New bike for my boys 6th B-day

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2014 8:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2014 8:45 PM

I got a great deal on a Kink Kicker for $ 255.04 for my 10 yr old"s B-day.

Photo

I ride it as much as him. We love it. (Thanks for the advice everyone.)

I want to get a new bike for my other boy's 6th B-day. He rides a16" Specialized Hotrocks now. I got it for $50 ($230 retail).

It's a little smaller than other 16" bikes, which was good for him. It's so light (aluminum frame) that he can do bunny hops, wheelies and jumps with it easily. He's much more into doing tricks and jumps than his brother.

I was going to get him a bigger 16" but I want to go straight to an 18" now. I know weight isn't the most important consideration for most of us but he's only 44 lbs. and 45" and a few lbs. can make a big difference in whipping it around off jumps and doing bunny hops.

I like the Cult 18" because the aluminum frame but I saw that the United 18" only weighs 23lbs, even though it's Hi-ten.

Weighing 44lbs. he isn't at high risk of breaking his frame, so hi-ten should be fine. I was worried about the weight of the bike but at 23 lbs. it's pretty light.

The cult is $379.95 but I can get the United (2013) for $277.46. It regularly goes for $369.95.

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4772

Most of the cromo frames weigh about the same and the price is great. It has all sealed bearings,(headset, bottom bracket, rear hub) except for the front hub, which is loose ball.

He can ride his 16" until he feels comfortable with the 18, then it's on to the 20" (if he's still into it).

Photo

Any alternate opinions for a good 18" at a competitive price?

|

1/23/2014 8:49 PM

the cult 18in is pretty good, united should be fine, the fit 18 should be fine, sunday primer 18 looks dope, pretty much everything looks fine in the 18 inch range, its up to color preference and then budget
good luck!

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/23/2014 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2014 9:31 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

the cult 18in is pretty good, united should be fine, the fit 18 should be fine, sunday primer 18 looks dope, pretty much everything looks fine in the 18 inch range, its up to color preference and then budget
good luck!

Thanks for the input.

|

1/23/2014 9:47 PM

Yeah, the cult is $379.99. Although it's the 2014.

It said the weight is TBA. Although I saw it listed on Dan's Comp @ 21 lb 0 oz . 6061 aluminum frame, unsealed front hub.

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6325

The fit is 22.5 lbs with CrMo 18” Front Triangle, sealed front and rear @ $379.99

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5998

The Sunday Primer with CrMo Dropouts, loose ball front and semi-sealed rear hubs, weight TBA, is $339.95

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6143

He likes the Blue color, although he knows it's about the specs not the look.

I just wonder if they beat the United @ $277.46?

|

1/23/2014 9:58 PM

|

1/23/2014 11:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2014 11:58 PM

I would say the Fit is probably the best for the money.
Sunday is 24.25 lbs if I remember right.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

1/24/2014 1:31 AM

Does fit males 18"inch bikes?

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/24/2014 5:36 AM

Pretty rad to see a dad supporting his kid riding! Since like you said he's not really at risk for breaking a frame, material doesn't matter. If I was choosing the next thing I'd focus on the bearings, you know, which one has the most sealed bearings haha

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

1/25/2014 6:04 PM

T-rider wrote:

Does fit males 18"inch bikes?

Yeah, Fit makes an 18".

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102345/2014_Fit_18_Bike.html

[LINK TO IMAGE]

It has a chromoly front triangle, a sealed front hub and, It weighs 22.5 lbs. Which is only 0.5 lbs less than the United.

It's good but is it worth over $100 more?

|

1/25/2014 7:36 PM

Thanks bmxfromma.

I've been into BMX my whole life and still ride today.

I agree about the material and bearings.

I think it's hard to beat the United for the price.

I could always use that $100 to trick it out later down the road.

I got my boys Racing bikes too but it's hard to get them to go to the track because they hate wearing full helmets and pads.

|

1/25/2014 8:04 PM

Get the Cult, its a good 3lbs less than the others pretty much.. which at his weight will be a big difference.. and at his weight there's no worry he's breaking the aluminum frame.

Those other 18" weight almost as much as 20" completes.

|

1/25/2014 8:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2014 8:25 PM

NervousXtian wrote:

Get the Cult, its a good 3lbs less than the others pretty much.. which at his weight will be a big difference.. and at his weight there's no worry he's breaking the aluminum frame.

Heres the question to ask. How many years is he going to be riding it? If hes gonna be on it till hes 10-11 I would look forward a little and not go for just the lightest but best bang for the buck without weighing too much. As in the fit only weighing 22.5 but is definitely stronger than the cult. Also the more sealed bearings the better.

If he gets into it alot the fit is definitely gonna be best.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

1/26/2014 1:58 PM

NervousXtian wrote:

I agree with you about the weight. It does make a big difference. He can throw his 16" aluminum frame bike around well now.

I'm just being cheap.

|

1/26/2014 2:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2014 8:01 PM

TheBrandonFranke:

I see what you're saying. He'll probably ride it for at least 3.5 more years.

As get gets bigger frame strength will take precedence over weight.

|

1/26/2014 2:28 PM

But don't you love him???

Just kidding.. I cheaped out and got my kid a Haro 18" off CL... it weighs a freaking ton though.. just waiting for him to grow into the 20" he has waiting for him.

Thought those Orange CULT's look pretty nice.. they got them in a shop in town and it's tempting.. but yeah.

|

1/26/2014 7:59 PM

NervousXtian wrote:

But don't you love him???

Just kidding.. I cheaped out and got my kid a Haro 18" off CL... it weighs a freaking ton though.. just waiting for him to grow into the 20" he has waiting for him.

Thought those Orange CULT's look pretty nice.. they got them in a shop in town and it's tempting.. but yeah.

Ha ha ha... Most of the time??? Maybe not 379.00 worth??? Nah. All the time, he's priceless.

I did the same thing with my 10 yr old when he was 6. I got him a Haro 18" tank. The good thing was that he was not as into it as his little brother.

I feel as though I redeemed myself with his Kink though. They both also have Redline racing bikes too.

My parents put up with me changing every component of my Schwinn Stingray, from the gooseneck/triple clamp, (yes that's what we called it back then) to the handle bars, seat, rims, sprockets.... The only thing left was the frame and I painted that.

I like the Cult. My son likes the Orange color scheme too but I'm trying to teach him that looks don't count as much as specs. Having said that, I pointed out that the United is Charger blue, our home team's color.

The guy at my local store that sells Cult says that many complain about the Cult's bottom Bracket.

It seems as though the Fit is the consensus for the overall best pick..

|