New frame has diff bottom bracket than old frame

Related:
Create New Tag

12/22/2016 3:07 PM

Just got my new frame that uses a mid as opposed to my old frame that was american. Do I just need to buy a mid bb kit and I'll be good to go? Don't wanna buy the kit just to realize I should have ordered cranks too or something. Also any recommendation on a kit? Thanks.

|

12/22/2016 3:47 PM

Just pop the bearings out of the cups for the American BB and the press them into the new frame.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/23/2016 9:18 AM

That depends on if the bearings in the American are sealed (they most likely aren't, the only frames I ever see with sealed American are the well-made aftermarket from like 2001). Order a Mid BB kid from Empire or something, they aren't too pricy.

|

12/23/2016 9:45 AM

Remember to measure your axle diameter too, chances are it's 19mm. So you'd need a 19mm mid bb.

The mid was designed (by fbm i might add) by taking profile bearings from the cups and making a shell they'd press fit into. Not all American bb's use the same outside diameter bearing. Primo bb's didn't fit mid frames

|

12/23/2016 10:09 AM

The bearings I have are unsealed. I'll measure the axle and order a kit. Thanks guys.

|

12/23/2016 10:49 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

That depends on if the bearings in the American are sealed (they most likely aren't, the only frames I ever see with sealed ...more

This is true, I am thinking back to when I started and just assumed sealed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/23/2016 1:14 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Remember to measure your axle diameter too, chances are it's 19mm. So you'd need a 19mm mid bb.

The mid was designed (by fbm ...more

I'd like to add mid 22 fits in American BB cups if anyone needs cheap bearing replacement.

|

12/25/2016 4:24 PM

post a picture the cranks and the crank spindle with the crank arm detached. we can probably tell you what size they are

|

wallride a bus everyday

12/25/2016 5:27 PM

You will at least need a new spindle, and new cranks depending on the spindle and BB size you choose.

|