New complete bike ?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2017 8:58 AM

Ok , looking to pick up a new complete 20” in the 350-500 dollar range if possible , I’m new to bmx and at 41 been out awhile to say the least I bought a model c recently but would like a 20” as well, I’m 5’6” tall and weigh about 205 , I was looking at the Sunday forecaster but found it to be made with high ten which from what I understand is not good or are the Sunday/other name brand bikes an exception to this? Just looking for something I can ride around the neighborhood and eventually head to the skatepark in town , I don’t want to have to upgrade later unless something wears out, I’m not doing any big tricks jumps or drops either so I don’t need a 1000 complete , any help or suggestions on brands and models would be appreciated .

|

12/14/2017 9:26 AM

Look into Hoffman bikes

|

12/14/2017 9:39 AM

here is a good guideline to go by, regardless of the company or brand

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be welded double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

The Hoffman ('Bama, specifically) as eskimojay mentioned, is a great bike for the price. It fits all of the above items. It has some parts that are so-so, but they are going to wear down or break anyways. You replace them with good aftermarket parts, and you have a great bike...

also look at the Colony Endeavor..or maybe Inception now...for another decent bike for the price...

I got back into BMX at 45...after almost 30 years out, and it was definitely different for sure....geometry especially, and just the kind of riding. I still have and use my 88 Mongoose Californian Pro, but it is a race bike, not really a freestyle so it ihas been interesting to ride the way I do now...and it is too small for me for sure. I am saving up for a bike, a Verde Luxe specifically, but might go with one of the other bikes mentioned above if I get tired of waiting for funds to collect....

be patient, don't comprimise the skeletal frame structure and you will end up with a bike tha tis fun to ride for a long time

other companies to check out:
Verde
WeThePeople
Sunday
Colony
Eastern
Kink

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/14/2017 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 10:22 AM

At that price point, you'll have a lot of options. But, like everyone said, stick to full Chromoly structure components... Frame, fork, cranks, bars. At that price, you should easily be able to find sealed bearings all around & double wall rims. Don't get caught up in the brand names. Not saying there's anything wrong with them but a lot of times you pay more because of the name. For instance, you can get a complete FIT bike for $399, but at that price they spec them with single wall rims. Not bad, but not optimum. Whereas, Hoffman, Eastern, & a few others will include double wall rims at that price.

Lastly, pay attention to TT length & other geometry as it applies to the type of riding you see yourself doing. At your height, I'd say you are somewhere around a 20.25" - 20.75" TT length. But that is just a ballpark and is subjective.

|

12/14/2017 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 12:56 PM

Wtp makes spme high quality bikes around that price range.

Not saying this is the best price or the best place to get it from. Just an example.

https://www.acebmx.com/wtp-bmx-c-3_439/wethepeople-reason-20-complete-bmx-bike-2018-p-12661.html

|

12/14/2017 6:49 PM

Honestly for bmx on a budget or just trying different specs. Stolenbmx is a decent brand. They offered full cromo frame on a budget complete before anyone else was

|

12/15/2017 6:47 PM

first off thank you for al the info and suggestions it is greatly appreciated, it looks like the hoffman bama ticks off most of the boxes and it is a decent price so that looks to be what im going to go with i just can't seem to find a dealer or online seller who has any in stock any suggestions on where to pick one up?

if the bama does not pan out what do you guys think about the fit hango ?

|

12/15/2017 6:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2017 7:01 PM

The Hango is great for a beginner, on par with the Bama. Also a great choice in that range is the Kink Liberty.

|

12/17/2017 9:13 AM

Just got a KINK liberty, very impressed with the bike quality, I'd recommend it, also since your 5"6, you could get away with the KINK whip, it's a 20.5 tt instead of the longer liberty of 20.85. Jr cycles bmx superstore, yes10 is the promo code and they have free shipping, I got mine the next day

|

12/17/2017 9:22 AM

05kas05 wrote:

first off thank you for al the info and suggestions it is greatly appreciated, it looks like the hoffman bama ticks off most ...more

I'm sure the Fit Hango would be fine, BUT, like I said before, at that price range, they do not include double wall rims. They may not be necessary at this stage but I believe in going for longevity if at all possible. To that end, the Kink bikes in this price range include double wall rims & the same specs as the others. Other kink bikes in that range would also be comparable. There's also eastern and a few other companies you should look at.

|

12/17/2017 10:13 AM

Check out the Framed Witness or the Eastern line of bikes

https://www.the-house.com/bmx-bikes.html?nocache=1&refine.size=20

|

12/17/2017 11:26 AM

i have been checking out the eastern bikes as suggested , im liking the 2017 eastern shovelhead it seems to have everything you guys have suggested unless i am missing something, its on sale so the price looks good but that don't mean much if there are parts that will need to be upgraded right off the bat. any thoughts ?

guys im sorry to keep bugging you i don't want you guys to feel like i want you to go buy the bike for me that definitely is not the case and i know you get tired of the same topics over and over. i just want to get something that will hold up as Mishinn_Control said so im going back and forth looking at specs it is rather mind boggling to be honest which is why i really appreciate the help. i am trying to research and learn as i go so i don't have to keep asking the newb questions over and over so please bare with me.

|

12/17/2017 11:55 AM

Dont worry about it man, thats what these forums are for.

|

12/17/2017 12:23 PM

You can't ever be too careful buying a complete because if it isn't what you want spec wise then you will end up dumping more money in it to make it what you want and at that point a custom bike is better

|

12/17/2017 2:04 PM

Just make sure it has a sealed Mid Bottom Bracket. That it has a sealed integrated headset, and twin wall rims, and a chromoly frame and fork.

|

12/17/2017 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 10:54 AM

05kas05 wrote:

i have been checking out the eastern bikes as suggested , im liking the 2017 eastern shovelhead it seems to have everything ...more

I bought the Eastern Shovelhead earlier this year & couldn't be more impressed. The welds were all uniform & solid. Their parts list is fairly impressive in that their brakes (calipers and levers), stem, etc, are all forged aluminum. The cranks are 48 spline with heat treated crank arms. I ordered mine @ $399 delivered & got it in under 24 hours at my door.

|

12/18/2017 10:49 AM

Well I just want to say thanks again for the help, I ordered a 2018 Shovelhead this morning so hopefully I can be riding by this weekend . I’ll post a pic or two once I get it together .

|

12/18/2017 10:53 AM

05kas05 wrote:

Well I just want to say thanks again for the help, I ordered a 2018 Shovelhead this morning so hopefully I can be riding by ...more

Congrats! & yes, please do post pics when you get it assembled!

|

12/21/2017 8:11 AM

Photo

Photo

well here it is all put together but I'm sad to say that it is already gone
it seems my nephew liked it a whole lot more than i did so i let him take it as an early christmas present
i'll have to stick with my model c for now, all is not lost though he said if we ride together he would let me ride it a little.
|

12/21/2017 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 3:24 PM

05kas05 wrote: Photo

Photo

well here it is all put together but I'm sad to say that it is already gone
it seems my nephew liked it a whole lot more ...more

Wow... That's beautiful! & what a great gesture! No one can say you aren't the best uncle ever!

|