New Kink for my 10 yr old. Opinions needed.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2013 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2013 8:56 PM

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102158/2013_Kink_Whip_Bike.html#

Mostly just cruises the neighborhood. Currently on a Redline Proline Expert.

Some light, small ramp jumping. No rigorous tricks or big jumps.

It's 100% chromoly, sealed hubs and bottom bracket.

On sale @ Dans Comp. $275 (with promo code). Tax and shipped.

Opinions?
|

7/28/2013 1:38 PM

whats it called, the link wasnt working for me

|

7/28/2013 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2013 1:40 PM

Link doesn't work for some reason but I'm assuming it's the 2013 Kink Whip. If so that's perfect. It's always been one of the best bikes for the price. Full chromoly frame, bars, and fork, integrated headset, sealed bottom bracket, and hubs, etc. All great stuff. Only bad things are male front hub and single wall front rim, neither of which will be a problem for him. Definitely go for it.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/28/2013 1:50 PM

If it's the 2013 whip I just bought one for myself. I"m just getting back into it and the bike has been perfect for what I need. I think he'll like it. No parts problems yet. The seat is uncomfortable as hell and I did have to file down the brass on one of the brake posts. Other than that it's been great.

|

7/28/2013 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2013 5:16 PM

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102158/2013_Kink_Whip_Bike.html#

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, it's the 2013 Kink Whip.

Why go with two different rims? Single wall front and double rear? Is it a weight thing?

The 2013 Kink Whip bike features a full chromoly frame with an integrated headtube drilled for gyro tabs, chromoly Kink Stout fork, Mission Converge stem, 8.25" Kink Uptown chromoly bars, Kink Omega grips, Mission Halt U-brake, Mission Transit 3-pc cranks with sealed Spanish BB, 25T Mission chainwheel, 14mm Mission React sealed cassette hub with 9T driver, 3/8" Mission Echo sealed front hub, 36H Alienation PBR front and Black Sheep rear rims, Kenda Kontact tires, Kink Monroe Pivotal seat and Mission Impulse PC pedals. (25.2 lbs)

Frame Specs
Toptube: 20.5"
Headtube Angle: 74.5°
Seattube Angle: 71°
Seattube Height: 8.5"
BB Height: 11.75"
Chainstays: 13.75"

Handlebar Specs
Rise: 8.25"
Width: 28.5"

Upgrades over 2013 Kink Gap & Gap XL bikes

Full chromoly frame
Full chromoly Kink Stout fork
Mission Converge stem
Mission Halt U-brake
Mission React sealed cassette hub
Mission Echo sealed front hub
Alienation Black Sheep rear rim
|

7/28/2013 5:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2013 5:19 PM

|

7/28/2013 5:23 PM

Double walled rims are basically stronger. Kink decided to use a single walled rim for their front wheel (which takes less abuse than the rear wheel) to keep the price a tiny bit lower. I'd say your kid will have no problems with that bike durability wise for a long time.

|

7/28/2013 5:27 PM

how tall is the kid?

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

7/28/2013 5:43 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

how tall is the kid?

He's 4'9". Long legs.

|

7/28/2013 5:56 PM

brianoob wrote:

Double walled rims are basically stronger. Kink decided to use a single walled rim for their front wheel (which takes less abuse than the rear wheel) to keep the price a tiny bit lower. I'd say your kid will have no problems with that bike durability wise for a long time.

That makes sense.

He doesn't dish out that much punishment...yet. I can always get a better rim (and female hub) if he tweeks it.

My five year old is a more aggressive rider. I need to move him fom his 16" Specialized Hotrocks to an 18" soon too.

(I wanted the $350 Redline Pitboss but got the $230 Specialized used in perfect condition for $50)

|

7/28/2013 6:25 PM

Photo
|

7/28/2013 7:06 PM

Get him a Sunday Spark smile

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

7/28/2013 9:04 PM

Hmmm....

I checked out the Sunday Spark.

Hi ten, heavier, unsealed front hub.

Why go with that? smile

|

7/28/2013 9:09 PM

I would be ready to replace the tires tho. Kenda Kontact tires are notorious for being junky. Look into Odyssey or Animal whenever those start to go bad. Also, order like 4 tubes just in case he starts to get flats!!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/28/2013 10:03 PM

brianoob wrote:

Fateswarning wrote:

That makes sense.

He doesn't dish out that much punishment...yet. I can always get a better rim (and female hub) if he tweeks it.

My five year old is a more aggressive rider. I need to move him fom his 16" Specialized Hotrocks to an 18" soon too.

(I wanted the $350 Redline Pitboss but got the $230 Specialized used in perfect condition for $50)

While I'm not a fan of Redline or Specialized, a Cult 18 or Sunday 18 would do the trick perfectly. Great deals for their prices and will last them for a minute

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

7/28/2013 10:28 PM

Thanks.

I've been eyeballin' the Cult 18 for my 5yo.

It's light weight (aluminum frame).

