New Nathan Williams Video - Will you pay to watch?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2020 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2020 10:26 AM

Nathan Williams has a new video part dropping on August 7th. It's definitely going to be amazing, but it's not going to be free. The video is behind a paywall and it'll cost you $5 to watch it. The $5 also enters viewers into a raffle for some gear from Nathan's sponsors, but obviously everyone won't be a winner.

So... incredible BMX video behind a paywall. Will you be making the purchase?

|

7/20/2020 10:45 AM

If they make it available on the GooglePlay store, then most definitely. However, it looks like it's only available from the gumroad website? Also, the description on the gumroad website is kind of confusing.

Nathan Williams 'Why Not' video part came about 3 years ago as an independent project with Christian Rigal behind the lens. With no deadline in sight the goal was to take some time, make something special and try something different, why not? Filmed entirely in 4k/5k resolution from California to Texas, this part is just under 9 minutes of insanity that will leave you wondering what you just saw, and if it was switch?

Why did they say it came out 3 years ago? I thought it is new footage available startin Aug. 7th?

|

7/20/2020 11:02 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

If they make it available on the GooglePlay store, then most definitely. However, it looks like it's only available from the gumroad website? Also, the description on the gumroad website is kind of confusing.

Nathan Williams 'Why Not' video part came about 3 years ago as an independent project with Christian Rigal behind the lens. With no deadline in sight the goal was to take some time, make something special and try something different, why not? Filmed entirely in 4k/5k resolution from California to Texas, this part is just under 9 minutes of insanity that will leave you wondering what you just saw, and if it was switch?

Why did they say it came out 3 years ago? I thought it is new footage available startin Aug. 7th?

"Came about" - not "came out."

Kind of confusing wording, but I believe they're trying to say the project began (or was at least initially discussed) three years ago.

|

7/20/2020 11:13 AM

i'd rather pay for longer videos and end instagram edits once and for all.

|

fack off

7/20/2020 11:18 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

It's almost like how things were before Instagram even existed... Hahaha!

|

7/20/2020 11:32 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

kylecarlson wrote:

i'm also tired of regular edits. just make a fucking full length video!

|

fack off

7/20/2020 12:00 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Would you prefer $20 for a full length with multiple sections over $5 for a nine minute video of hammers?

|

7/20/2020 12:08 PM

I'd rather buy a beer....

|

7/20/2020 12:17 PM

Who gets the money and what gear gets raffled lol

Will it be released a few months or a year later for free?

I most likely won’t pay to watch it I’d rather pay 10-20 bucks for a full video with a physical disc and cover I can hold

|

7/20/2020 12:27 PM

cky199 wrote:

Who gets the money and what gear gets raffled lol

Will it be released a few months or a year later for free?

I most likely won’t pay to watch it I’d rather pay 10-20 bucks for a full video with a physical disc and cover I can hold

I assume the cash generated goes to Christian Rigal and possibly Nathan Williams. If there was no outside support for this video (I get the impression they were on their own for this, but I could be wrong), expenses stack up quickly - flights, gas, hotels, equipment expenses, etc.

It hasn't been noted if it will be released free later on. I'd imagine it will at some point, but long after it's shiny and new.

|

7/20/2020 12:31 PM

$5 is chump change. I like watching him ride so it was an easy purchase. The raffles are a bonus. Its $5 for the 4K version and $4 for the 1080p. I have a 4k tv so it was an immediate purchase.

|

7/20/2020 12:52 PM

Likely not.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/20/2020 1:22 PM

Probably not. Sure, it is 9 minutes of some pretty heavy riding, but I would honestly rather see things slip back into the early-mid 00's video setup with PHYSICAL copies and full length videos. Even if he and like 3 other dudes compiled say 5-10 mins each and tossed it onto a DVD and charged 20 it would be an easier purchase for me.

I am also cheap and so out of touch with a lot of the riding and riders these days that it wouldn't matter.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/20/2020 2:03 PM

Nope.

|

7/20/2020 2:04 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

kylecarlson wrote:

Would you prefer $20 for a full length with multiple sections over $5 for a nine minute video of hammers?

I'd prefer $20 for a full length

|

fack off

7/20/2020 2:10 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

For $20 or more I would prefer physical releases. Preferably in HD. BLU Ray's all the way. No DVD needed. I was a little ticked that the Federal release was DVD only. I had to download an HD version from Youtube.

|

7/20/2020 3:35 PM

In all honesty though, I think $5 isn't a big deal and I'll gladly pay it. Especially if it goes towards supporting good filmers and riders. Those guy put in WORK and we get so much great content for free now with the internet that I think it's easy to forget how much work even a 9 minute hammer edit takes.

Would I have paid $5 for the 13 minute "Always Fiending" video? No doubt. I've watched that at least 5 times and I'm sure this will be similar.

My only wish is that it was more readily available (GooglePlay/App Store) rather than an obscure website. It would make it that much easier to re-watch over an over if I just had it downloaded on my phone where my other videos are. Not to mention where my payment information is already saved.

|

7/20/2020 4:07 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

In all honesty though, I think $5 isn't a big deal and I'll gladly pay it. Especially if it goes towards supporting good filmers and riders. Those guy put in WORK and we get so much great content for free now with the internet that I think it's easy to forget how much work even a 9 minute hammer edit takes.

Would I have paid $5 for the 13 minute "Always Fiending" video? No doubt. I've watched that at least 5 times and I'm sure this will be similar.

My only wish is that it was more readily available (GooglePlay/App Store) rather than an obscure website. It would make it that much easier to re-watch over an over if I just had it downloaded on my phone where my other videos are. Not to mention where my payment information is already saved.

AFAIK Gumroad is just a platform to help people sell digital files. They take payments and host the files for download. It should just be a MP4 that you can save wherever and play on whatever you like.

|

7/20/2020 5:22 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

AFAIK Gumroad is just a platform to help people sell digital files. They take payments and host the files for download. It should just be a MP4 that you can save wherever and play on whatever you like.

Good to know, thanks

|

7/20/2020 8:54 PM

I already did. It’s 9 minutes of footage from the best rider in the world. I’d rather it not become the norm tho, like ideally edits could still be put out for free and riders would get payed from their sponsors, or teams and crews could just make a full length dvd. But for nathan williams, yeah i can spend the $5

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/21/2020 12:20 AM

Unquestionably yes. Nathan has been one of my favourite people to watch ride for nearly fifteen years, and a video without the time pressures that a full-length project brings should be pretty unreal. That said, I agree that I'd rather a physical full-length for $20-$30USD. However, those are usually a little harder to get your hands on down under so I will take quality media where I can get it.

|

7/22/2020 5:44 AM

i pre-ordered. merely to directly support a professional BMXer and his BMX project.

I haven't bought a bar drink in 5 months so i have an extra $5.

|

7/22/2020 1:24 PM

I really dig Christians content in general so I'll gladly pay a few bucks for it.

|

7/22/2020 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2020 1:36 PM

no, becuase pretty much all my money goes towards rent.

and an alcohol habit ... and my friends alcohol habits
food is free

Im trying to find a way to not pay rent while also having a place to poop and shower and not get corona virus

im down to spend money on concrete, though!

|

wallride a bus everyday

7/22/2020 3:42 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

kylecarlson wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

I'd prefer $20 for a full length

I've bought a collection of DVDs in my time. Props was 18.99 and my cut off price. I will never forget how much ride was charging for "Range of Motion" wasn't right.

|

7/23/2020 5:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2020 5:16 PM

|

7/24/2020 2:40 AM

I did i mean why not its a few bucks, Nathan is a great rider and person.

|