Old rider

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2016 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2016 8:38 PM

Hello All,
I rode for awhile and stop for several years. Honestly thought I was only one who stopped over 10 years and wanted to ride again until I see a lot of people on here do the same! I've been out and I see the brands have changed a lot since then. One of my favorite bikes I had was a bike everyone loved to hate was the proverty buck 99. It was heavy as hell but for a kid who was broke I loved every minute riding it. Right now I'm looking on Craigslist for a bike to start riding again and would like to know what should I be looking for these days ?

|

5/22/2016 9:35 PM

Welcome back!! I rode in the late 70's and early 80's, and then got out of it. Got back in about a year ago, and it has been awesome to retouch base. It has been very therapeutic!!

The new bikes are very pretty machines...and it also makes me appreciate my old bike even more. Have fun getting back on it. Don't feel like you have to ride Pro right away! Just get back on it and see what you remember. I am slowly getting back some skills, and actually doing some things that I didn't even know I could back in the 80's.

Basically in bikes a couple things are the same: full Chromoly if possible; sealed bearings and hubs....for me, the biggest change from the 80's is seat height (there really is none now) and smaller sprockets and cassettes....HT angles are a bit less slack - 75 deg instead of 74....and no brakes is the standard...something I will never do

I am a noob here on the forum, but it has been very helpful to hear from the wide range of riders here!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/23/2016 7:20 AM

When I stopped people were just starting to ride brake less but really I think it was people didn't have the cash and they rather spend money on triple wall rims or good crank. Also I've noticed how small the sprockets have gone. Right now I have been looking on Craigslist to find nice bike for cheap. Shouldn't be to hard to find a decent one to start on again.

|

5/23/2016 12:34 PM

Welcome! There's plenty of us older guys on here. Your best bet is to find a few bikes and give us a link, we can check them out and tell which is the better option and why. Sounds like you must've given up at the end of the mid school era? Early 00's?
Frame geometry has changed, but you won't notice it after so long off a bike. The biggest difference is everything is integrated now. You can literally strip and rebuild a bike with a 6mm Allen key. Most of the good brands from back then are still around, and are still awesome.

|

5/23/2016 2:20 PM

|

5/23/2016 2:58 PM

^^^ so far, of those, the DK is the only one with a sturdy frame. It is the only one I would even consider. You are lucky though, here in C-bus, thee are very few BMX's on Craigslist...and the ones on there no one every reply's back about...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/23/2016 3:03 PM

I mean for $50 what do I really expect ... yes Wisconsin is very very bike heavy primarily road/mountain bikes.

|

5/23/2016 4:46 PM

I strongly suggest a helmet and pads.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/23/2016 8:45 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

^^^ so far, of those, the DK is the only one with a sturdy frame. It is the only one I would even consider. You are lucky ...more

Also I'm surprised c bus doesn't I grew up in cincy and it use to be pretty popular.

|

5/24/2016 5:44 AM

I'm 37, just got back into it last summer after 20 years off. From what I have seen, and what others posted, no brakes, really small front sprockets, and a clear separation between bmx racing, trail, and street bikes. Bmx racing is almost an entirely different sport. Do you ride street, trails, or race? Hi-tensile steel has replaced chromoly on a lot of lower priced completes. You can find a lot of useful information by searching the forum here since many popular questions gets asked over and over again. Welcome back!

p.s the current low priced anomaly is the mongoose 900 from Walmart. It won't break the bank if your looking to spend the least $ to try the sport again.

|

5/24/2016 6:26 AM

johnduff86 wrote:

I'm 37, just got back into it last summer after 20 years off. From what I have seen, and what others posted, no brakes, really ...more

Double wall rims, 3 piece crank and chromoly frame/fork for $200 ! That is a better bike than most I've found on Craigslist for only a little more $$. I I use to ride dirt and street but when I start riding again it will be street.

|

5/24/2016 7:02 AM

Yeah it looks great on paper and should serve well as a starter bike. At least it should give you enough time to decide if you want to stick with it. Most non-racing frames/bikes (on DansComp et. al.) are geared toward street. Only a handful of frames are designed for trails. Although I would imagine you would prob want to upgrade the 900 piece by piece.

|

5/24/2016 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2016 7:30 PM

The stem on the 900 people say needs replaced . Out of the box is there anything you would recommend on it ?

|

5/26/2016 2:16 PM

I usually would upgrade the things i predict will break first. Pressure points like the stem and cranks. Maybe bars. Cranks first though. I imaging it has pinch bolt cranks, which ive never been a fan of. Hard to say without actually riding it. Best part about it is that returns should b easy considering its walmart. Most bike stores dont fancy returns on bikes that were ridden.

|

5/26/2016 4:59 PM

johnduff86 wrote:

I usually would upgrade the things i predict will break first. Pressure points like the stem and cranks. Maybe bars. Cranks ...more

My wife's friend bought one for her kid and he snapped the chain right away, they are being awful about returns and repairs.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/26/2016 7:22 PM

I bought the mongoose 900. It's being shipped and should have it next week. I mean even if it's not the best it's a good start and $200 really isn't that big of a deal when you think of the total cost of this sport.

|

5/27/2016 4:08 AM

I guess returns around here are easier. Its walmart. Ask to speak to a manager. Should be no hassle.

Great! Post some pics or a video of it when u get it. It would be nice to see more. Enjoy!

|

5/27/2016 5:50 AM

Mongoose offer a year warranty on their bikes, so if the store won't offer a replacement part (IF something breaks), make a complaint and tell them you'll take it to an independent and expect them to pay the bill.
The warranty will be void if you take it to a skatepark or do jumps on it. But as long as the bikes looked after and kept clean they'll have a hard time proving it's been misused. Stores like that hate complaints, and they can't dodge a warranty issue. They'll pay to have the part replaced just to shut you up and get you back out the door.

|

5/27/2016 6:36 PM

I want to put on 4 piece bars and maybe a new stem. What are your guys recommendations on parts without going nuts.

|

5/27/2016 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2016 6:43 PM

Not trying to be a "negative nellie"

I don't get spending $200 on a bike...supposedly due to a small budget...and then spending hundreds more to upgrade parts. Wouldn't it have been smarter to just save some extra and buy the better parted bike? I mean, to each his own I guess...

Just saying....

I have never used 4 piece bars, but from what I have heard, they do not give any kind of advantage vs 2's. (which is why I have never used them)
|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/27/2016 9:38 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I don't get spending $200 on a bike...supposedly due to a small budget...and then ...more

I imagine I'll just ride the hell out of it until it falls apart. Then if I'm really riding still ill buy a better bike.

|

5/28/2016 2:45 AM

Exactly

|

5/28/2016 2:51 AM

Apparently it's full chromoly frame fork and bars. It doesn't mention anywhere about sealed bearings though. Or toptube length. Chances are the cranks are wafty, and the back wheel. If you replace parts they'd be the first things I'd look into. Possibly the frame if it's too short. Maybe a topload stem to raise the bars but you can flip the stem for now (I personally hate the look of upside-down front loaders. That would do my head in). But it's definitely not a bad place to start. You could spend $400 on a bike and still need to upgrade parts

|

5/28/2016 3:01 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I don't get spending $200 on a bike...supposedly due to a small budget...and then ...more

Yes it would be better, for those that know they will stick with it, and have the $ up front. Buying a lower end complete allows to upgrade piece by piece. And if it sits in the garage, your only out $200.

4 piecebars is a looks thing. I dont think an argument can be made about strength. i ride an fbm stem. Except for racing parts, most bmx parts are kind of two tiered pricing. Budget And regular. example. Stolen talon cranks are budget, all others are around $130. There are exceptions, like odyssey thunderbolts, but most of the stuff is kind of price fixed. Especially stuff like bars and stems.

|

5/29/2016 10:08 AM

I'm going to add gyro breaks and full sealed bearings for the crank. It's probably all I'm going to do until something breaks.

|

5/29/2016 10:26 AM

You won't be able to put a gyro on that I'm afraid buddy. It doesn't have gyro tabs (the holes the lower mounts thread into) on the steerer, and as it's integrated you can't use a lower plate.

Measure the axle carefully before you buy a bb. 19mm and 22mm are common, but some axles on completes are 20mm. Sealed bearings are available, but rare as heck

|

5/29/2016 5:11 PM

Yeah id prob just ride it as is.

|

5/29/2016 6:04 PM

New model "ride till it dies" .

|

5/29/2016 7:28 PM

Brickell wrote:

I imagine I'll just ride the hell out of it until it falls apart. Then if I'm really riding still ill buy a better bike.

Thats cool, and I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just maybe planting a little seed if you have not thought to go that direction. The key is to get out there and ride however. I think replacing the parts will also give you great knowledge about keeping the bike in working order as well...plus parts shopping is really fun!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/29/2016 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2016 7:55 PM

All honest the reason I wanted to get back into it was something fun physically to do. I fight and need something else than just training to do so I don't go nuts . I bought a nice road bike that I use for other ways to condition cardio( also to fight against shin splints) but the little kid in me felt like I was a trader for riding it. I will still use my road bike but to have another physically outlet other than training will be nice.

|