New bike?!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2018 9:18 AM

The wife randomly suggested I should treat myself to a new bike yesterday. So I keep thinking about it. I don't need a full bike as I just got cranks and hubs. But I keep thinking about what other bits I could get. I genuinely can't think of anything. My forks are fairly new and I'd want the same. My bars are pretty old, but I'd want the same, my stem is really old, but I love it, my rims are old but there's nothing wrong with them, I've got spare tyres, my headset is pretty new, my grips have worn in nicely, my bb is brand new, my seat and post are old, but I like them. The only other thing I can think of is a frame. But it would have to be another fbm custom, and I don't really want to change geometry enough to warrant the cost........

Don't know why I'm posting this really. Just thinking out loud I guess. I love my bike!

|

9/21/2018 9:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2018 9:31 AM

You could always send money to me? My Xbox died last night. I'm not sure what to do with myself.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/21/2018 9:32 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You could always send money to me? My Xbox died last night. I'm not sure what to do with myself.

I think she's trying to keep me sweet because she wants a new gaming pc set up. Which will cost more than a bike. I can't really afford it, but I've been given permission so it's definitely worth thinking about!

|

9/21/2018 9:59 AM

I have 3 bikes now all different. 20", 24" and a 26".
Might I suggest to buy a different style bike and try a different style riding?

The 26" bike I have is a fat tire bmx, and it amazing how it turns a hilly grassy area into a jump area.

A 24" is still trickable, but you can ride faster and hit some trails.

On your side of the pond these types of bikes are gaining popularity but the price is WOW:
https://trialssuperstore.com/products/inspired-skye-team-24

just a thought.

|

9/21/2018 10:01 AM

Tell her the new 20 series Nvidia cards are shite and she should stick with the soon to be discounted 10 series. Lol

Also, I dunno what to suggest other than just letting her have the PC and you having nothing. Extra man points.

|

9/21/2018 10:09 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

Might I suggest to buy a different style bike and try a different style ...more

I had a 24" ns capital (2 in fact), an ns metropolis, and a 26" illbike candy. The bigger wheels do absolutely nothing for me and I wish I never spent the money on them.
I have no need for another bike, I was thinking more about just replacing bits on mine, but don't really need anything

|

9/21/2018 10:14 AM

screamingtiger wrote:

Might I suggest to buy a different style bike and try a different style ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I had a 24" ns capital (2 in fact), an ns metropolis, and a 26" illbike candy. The bigger wheels do absolutely nothing for me ...more

Well then that's that!

|

9/21/2018 10:14 AM

jbales wrote:

Tell her the new 20 series Nvidia cards are shite and she should stick with the soon to be discounted 10 series. Lol

Also, I ...more

Well if she wants a new pc, I won't moan. Because I'll get her old one smile
I just want to take advantage of the offer haha. My frame is close to 2 years old already, so I could kind of justify just getting a frame. Dunno. I get plenty of man points by running her a bath every night, walking and feeding the dog, and doing most of the housework smile

|

9/21/2018 10:22 AM

Would you be into having a cassette setup and a freecoaster setup at hand? I know some people with extra money do stuff like that, have two similar bikes but for a bit different tricks

|

9/21/2018 11:15 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Would you be into having a cassette setup and a freecoaster setup at hand? I know some people with extra money do stuff like ...more

I had 2 bikes at the beginning of the year and just couldn't justify having both. I like having one bike that's set up exactly how I want it, that I get to know inside out. I only get to ride a few hours a week, and I'd hate feeling like I have to get used to my bike every time I switch it up. Plus I've got nearly another bike plus more in spares I need to sell!
I might just pull the trigger on a frame and save in case something breaks

|

9/21/2018 1:01 PM

Get a custom fbm with a bash guard and chainstay grind plates wink

|

9/21/2018 1:04 PM

Get parts powder coated and then tell her you got everything new

|

Hmmm

9/21/2018 10:27 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

Get a custom fbm with a bash guard and chainstay grind plates wink

I'd be tempted, but they built one before and the guard looked ugly. Ideally I want bullet capped stays, the only thing that's slightly iffy about my frame is I've nearly worn through the welds on the chainstay caps. But it's lasted nearly 2 years with no problems

|

9/21/2018 11:32 PM

Now you have a reason to try a Z coaster wink

|

9/22/2018 12:51 AM

vie4130 wrote:

Now you have a reason to try a Z coaster wink

I can't be bothered now! Plus I just got new hubs and cranks. I could do with a new chain and sprocket. So if I get another custom fbm, chain, sprocket, and the hubs and cranks, that's over £1k already, so I'll leave it at that :/

|

9/22/2018 8:36 AM

Meh... Let her get the gaming PC (if you can swing it) & keep the "new bike card" in your pocket for later. Or... If you can't really swing it, hold off on both. Like I said, the first option certainly has you looking like the prince... Happy wide, happy life.

|

9/22/2018 10:08 AM

Buy one of those stupid bash Haros.

|

9/22/2018 12:25 PM

jbales wrote:

Also, I ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Well if she wants a new pc, I won't moan. Because I'll get her old one smile
I just want to take advantage of the offer haha. My ...more

Sounds like she owes you a bike then...lol

|

9/24/2018 3:11 AM

Get a rail instead.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.