New guy, new bike search...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2013 7:55 PM

I'm in the market for a new bike. I raced BMX for 2 seasons when I was 11-12, and I basically lived on my bike until I was able to drive. I haven't touched a bike in 15 years (I'm 31). I've been on a big health and fitness kick this year. I've lost 32 lbs, and I feel better than ever. I'm ready to ride again.

I'm still a bit up-in-the-air on which type of bike I want. If I get a race bike, it'll probably be Redline or SE, but I'm lost when it comes to all the new street/park bikes out there.

I want a 100% chromoly frame, for sure, and the 2013 Kink Whip and Barrier seem to be the best deal. Is there anything I'm missing, or anything else you would recommend? I'm wanting to stay in the $300-400 range. I plan on adding gyro/detangler, and that's it.

The search for a new bike is a bit overwhelming. There are so many new bike companies out now. When I was a kid, Redline, GT, Mongoose, and Diamondback were the big name, reputable companies.

|

6/6/2013 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2013 8:03 PM

|

Boldly going nowhere.

BIKE CHECK.

6/6/2013 8:43 PM

Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

|

6/6/2013 9:29 PM

When I got back into BMX bikes, I did some research, lurked a little, but never came on and asked anyone what the best bang for my buck would be. I just used what I knew from the 80's and called my local bike shop. $1,200 later, I had a brand new Redline Column. It just didn't feel right to me. So, over the next few months, I built myself a completely different bike, but with Redlines latest and greatest G7 frame, and I love my bike. I just wish I had done what you did first, haha. There are a good number of bikes that are decent out there. My honest advice is to stalk Craigslist for a gently used custom. There are a lot of them. Moms get scared and make the kids sell them, or the kids beg mommy for a sweet custom from Dans "like billy has" and get mad when they still can't hop a curb.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

6/7/2013 1:49 AM

go fora used custom, youll save a ton... or go for somethingoff of veinbmx.com
they got the best bang for the buck on completes

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/7/2013 1:53 AM

I stopped riding aged 19 and didn't start again til last year when I was 30, best decision I ever made.
If your dead set on something new get a wethepeople complete they are hard as nails, but like sketchy says just get a 2nd hand custom you'll save cash on upgrades in the long run.

Welcome back dude, check my sig if you ever get the urge to leave this great community again.

Peace bro

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/16/2013 11:53 AM

UPDATE:

I ended up ordering a 2013 Kink Barrier, and picking up a 1998 Redline Proline off craigslist this past week.

I put a standard Odyssey G3 gyro on the Kink last night...that was interesting, but it's all good.

The Redline will be a fun project. I only paid $80 for it. I took it apart to clean and polish everything. The anodizing on the frame has seen better days. I may strip it, and either have it anodized or paint/powder coat it.

Anyway, I'm ready to ride now!

|