New hub idea

Related:
Create New Tag

4/15/2014 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2014 11:30 AM

I don't know if there is already a hub like this or not, but I was thinking that you could have a hub with a driver guard (like a sprocket guard), and a built in hub guard. Photo

There would be space in between the guard and the flanges, so you could still slide spokes in there. You also wouldn't have to worry about a drive-side hub guard for oppo grinds.

No more searching for guards that are compatible with your hub

This sounds like a job for...
DA dada DA!!!!!!!!!!!!

ODYSSEY!!!!

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

4/15/2014 11:46 AM

You mean like a Primo N4FL or a Daily Grind Front Hub?

|

4/15/2014 11:50 AM

Similar, but for the back wheel.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

4/15/2014 11:58 AM

The problem is, for most hubs people struggle not to find a guard that fits it but one that they like (Material, thickness etc.) so an integrated guard would limit choice.

|

4/15/2014 12:01 PM

Plus you'd have to replace the hub instead of just a guard. Makes zero sense which is why nobody has done it yet.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

4/15/2014 12:10 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Plus you'd have to replace the hub instead of just a guard. Makes zero sense which is why nobody has done it yet.

*facepalm.

The hub you have wont last forever. Eventually you'd have to buy a new hub. This could be your next hub. You don't just buy new grips as soon as they come out when the grips you have are fine.

And it's not just the built in hub guard that's cool on this baby. The guard on the driver would be useful when you want to try oppo grinds and you keep landing on the driver. That was my main intention on the design of this hub.

|

4/15/2014 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2014 12:12 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

The problem is, for most hubs people struggle not to find a guard that fits it but one that they like (Material, thickness ...more

True. You do have a point. I didn't even think of that.

|

4/15/2014 12:16 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

*facepalm.

The hub you have wont last forever. Eventually you'd have to buy a new hub. This could be your next hub. You ...more

I think he meant if the guard bends/wears out/snaps.

|

4/15/2014 12:17 PM

Shortdude wrote:

*facepalm.

The hub you have wont last forever. Eventually you'd have to buy a new hub. This could be your next hub. You ...more

$10 grips vs $160 hub...........If a person now has to replace their hub guard every other month you're telling me they'd want to spend $150+ every other month for a whole hub just because it built onto it? Makes zero sense

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

4/15/2014 12:18 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

*facepalm.

>Eventually you'd have to buy a new hub.

Not if you keep your shit maintained, I've seen people keep hubs for years. My friend's is coming up on its 6th or 7th years with no problems, I doubt some shitty aluminum guard will last that long. It's not a bad idea, just impractical.

Also considering some hubs already have guards like that that replace the hardware & take up no extra room in the rear such as the Shadow BTR, it's technically already been done.

|

4/15/2014 12:24 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

*facepalm.

BMX_Forever wrote:

I think he meant if the guard bends/wears out/snaps.

Ok. That makes sense, and that WOULD be a disadvantage.

New idea. Fuck the integrated hubguard. We'll just have the driver guard.
Photo

|

4/15/2014 12:51 PM

If its integrated into the hub shell, what happens when you grind through or it collapses or otherwise fails? There's nothing wrong with hub guards if they're done properly. Many great guards are universal. Sure, they won't work as well as specific guards but they still work fine.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

4/15/2014 12:55 PM

Well, you can replace your driver. You don't have to get a whole new hub. And, you can make aluminum and chromoly options.

The disadvantages that I see are...

- chain clearance
- frame clearance
- direct driver stress

|

4/15/2014 1:57 PM

I honestly dont see it. Hub gards work fine.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/15/2014 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2014 2:49 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

*facepalm.

Ricked_Em wrote:

$10 grips vs $160 hub...........If a person now has to replace their hub guard every other month you're telling me they'd want ...more

Unless the guard is connected as a piece of the driver, you could remove it. I would set it up to replace the drive side cone/lock nut. That way you can remove it if need be/replace it, and make it out of chromoly. Then it is durable. IF it needed replacement, you could without the need of a new hub. Also would not put musch more stress on the driver, as it would touch the bearing inner race ONLY, similar to the thread on style non-drive ones.

Based on the additional drawn on line, I would say that is what he was thinking?

This would potentialy alleviate the spreading frame issue so many have with dual rear guards.

Honestly I'd say you're on to something here...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/15/2014 3:06 PM

Integrated into the hubshell, defeats the purpose of even having a hubguard (to protect the hub) because now youll be beating directly onto the hubshell. Not to mention it would have to be an aluminum guard. Aluminum guards blow.

Integrated into the driver, still defeats the purpose of having a guard. Now youre beating directly onto the driver (which generally has thin bearings.)

All I see from this idea after a 6month period of time for someone learning to grind or someone who grinds alot is- a cracked/dented in hubshell, blown driver bearings, and a "driver guard" dented into the chainm

Plus, replacing your "DSG"(?) would require replacing the entire driver ($50+) and replacing your normal guard would require a new hubshell/hub ($100+). Most rear guards are only $20-25 and DSG's $25-30.

In the end, youre spending MORE for a weaker design.

The better thing to do is make more pop-on guards like the Primo and Eastern and then more Press-fit guards for us FA guys. Solves all the problems that the average universal guard MIGHT have for the same, cheap, price.

Youre just thinking too much homie haha. I like the idea though.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx