes and you want one, just get the Odyssey Springfield brake kit. Its super easy to set up and works very well (im riding one for over a year and still zero problems)

|

12/14/2016 1:52 PM

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Try to find a local bmx buy and sell group.
What's your budget for parts and stuff. I reckon I could find you an awesome bike for less than 300. What sort of parts do you want? Geo of the frame etc? I'll start looking

|