It has an unsealed front hub and single walled rims but he's only forty pounds so...

|

7/28/2013 10:40 PM

FuckYoCult wrote:

While I'm not a fan of Redline or Specialized, a Cult 18 or Sunday 18 would do the trick perfectly. Great deals for their prices and will last them for a minute

Haha, Redline makes good stuff, they are more widely known in Racing than freestyle. Other company's aftermarket frames are put out like a shotgun blast, all over the place with different sizes and geo. Redline's aftermarket frames are like a sniper shot. Bad ass and to the point. It's just the trendy new kids who don't know any better, so they think rebrand companies are the way to go. The op knows enough to make a good, sound decision, obviously, but put a feeler out anyway. If the Sunday is hi ten, there's no point, and obviously Sunday didn't make it to be seriously competitive, just to fill the void.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/28/2013 11:19 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

That makes sense.

FuckYoCult wrote:

Chuck8273 wrote:

Haha, Redline makes good stuff, they are more widely known in Racing than freestyle. Other company's aftermarket frames are put out like a shotgun blast, all over the place with different sizes and geo. Redline's aftermarket frames are like a sniper shot. Bad ass and to the point. It's just the trendy new kids who don't know any better, so they think rebrand companies are the way to go. The op knows enough to make a good, sound decision, obviously, but put a feeler out anyway. If the Sunday is hi ten, there's no point, and obviously Sunday didn't make it to be seriously competitive, just to fill the void.

I agree.

We have a Redline Flight Pro that I ride, a proline expert and a Mini race bikes. They're good for the track. (I don't ride the track anymore.)

Some Redline D/S/P bikes are good but pricey. I really like the pitboss. It's sort of a hybrid. It's one of the only lightweight 16" bikes other than the hot rocks. Most are tanks. He likes to jump.

I'm not a specialized fan either but the 16" has been great for the little guy. It's got good geometry and really light. He can control, jump, wheelie and bunny hop it really well.

I'm just an old guy trying to keep up.

Thanks for the feedback.

|

7/28/2013 11:30 PM

FuckYo Cult:

I can't find a Sunday 18", only 16".

|

7/29/2013 8:30 PM

Got it down to 269.99 on Dans Comp.

|

7/29/2013 8:44 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Yeah i ride a redline proline XL stem and it has outlasted every other stem i have had and hasn't slipped once.
and there flight cranks aren't that bad either

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/29/2013 11:01 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

Nice! You won't be disappointed with everything sealed and fully chromoly for that price. Only similar bike to this would be the 2013 Kink Liberty except that bike is fully brakeless.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/29/2013 11:56 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

FuckYo Cult:

I got it confused, but you can go with a Hoffman Ontic 18. Tough as nails, and will definitely last.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

7/30/2013 6:15 AM

Kink also makes an 18" called the Kicker. Kink makes are really good bike for the price. if you can get it that cheap scoop it quick!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

7/31/2013 8:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2013 9:11 PM

Got a 15% off online coupon. Got it down to. $ 255.04.

Other sites had it on sale for $409.

Pulled the trigger. Should be here next week. My son should have a have a happy 10th birthday.

Thank you all for the info.

|

7/31/2013 9:14 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

Got a 15% off online coupon. Got it down to. $ 255.04.

Other sites had it on sale for $409.

Pulled the trigger. Should be here next week. My son should have a have a happy 10th birthday.

Thank you all for the info.

You made a good choice sir! hope he enjoys it!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

7/31/2013 9:19 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Nice! You won't be disappointed with everything sealed and fully chromoly for that price. Only similar bike to this would be the 2013 Kink Liberty except that bike is fully brakeless.

Hmmm...

The Liberty looks good, a little better. I just don't know if he's down for no brakes, yet...

He's not as aggressive as my 5yo.

Thanks

|

7/31/2013 9:45 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

Thanks.

I've been eyeballin' the Cult 18 for my 5yo.

It's light weight (aluminum frame).

It has an unsealed front hub and single walled rims but he's only forty pounds so...

If anything ends up happening to the Cult, look at an FBM Lil Gypsy. Full Cromo hand made in the USA

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

7/31/2013 9:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2013 10:32 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

FuckYo Cult:

FuckYoCult wrote:

I got it confused, but you can go with a Hoffman Ontic 18. Tough as nails, and will definitely last.

I went to a local bike store today and they had both the Cult cc18 and the Hoffman Ontic 18 in stock.

I compared them. They were the same price, $359. Hopefully they'll come down when the '14's come out.

Although the Hoffman may be be better, it was definitely heavier.

At 5yr's old and 40 lbs, he can bunny hop and jump his current bike well and a few lbs can make a big difference at his age.

The Cult is aluminum, lighter but weaker. Would you go for the Hoffman?

|

7/31/2013 10:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2013 10:17 PM

Fateswarning wrote:

FuckYo Cult:

FuckYoCult wrote:

Fateswarning wrote:

I went to a local bike store today and they had both the Cult cc18 and the Hoffman Ontic 18 in stock.

I compared them. They were the same price, $359. Hopefully they'll come down when the '14's come out.

Although the Hoffman may be be better, it was definitely heavier.

At 5yr's old and 40 lbs, he can bunny hop and jump his current bike well and a few lbs can make a big difference at his age.

The Cult is aluminum, lighter but weaker. Would you go for the Hoffman?

I jacked up the quotes.

Collin_McClenahan wrote: If anything ends up happening to the Cult, look at an FBM Lil Gypsy. Full Cromo hand made in the USA

Collin:

I checked out the Lil' Gypsy online just now. They seem like they're really good.

I have a dealer close to me. I'll have to check them out.

They don't sell completes? It usually costs a lot more to piece one together but it may be worth it.

I'll have to look into it more.

Thanks

|