New complete kink launch

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2017 3:49 AM

So im buying a complete bike and am wondering what thoughts are about them. Im planning on getting better rims and other parts for it. Ive had an eastern, a fit and a united but never had a kink. This is my first bike in almost 4 years and wanted to jump back in. Im also wondering what the difference between odyssey r25 and r32 forks. Thank you for the help and opinions.

|

6/5/2017 6:26 AM

difference between the 32's and 25's is the offset, aka how far the wheel sticks out from the fork. shorter = generally easier to get up into nose manuals. Kink launch is meh, look for something with full chromoly frame, bars, fork and double walled rims, sealed bearings. That's what you want in a complete. Hoffman Bama is a better bike, if you like kink this would be the one to get:
https://www.danscomp.com/products/102909/2018_Kink_Downside_Bike.html
more money but it has the parts you want, if you get the cheaper launch you will probably spend the difference anyway buying better rims, etc. and then you will still just have a hi-ten frame. better off buying a 100% crmo frame bike.

|

6/5/2017 8:01 AM

I have a question.

If you are going to upgrade parts, why are you buying a complete? You can get a very good bike for the cost of a mid level complete if you get say a close out or scratch and dent frame from Dans. Then get a parts kit, they even come with forks. Stolen and United I know have a build kit. And any parts off your current bike. If it isn't broken just give it a cleaning and sand it, hit it with a couple coats of paint and use them too.

I only say that because you listed 3-4 bikes. In 3 bikes I would have sold the parts I didn't want or need and upgraded everything I could on a complete. Then I would have saved up for a good frame. After that, replace parts if they break. From what you said you have 2 bikes laying around that you can get $200+ each for.

|

6/5/2017 8:21 AM

Because i was able to put it on layaway at a local shop. I cant afford to drop alot of cash at once. So i figure this way i can still have the bike to ride and upgrade parts when i can

|

6/5/2017 8:24 AM

Im almost 30 and havnt had a bike in a few years and wanted to get another one. I have no parts at all

|

6/6/2017 4:01 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

I have a question.

If you are going to upgrade parts, why are you buying a complete? You can get a very good bike for the ...more

I had and sold those bikes

|

6/6/2017 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2017 6:11 AM

So did you already buy the bike? If not you should really take the advice that was given. Or don't and learn the hard way, but don't say we didn't tell you so. Aftermarket parts are always the way to go, especially if you buy used, because you can use them yourself, then sell them for about the same price you got it for. Stock parts are not very good, and no one will really buy them either. Used custom is always the better choice. trust me you will be so much happier. Just save a few paychecks. Don't be so impatient. It's only $3-500.
One more piece of advice. It's completely pointless to buy something first, and then ask if it's a good buy. The other way around works better. We don't mind helping but these same questions get old.

|

6/6/2017 6:25 AM

I just joined this so how the fuck am i supposed to kno wat questions are asked. I browsed real quick to find a similar thread but couldnt. I understand stock parts r crap but y buy a bike someone else built? I wanna build my own. I want to ride before summer is over and im by no means a pro rider so y do i need a $500 frame. Pretty much i need a starter bike

|

6/6/2017 9:50 AM

scott88 wrote:

I just joined this so how the fuck am i supposed to kno wat questions are asked. I browsed real quick to find a similar thread ...more

...but, if you plan on getting any better, you will quickly outgrow what your "starter" frame can handle, and then drop more money - which it sounds like you don't have (like me) - on a frame better suited to your growing abilities. What we are saying is to hold out, and buy a bike set up that will allow you to grow ability wise for a long time. unless you don't plan on not getting better, or are just using it for a cruiser.

I don't ever plan on becoming a pro rider, but I also don't want to continually dump money into a bike and parts that will not stand up to the abuse of practice, so I am saving for a stronger bike. I would rather drop $500 once on a well built and stronger bike/set up, than $300 10 times...thinking that I am "saving money" buy buying cheaper bikes and parts, but doing it multiple times. I feel like us non-pro riders need better bikes anyways since we abuse them more in our pursuit of the next level....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/6/2017 11:47 AM

I already bought it. Thats the part that sucks. I found this forum while searching for parts on google and thats y i joined.

|

6/6/2017 12:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2017 12:48 PM

Buy cheep, buy twice. It's just a better investment to buy aftermarket, like I said with the resale value and all. Next time your thinking of buying a part just ask us first. It's just frustrating answering the same questions every other day. I actually just started riding again after like 10+ years off. About 10 months ago I bought a complete frame to build up, luckily I built it up with all aftermarket parts. After about a handful of rides on that frame, and denting tubes(fit benny 3 btw) I knew a stock frame wouldn't cut it. I was progressing too fast for that frame, and was actually getting scared I might break it. I'm now riding a volume mystery machine frame, and love it so much better than my fit. I just feel safer on it. You will figure this out once you start to learn tricks, talk to other riders around town, and on here. Sorry I come off as a dick sometimes. Get used to it though, lots of assholes on the internet. I don't discriminate. I hate everyone equally. Don't take it personal.

|