New front wheel...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2014 2:24 AM

So some of you may know, I hate my front wheel with a passion. Dont get me wrong, it runs great, and always has, its just the BIGGEST bitch to do maintenance on. So I'm planning to build up a relatively cheap front wheel, but i aint gunna get something shit just because its cheap. I want a reasonably priced, no thrills, put up with normal - rough abuse wheel. But i need the full package, rim spokes and hub, and it needs to have compatible hub guards that i can get at a later date. First off, what rims do people have experience with that the tyre goes on easy? Is the mutant bikes storm rim any good? same question but the primo balance? feel free to throw out some suggestions. Needs to be in the UK, and i need to keep it under £100 in total (shouldnt be that hard.)
Don't just put shit like 'G-sport be the last wheel you ever buy bro!! if you dont you stupiiiiid' because I dont want to spend like £150+ on a wheel that im not gunna put to use. I just wont reply to you if you suggest stupid things..........

Thanks guys!

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

5/11/2014 2:28 AM

I know people with Primo Rims and they hold up very well, and I haven't heard bad reviews about them. I'm not sure how easy it is to get tyres off of them or not though.

|

5/11/2014 2:36 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

I know people with Primo Rims and they hold up very well, and I haven't heard bad reviews about them. I'm not sure how easy it ...more

I did have one on the back for a bit, and that seemed alright, but i only rode winter with it, so i didnt really get THAT much use out of it haha. thanks for the input!

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

5/11/2014 3:25 AM

Odyssey Hazard Lite is beast and relatively cheap (here you can get one for around 50e) I rode one front for a while. Primos are also good.
As for hub go with BSD. beast hubs and not over priced.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/11/2014 4:48 AM

THe bsd front hub is 46euro in evanscycle with the code that takes off 7.5euro. I have heard that the cinema vx front hub is pretty nice too, for 42euro in orange. Depending on the size of the spokes, you can get them for 11.5 to 18 euro. As for rims, you can get a eclat jaw for 65 euro, with the code, or a primo vs 7005 for 56euro. That is less than 100pounds. And would be in my opinion a really nice front wheel. But to get that prices you would have to order 2 times.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/11/2014 5:09 AM

The primo balance is an amazing rim, light and pretty dam strong, still no where as close to the strength of the primo hula hoop rim though.
if you could maybe go for a custom wheel though and don't use the primo hubs. Great design but the bearings aren't as much.
as for spokes, any old one will do
hope i helped a little

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/11/2014 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2014 5:14 AM

Source bmx will build you a bsd frontstreet laced to a cinima 777 for £120.

I'm using this wheel at the minute and there's nothing wrong with it at all, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a legit budget custom wheel setup. Its light aswell plus the Bsd Hub guards are decent too.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

5/11/2014 5:53 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Source bmx will build you a bsd frontstreet laced to a cinima 777 for 120.

I'm using this wheel at the minute and there's ...more

No offense, but no point on getting that being dable to.get for example a bsd to eclat jaw for lesS than 100£ in evanscycles.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/11/2014 8:09 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Don't trust source to build my wheels, the last one they made it so the valve is in the middle of a set of 4 spokes, so its a cunt to get a pump on.
@jamiespadina - I'm gettin it custom, not a complete wheel. And I have to disagree with the bearings point, the bearing in my n4fl are 2 years old and roll perfectly.

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

5/11/2014 8:26 AM

Alienation deviants and as a complete wheel it's called the ultralite and it comes with a tinman hub which has 4 sealed bearings and hollow female bolts. I run a deviant on the back and it's been great and before that the same rim was on another back wheel for over a year and its been ridden pretty hard the whole time, the person i got the rim from bought another set of deviants too. what im saying is though, you could get a deviant as a complete wheel and itll be great and super light or just get any female sealed cheap hub with it and some 186mm spokes and thatd come to just over 100$ cdn

|

5/11/2014 8:31 AM

sunny.noble wrote:

Alienation deviants and as a complete wheel it's called the ultralite and it comes with a tinman hub which has 4 sealed ...more

hollow bolts? no thanks, ill keep to solid.I may not be the hardest rider, but i like to know that my bike will shrug off whatever i throw at it. and the fact that it matters that its light tells me straight away, that aint the wheel for me :/ thanks for the input anyway dude!

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

5/11/2014 8:50 AM

Cimema front wheels.

|

5/11/2014 9:40 AM

I thought that the deviant rim was the paper thin light as fuck rim.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/11/2014 11:32 AM

Mission Stalwart front hub is piss cheap.
15mm crmo axle, 3/8" crmo bolts, 6902 bearings, etc. DG front guards will work on this aswell as a handful of other guards.

A cheap rim thats good? Ehh. I wouldn't cheap out on a rim. Try to find something on sale. Double wall, welded seem, etc.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/11/2014 7:40 PM

Hazard to vandero
Hazard to bulima v2
hazard to stolen flip.
hazard to mission stalwart.

Best bet.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/11/2014 8:08 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Don't trust source to build my wheels, the last one they made it so the valve is in the middle of a set of 4 spokes, so its a ...more

Really? Thats pretty good, I might have gotten an off batch or something. And why don't you keep that hub and get new rim and spokes and lace it your self? will save you a bit and will allow you to go for a much better rim than you may be budgeted to. Just a suggestion though

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/11/2014 9:52 PM

BSD's front hub is pretty much the best valued front hub you can get. I really like my friend's BSD hub. Spun really smooth under load.

For spokes, just get whatever, but don't get any of the shitty forged spokes like Primo, Shadow, etc. Otherwise it won't really matter if you're not wanting a super high end wheel.

For rims, I'd go Sunday Thunder if you can get them. Essentially a more modern, tougher and lighter version of the Hazard Lite. Otherwise, I'd stick with the trusted Hazard Lite. I wouldn't get Primo rims. Most positive things I hear about them is that they're nothing really special haha.

|

5/12/2014 12:43 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Don't trust source to build my wheels, the last one they made it so the valve is in the middle of a set of 4 spokes, so its a ...more

jamiespadina wrote:

Really? Thats pretty good, I might have gotten an off batch or something. And why don't you keep that hub and get new rim and ...more

I am lacing this myself. I dont wanna keep the hub though because I don't like it. The fact it has no flanges means if you break a spoke, you have to remove the wheel to replace / remove it. I've heard of people bolts strippin, and mine are seriously fucked. Most of the time I try tighten.it and it spins the hub. And the hub guards deform because they're alloy, meaning they get jammed on with no easy way to remove them.
@tim - that's what I meant, a good deal on a rim, like the primo one I found, the colour a want, 7005 alloy, double walled, welded, and a steal at £25 which is like 1/2 price

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit