New Purchase

Related:
Create New Tag

12/12/2017 3:49 AM

Recently stripped the bolts on the Salt brake that came with the bike, so It made sense to make an upgrade (in my opinion) as I there is nothing I hate more than fiddling round and adjusting the brake.

Photo

I've gone for the Odyssey Springfield due to ridiculously cheap price and how easy they look to adjust.

I know there are a lot of mixed reviews on these brakes, but surely they are worth a punt.

What are peoples experiences with them, any tips, e.g. using two springs?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/12/2017 4:55 AM

Eh. Spring broke on me twice and the pads aren't great. Nothing is adjustable. Not my favorite

|

12/12/2017 5:10 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Eh. Spring broke on me twice and the pads aren't great. Nothing is adjustable. Not my favorite

I'll give the ghost pads a whirl, but I've got slimbyfours as back up.

What brake do you run Evo?

I'm a but concerned because I do a lot of fufanu/abubaca/tyre tap stuff.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/12/2017 10:00 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I'm a but concerned ...more

I could be totally wrong, but I think the Springfield Brake is marketed as a quick-to-install system that wasn’t for super heavy brake riders. I run the EVO II setup and it’s been amazing for three years now. Only adjust them once or twice a month. I’ve always wanted to try the Ghost Pads, but I’m a bit skeptical, so I too run Slim-By-Four Pads.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

12/12/2017 10:08 AM

One of my buddies runs a Springfield brake and does fufs and abubacas all day long, and this guy rides hard...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/12/2017 10:09 AM

But like Readybmxer said, there are better brakes like the EVO II etc.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/12/2017 11:07 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I'm a but concerned ...more

Yeah I run Evos. I think youll be okay on Springfields but theyre definitely not as optimal as better brakes.

|

12/12/2017 11:09 AM

Sometimes the cable will disconnect itself from the arm. I've got one on my son's bike and it's done it a few times, and it happens to a kid at my local park. But, they feel pretty nice and brake pretty well.

|

12/12/2017 11:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 12:33 PM

Ive got 2. I put one on my sons bike and I have one on my dirt jumper. The ghost pads seem to work ok on some finishes. Kinda depends.

Im gonna have to put some tape or something around them.

Under what circumstances did the cable pop off, Grumpy?

|

12/12/2017 1:09 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Yes I like EVOs, Fly and something with bearings seem so much better.

|