New Federal Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2015 12:17 AM

Photo

Anyone peep these ? Looking pretty good . Like everything about them , embossed logo and the rectangular shape for crankarms is keen haha , I can't crankarm though . Pretty pricey up here though .

Only thing I can squeak at is , I wish they were 22mm , 24mm has such few sprockets that will fit it .
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/11/2015 12:42 AM

They look pretty identical to what animal akimbos would look like if they had a 24mm bb

|

9/11/2015 6:44 AM

Pretty sweet. i dig the square looks.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

9/11/2015 6:47 AM

I like them

|

9/11/2015 6:57 AM

Any sprocket with a 15/16th bore will work. So like 90% of sprockets.

|

9/11/2015 7:42 AM

Most cranks look similar. I'd bet they are pretty solid.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/11/2015 7:54 AM

I really prefer the square profile of my akimbos so I dig these, just a bit concerned with 24 bbs blowing out easier than 19 or 22

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/11/2015 4:35 PM

Pegless_215 wrote:

They look pretty identical to what animal akimbos would look like if they had a 24mm bb

Of course these get mentioned lol . I guess the 24mm and box design is for crankarms because I know people complained about the 19mm Animals . I'd imagine they'd be comfy for catching whips and bars too if you a crank rider haha

|

My Cult 2 Short

9/11/2015 10:02 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Of course these get mentioned lol . I guess the 24mm and box design is for crankarms because I know people complained about ...more

Akimbos are 22mm, not 19mm... Not sure why 22mm is something to complain about though.

I like the look of the Federal cranks though, but I don't like the 24mm. I was never a fan of bringing 24mm spindles back. Just seems way overkill, like if someone made a 17mm center axle for a front hub.

|

9/11/2015 11:34 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Akimbos are 22mm, not 19mm... Not sure why 22mm is something to complain about though.

I like the look of the Federal cranks ...more

Not really a crank killer but I know some people are hard on them . But personally I just don't like the marketability of them . Just sprocket wise and BB wise , so few options . My complete has 22mm and that's decently common but 24 has so little parts , you'd almost have to special order them here in Canada . I know for sure my local doesn't carry 24mm anything . I think Fit , Stranger , Federal , and someone else makes 24 cranks and that's about it it seems on my mind . I just like having a little bit more strength ( 22mm ) over a 19mm for reassurance but 24 is for the crazies I guess haha

|

My Cult 2 Short

9/11/2015 11:49 PM

Not really a crank killer but I know some people are hard on them . But personally I just don't like the marketability of them ...more

Have any of those people who are hard on cranks ever snapped or even bent a spindle though? Unlikely. I've never seen or heard of any aftermarket crank spindles snapping or even bending. I've seen maybe one snapped spindle that I can think of offhand but it was from a low end stock bike, that's about it. Even Googling I couldn't find anything besides just snapped crank arms, so if anything they should be beefing those up... Not the spindle. Just my 2 cents though.

Of course who knows, maybe people like Stevie Churchill are bending 22mm spindles enough to need a 24mm spindle and we just don't hear about it. But I highly doubt that.

|

9/11/2015 11:53 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I like the look of the Federal cranks ...more

Not really a crank killer but I know some people are hard on them . But personally I just don't like the marketability of them ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Have any of those people who are hard on cranks ever snapped or even bent a spindle though? Unlikely. I've never seen or heard ...more

part of it is that a bigger spindle means that there is more surface area for welds, so they are less likely to snap at the spindle

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/12/2015 7:02 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Have any of those people who are hard on cranks ever snapped or even bent a spindle though? Unlikely. I've never seen or heard ...more

My fat ass twisted a Primo Powerbite spindle back in the day.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2015 7:49 AM

I've seen probably about 6 spindle snap in the last three years all but one were 19mm and the other was a very old set of 22's.

Im personally a fan of the stiff feeling my 24mm. I go through a bottom bracket a year but i've always had an issue with blowing bottom brackets out.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

9/12/2015 8:03 AM

Love my fit indent 24 mm cranks

|

9/12/2015 8:17 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Any sprocket with a 15/16th bore will work. So like 90% of sprockets.

Lol, you're talking to brayden, logic is never near.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

9/12/2015 8:30 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

part of it is that a bigger spindle means that there is more surface area for welds, so they are less likely to snap at the ...more

Yeah, I think the main idea is that it is with a 24mm spindle they are able to get it more hollow, saving weight while actually increasing strength at the same time.

We've sold quite a few of the Fit 24mm cranks and I don't remember any of them coming back with blown bearings.

I've been riding the Fit 24mm 2PC cranks since they came out and I haven't had any problems. With that said, I am the worst tester as I spend 10x more time in the shop or behind the lens these days compared to actual riding.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

9/12/2015 8:36 AM

There solid, but also a solid 2 pounds, 1 ounce..

|

9/12/2015 8:41 AM

bmxChuck wrote:

There solid, but also a solid 2 pounds, 1 ounce..

So 33oz? That's like the same weight as most any other crank… In fact I think for being 24mm that's pretty good.

|

9/12/2015 9:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2015 9:08 AM

I have snapped one crank arm and cracked 2 but never snapped or twisted a spindle. a kid I know twisted a 22mm spindle but I'm not surprised. he does some ridiculous stuff.

edit: as far as cranks go, I prefer the fit indent 24 because of the 2.5 piece design. never cared for 3 piece cranks. the fits are super light too which seems like a good enough reason to go from 22mm to 24mm, especially if no strength is being sacrificed.
|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/12/2015 2:36 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Lol, you're talking to brayden, logic is never near.

I'm working full time and wake up at 6 to get to work , my logic doesn't start until my coffee get into my belly lmao . I never said I'm a mechanic either !

I think these or the powerbites are the ones I want

|

My Cult 2 Short

9/12/2015 3:11 PM

Lot's of companies are coming out with 24mm spindles...

I wonder if they would ever make 24mm bearings for the spanish BB.

btw, fuck spanish BB. lol

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

9/12/2015 5:09 PM

one try kid wrote:

Lot's of companies are coming out with 24mm spindles...

I wonder if they would ever make 24mm bearings for the spanish BB.

...more

They don't make them for Spanish bb because the bearing would be way too thin to stand up to abuse

|

9/12/2015 5:21 PM

The 24 mm indents are the second lightest bmx cranks. Lighter than thunderbolts. Lighter than tibias and all those other popular cranks.

|

9/14/2015 12:09 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

The 24 mm indents are the second lightest bmx cranks. Lighter than thunderbolts. Lighter than tibias and all those other ...more

the spline drive ones are, not the bolt drive

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands