New Freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2016 5:16 PM

Sup duders,

I just bit the bullet and bought a new Odyssey Clutch. I got it laced up and ready to go. i put it on my bike, took it for a spin, and realized my 710 chain was too chunky for the driver and was dragging and making it a very unsmooth ride, and cranks not being able to be spun around all the way

So first question, whats a good chain for the clutch? I was thinking about spending the money on the Shadow Halflink.

Secondly, after realizing my chain had issues, I realized I know nothing about coasters. I'd really hate to break it after dropping $150 on it, so I guess my question is, are there any DO NOT DO things with coasters compared to cassettes?

Thanks!

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

8/20/2016 6:31 PM

So first off coasters need grease so what you can do is slide the silver adjustment tab and put some grease in there and it'll sink it's way into the hub. You can find how to's on YouTube for the Clutch , but if you're not sure I'd say leave it until you feel comfortable or maybe watch a couple videos first .

With chains , full link chains are always better in my eyes , but in you want a halflink go for a KMC 510 or something a bit thinner in diameter . If you're pedalling smooth and not trying to go from 0-100 off the bat your chain will last a lot longer

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/20/2016 6:46 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So first off coasters need grease so what you can do is slide the silver adjustment tab and put some grease in there and it'll ...more

I second this. I recommend the KMC Z-410. Or maybe the Odyssey Keychain, if you're willing to spend.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/20/2016 7:30 PM

Well, all hubs need grease haha. I know bike maintenance. Thanks for the opinions!

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

8/20/2016 11:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2016 4:05 PM

dont run your chain tight or youll break it!!

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

8/21/2016 8:27 PM

Are you saying it won't spin around backwards like if you are doing a crankflip? Because one of my friends had that problem when he first got the clutch but it loosened up after a while.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/22/2016 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2016 7:17 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Are you saying it won't spin around backwards like if you are doing a crankflip? Because one of my friends had that problem ...more

Nah its deff a chain issue. Its a 710 chain so it has bulky links like the photo below. It drags around the driver going either direction.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0836/4641/products/710.jpg?v=1444346423

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

8/22/2016 7:43 PM

I just picked up an Odyssey Bluebird chain a couple weeks ago-I've heard nothing but good. Haven't thrown it on yet. I figure I want to sprocket bash bar something awesome first, and will replace my nearly 5 year old shadow interlock 2 when I do.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2016 5:42 PM

The bluebird is the most dialed cheapish regular chain
Hollowpin Keychain is where it's at tho

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider