New here, an introduction and a question.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2013 8:03 PM

Hi guys! My name is Dave Escobar and I just created an account for our shop The Bicycle Source, located here in Anaheim, CA. Not sure if you all are familiar with the shop, we are an all BMX shop with an indoor 3/4 bowl and ramp setup as well as some new Yawn BMX street obstacles that my friends and I just built. We do our best to focus on competitive pricing, customer service, and knowledge of our product offerings. The owner Steve Blackie has been deep in the bmx scene since the early 80s and runs the place with his wife, so you know you're really supporting a literal mom & pop bmx shop with real roots in the sport. I ride bmx as well of course and have been obsessed with it for about 15 years now.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and also reach out to all you here at Vital and ask a pretty open-ended question that will help us and our local bmx community:
What are the attributes of your favorite bike shop?
I love hearing about what makes the rider's experience at bike shops either a good one or a bad one. We are always looking for ways to improve the bmx community and help riders out, so the best way is to just ask directly.

|

The Bicycle Source
118 S Loara St
Anaheim, CA 92802
(714) 533-2453
www.thebicyclesource.com

8/21/2013 8:55 PM

ACTUAL knowledge about bikes and parts and shit. Biggest pet peeve: kid pays $40 for the shop to fix or tune his bike, leaves it with them for a week. the bike still rattles and shit. at the skatepark me and my friend fix the bike completely for free, in 5-30 mins depending on the problem. most bike shops have become a ripoff, i just do everything myself now. theres one of these ripoff bike shops down the street from me. id rather ride 5 miles of hills and crap to get my parts from the one bike shop i trust.

point is i love it when actual bmx shops exist, so long as they dont turn into generic ripoff shops.

|

Insta: @devicacy

8/21/2013 9:08 PM

Yeah being trustworthy and knowledgable is a really important thing. Also, keeping a decently fresh inventory. I know it is hard to try to stock too much because you can't sell everything by try to give kids some options. My local bmx doesn't always have exactly what I am looking for but If they can come close I'll buy from them anyway because fuck dans comp.. Don't underestimate how far being cool to parents can be as well as window shoppers never know when someone's gonna get some birthday money.

Lil things like free stickers and lil local contests or demos or even a fucking BBQ can go a long way into making you the cool fun shop that people wanna go to. Find out what's super popular in your local scene and cater to those kids. They are your main clientele.

Oh and good luck! Hope business goes really well!

Support local BMX

|

8/21/2013 9:17 PM

Albes

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

8/21/2013 10:06 PM

man i like a helpful chilled shop who know what their doing and supports the local bmx scene unfortunately i dont live near one of those shops also idk if other shops have this but the one i live near doesnt its cool having the little things like extra sealed bearings for headsets since they are all mostly the same size and bolts for stems and cranks as an example lets say i stripped my bolt on one of my cranks it would be super awesome if i could walk into your shop and buy a new one just like that or even get you guys to order me a replacement the shop i live near doesnt do this shit i broke one of my sealed bearings in my headset and ended up having to buy a new one since the apparently they didn't have my size bearings and would have to order them that was the last thing i bought from that shop and i dont plan on going back for anything all they care about is making a sale

|

Last words?
Just have fun on your bike.
- Jeremiah Smith

8/21/2013 10:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2013 10:34 PM

Ride a bike off the roof with Z-rims, on a PK Ripper!

|

8/21/2013 10:35 PM

Photo

I have the magazine that this gif came from.... (and I subscribed to it at the time)
|

8/21/2013 10:37 PM

I like shops that you can just show up to talk about bikes, and not even buy things, and they wont care.

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/21/2013 10:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2013 11:02 PM

I like shops that stock a quality selection at a fair price. The shops here where I am suck. Poor selection and overpriced. A good, knowledgable mechanic is a must. I've been ordering my parts online because I can get exactly what I need without hassle and they price match too. Last time I brought my bike to a shop they didn't use a rag when they clamped the bike to the work stand. It left a noticeable scratch. Not a big deal but it's little things like that. I wish there was a BMX specific shop in my area.

|

8/21/2013 11:08 PM

All the shops I go to are popular in their area. They never rip you off, overcharge, or all that BS. It's straight up, they can discount depending on what you want and try to match the price as best as possible to Danscomp. They let me try stuff on the spot and have a 30-day return policy if I've still got the receipt and the stuff isn't scratched and all.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/21/2013 11:19 PM

jupiter_mars wrote:

I like shops that stock a quality selection at a fair price. The shops here where I am suck. Poor selection and overpriced. A good, knowledgable mechanic is a must. I've been ordering my parts online because I can get exactly what I need without hassle and they price match too. Last time I brought my bike to a shop they didn't use a rag when they clamped the bike to the work stand. It left a noticeable scratch. Not a big deal but it's little things like that. I wish there was a BMX specific shop in my area.

Where I live, the only shop is maintained by Roadies, and when it comes to BMX, they really don't know shit.
I tried to get them to put on a chain, and the guy brought out a 3/32 chain, and told me that I had a weird custom chain.
I don't support my LBS.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/22/2013 4:43 AM

the bicycle source is my local bike shop and its pretty sick. havi and chris help me out lots of times when there is something wrong with my bike. Some things that i would like in a bike shop would be to have as many brands as possible because all the parts i want are from a lot of different brands.

|

8/22/2013 6:33 AM

My local shop isn't the best. Case in point... i took my mountain bike in to get new tubes and tires and the back rim was bent. We agreed that they would straighten the back rim and tubes and tires.. had it for about 5 days.. they never called once and told me it was done. When i arrived my bike had a brand new rim! I told the owner i didn't agree to a new rim etc... he told me the old one was to warped to fix... when he stood there not 5 days ago and told me that would be an easy fix. Instead of it being w $50 job, turned into $200 job. Idk about y'all but when someone works on anything and they have to replace something major like that, they will call and let you know whats going on and so forth.. he failed to do any of that. It's like taking a car in for a oil change and going to pick it up and finding out they replaced the engine... he is a nice guy.. but he deals with alot of rich retired folk who ride $10,000 road bikes... i work on all my own stuff.. because the nearest shop is in Oklahoma City. And i have yet to find a respectable shop there.

|

*Refs* from, robinson79, obiwan chromoly, SuperstarDK, TCbmx., ScramHype.

I build bikes... I don't ride hard core anymore I just ride.

To get ahold of me easier text me, 405-567-57zero2

8/22/2013 8:07 AM

bmxtru13 wrote:

My local shop isn't the best. Case in point... i took my mountain bike in to get new tubes and tires and the back rim was bent. We agreed that they would straighten the back rim and tubes and tires.. had it for about 5 days.. they never called once and told me it was done. When i arrived my bike had a brand new rim! I told the owner i didn't agree to a new rim etc... he told me the old one was to warped to fix... when he stood there not 5 days ago and told me that would be an easy fix. Instead of it being w $50 job, turned into $200 job. Idk about y'all but when someone works on anything and they have to replace something major like that, they will call and let you know whats going on and so forth.. he failed to do any of that. It's like taking a car in for a oil change and going to pick it up and finding out they replaced the engine... he is a nice guy.. but he deals with alot of rich retired folk who ride $10,000 road bikes... i work on all my own stuff.. because the nearest shop is in Oklahoma City. And i have yet to find a respectable shop there.

I would punch someone in the dick for that. Not even exaggerating or being tough. That literally would piss me off beyond all control.

|

8/22/2013 9:10 AM

bmxtru13 wrote:

trainwrex wrote:

I would punch someone in the dick for that. Not even exaggerating or being tough. That literally would piss me off beyond all control.

I almost did. I told him you will take that rim off my bike and puta used one on. He did just that, and charged me $70. I mean what kind of place doesn't at least call before they do something to a bike/vehicle??? I was furious. So say the least.

|

*Refs* from, robinson79, obiwan chromoly, SuperstarDK, TCbmx., ScramHype.

I build bikes... I don't ride hard core anymore I just ride.

To get ahold of me easier text me, 405-567-57zero2

8/22/2013 11:10 AM

a good LBS would be a place to chill at and have fun at. They should have all the good stuff that you need and be the basis of the riding scene in the town.

|

Bruh

8/22/2013 11:11 AM

Everybody gets one........

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

8/22/2013 11:13 AM

a GT?

|

Bruh

8/22/2013 11:17 AM

Free ad in the forums.tongue

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

8/22/2013 11:19 AM

bloghogs wrote:

Adblock plus! MUAHAHAHAH ^.^

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/22/2013 12:37 PM

Knowledge.. O.K I pretty much know everything there is to know about modern BMX, BUT... It really annoys me when a shop has no idea what they are talking about OR they try & act like they do. I have had arguments in the past with my friends local shop who set his bike up. What they did was terrible. I was shocked that a bike shop calling themselves a BMX shop could do the sort of things they did! So know what you're talking about, If you don't know about certain things study up, its not hard we have the internet now. You can find everything on here lol..

Attitude..Don't act like you know everything in a cocky way.. Obviously you need to be confident & come across as if you do know what you are talking about because when you do, people who aren't as clued up on BMX will feel comfortable & trust you. Also, you need to be willing to put up with people who are constantly changing their minds. What about this part? Ok i'll have that! No actually what about this part? I think i might have that instead. Basically you have to have the patience of a saint!

Good General Vibe.. If people come into your shop, make them feel welcome! Get to know your customers, know what they like, You might even make more sales! Hey *insert customer name* we just got this new part in, i thought of you when i saw it, what do you think? etc etc etc. Maybe have somewhere to sit & chill, have a TV with BMX DVDs on, Have DVD nights/Premieres etc. Also, I think you should allow people to use your tools. Depending on what they do you could apply a small charge. I would watch over them like a hawk also just in case they are doing something wrong, fucking up your tools or even trying to steal them.

Anyway, good luck! It takes serious commitment to open a BMX shop. One day i would love my own BMX Shop! One day haha.

|

8/22/2013 5:35 PM

bmxtru13 wrote:

I hate hearing about these types of scenarios where riders get cornered into having to pay more than they expected. Whenever a bill for a bike in repair starts to stack up beyond our projected cost we always call the owner and run over whatever options we can figure out so they don't have to pay a lot. I never forget that I once was that random 14 year old kid with hardly any money asking tons of questions.
The beautiful thing about bmx bikes is that they don't have nearly as many surprises as geared bikes with lots of crazy extras. So problems like what you are describing almost always have an easy to figure out solution.

|

The Bicycle Source
118 S Loara St
Anaheim, CA 92802
(714) 533-2453
www.thebicyclesource.com

8/22/2013 5:39 PM

bloghogs wrote:

hahaha guilty as charged. I wanted to simply abide by the forum guidelines by starting off with a small introduction, but thanks to being overly passionate about managing this shop I ended up on a salesman rant. Definitely not going to be a habit on here, just wanna make sure our shop stays connected to the grand scheme of bmx.

|

The Bicycle Source
118 S Loara St
Anaheim, CA 92802
(714) 533-2453
www.thebicyclesource.com