New DK loose headset

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2014 6:08 PM

Hi guys. I'm brand new to this forum.
Just got a DK Cleveland. After seeing some people here having luck with them. I assembled everything no problem.
But the headset is somewhat wobbly. It came already assembled so I'm not sure if I was supposed to adjust any of it. But it looks like one of the lower races may be broken? Not sure if they are normally split. Tried to attach some photos. It's on the bottom of the steer tube. It looks to be the lowermost ring on the fork assembly.
Maybe it's installed wrong? Maybe I just need a new race? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks! Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/8/2014 6:12 PM

nice pretty pictures...

Just loosen the stem bolts, and tighten your compression cap, should fix it. then tighten your stem bolts again. just make sure you allow the front end to spin still

hope u like the bike i love mine.check my bike check out ;p

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/8/2014 6:13 PM

Not many people on here work with standard headsets. but Make sure you aren't sitting on the seat while you are doing this. Tighten the compression bolt first (the one on the top) and then wobble it around. if it doesn't wobble you should be good. then straighten your bars. and tighten the pinch bolts (the ones on the side of the stem)

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/8/2014 6:17 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

nice pretty pictures...

Just loosen the stem bolts, and tighten your compression cap, should fix it. then tighten your stem ...more

This. ONLY tighten the compression cap so there is NO PLAY. Do NOT tighten it anymore ! If that doesn't work add a spacer or 2 on top of your headset .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/8/2014 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2014 8:41 PM

^ Eh, a little past no play but not much, Just so you have a little bit of a buffer. If you rip out the star nut its like 5$ though.
The bottom race looks different from my friends dk cleveland which he ripped the starnut out of from over tightening. Installing a new starnut is a breeze tbh.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/8/2014 9:05 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

^ Eh, a little past no play but not much, Just so you have a little bit of a buffer. If you rip out the star nut its like 5$ ...more

i jb-weld my star nut in when I re-assembled my bike after I bought it.(It was a floor model, so you know i stripped it down to everything and rebuilt so its right.)

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/8/2014 9:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2014 9:26 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

i jb-weld my star nut in when I re-assembled my bike after I bought it.(It was a floor model, so you know i stripped it down ...more

Smart, one of my friends friends welded one in then broke his headset and bent the starnut because he thought it was invincible lmfao. Then he just bought new forks out of embarrassment and not being able to get it to break out.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/8/2014 10:21 PM

JB Weld isn't gonna be strong enough in the long run, use that steel putty shit you can buy at the autoparts store, has a WAY higher weight rating than any of the JB Weld does.

|

3/9/2014 1:35 AM

Lose the stem si de bolts, tight the compression bolt.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/9/2014 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2014 5:41 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

nice pretty pictures...

Just loosen the stem bolts, and tighten your compression cap, should fix it. then tighten your stem ...more

Alright. Tightened the compression cap then the sides. It feels much better now. No play like before. However the race looks the same. Not sure if I need to disassemble and adjust? Or is that just how it sits?Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Also can anyone tell me the size of the compression nuts? Been using 6mm but I don't think its metric.

|

3/10/2014 8:26 AM

It seems right. My verde prism was like that.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx