New bike... Need advice

Related:
Create New Tag

5/27/2013 8:26 AM

So I will be picking this up in a couple weeks:

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102266/2013_We_The_People_Trust_Bike.html#

This is the first bike that I'll have ridden in many years, but I'm pretty stoked. Since I'm not really up to speed as to "what parts are good" maybe you guys could recommend a few things. I will have about 200 bucks to spend once the bike is here, and I know I'll need some decent pegs. I probably won't be using them a ton right away, but I might as well get used to the weight... So recommendations? Also, is there anything else on this bike that you would replace or upgrade right away? Mostly street riding, a little park, but I'll be taking it pretty easy for a while. Lots of traffic, so brakeless is out... at least for awhile.

Basically, I'm asking if someone handed you this bike and 250 bucks, what would you do with it?

|

5/27/2013 8:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2013 8:33 AM

maybe new grips and definitely some metal pedals, but just leave it stock for a while, then change parts as they break or need replacing, also, i'd recommend getting the 20.5 top tube unless you are taller than 5 foot 6 or so

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/27/2013 8:31 AM

For pegs everyone seems to like Shadow pegs, G sport pegs etc. I have fly pegs that are pretty old but I never really grind so I don't ride them. The weight won't be a huge deal my bike weighs not even a noticeable amount more with 2 pegs. As for things to buy I don't know lol, the bike actually isn't built that bad. I'd just ride as is until something breaks or you get bored.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/27/2013 8:32 AM

I would only change the grips, then save the rest for when a part breaks i have money to replace it.

|

Boldly going nowhere.

BIKE CHECK.

5/27/2013 8:38 AM

NOGOODNAME wrote:

I would only change the grips, then save the rest for when a part breaks i have money to replace it.

this, most pegs are fine, but I have had good luck with the ones with plastic sleeves (butchers, little ones, ordering some cult butters soon) because you can adapt to each spot, if its concrete, not waxed, use the sleeves, if its a handrail, don't use the sleeves

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/27/2013 8:43 AM

Four wrote:

For pegs everyone seems to like Shadow pegs, G sport pegs etc. I have fly pegs that are pretty old but I never really grind so I don't ride them. The weight won't be a huge deal my bike weighs not even a noticeable amount more with 2 pegs. As for things to buy I don't know lol, the bike actually isn't built that bad. I'd just ride as is until something breaks or you get bored.

This.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/27/2013 3:57 PM

NOGOODNAME wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

this, most pegs are fine, but I have had good luck with the ones with plastic sleeves (butchers, little ones, ordering some cult butters soon) because you can adapt to each spot, if its concrete, not waxed, use the sleeves, if its a handrail, don't use the sleeves

For pegs, I was thinking of going with the stolen silencers, but I am unsure about pedals...
I see some of the more expensive ones have sealed bearings, and removable/adjustable pins... like these:

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/465239/Animal_Hamilton_Pedals_(Sealed).html
http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/465272/Demolition_Trooper_Pedals.html

What do people think of these vs. some of the lower priced ones?

Also, there's a ton of grips out there, I don't even know where to start.... Which also brings me to bar ends. I'm not sure on the grips, but I was thinking of these for ends:

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/365125/Shadow_Conspiracy_Deadbolt_Alloy_Bar_Ends.html#

|

5/27/2013 11:17 PM

Sealed Pedals with Removable Pins will last a lot longer because the Bearings are less likely to Break and when the Pedals become less grippy, you can just replace the Pins. A decent set of Sealed Pedals can last you years.

Just ride the Bar Ends that come with the Grips, Odyssey Par Ends are probably the best though.

|

5/28/2013 12:23 AM

I'm a big fan of metal bar ends. They last for ever, I've been running a pair of s&m bar tabs for going on 5 years or so now and they are in great shape still.

I'm a big fan of the bonedeth diet grinders for pegs: they are chromo, solid pegs and the front is a lot longer so gives you some room to move as your learning and might not get good peg placement.

I would worry about changing the pedals or grips until you figure out what you like. I like thick soft grips where others like thin hard ones. I run metals pedals just because they have improved grip and last a long long time.

If I was you I'd get your bike and just ride it, replace things as they fail or will improve your riding.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.