New old guy just starting off

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2020 2:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2020 2:05 AM

Hi everyone I’m looking at getting into building up bikes from back when I was racing in the 80s.
But want to get a starter bike to see how I go first.
I have seen this and can’t find much info on it if anyone can help would be great and what would be a going price to pay for it in this condition.
Photo

|

2/4/2020 2:05 AM

|

2/4/2020 3:29 AM

never heard of it. frame looks kinda cool, but looks like its been sitting out rusting for a while. id pass, just don't pay much more than $50 for it though. do you plan on actually riding? or you just want to build old bikes? if you want to actually ride, modern bikes are so much better. old/mid school is cool to look at, and cruise around town, but shit to actually learn tricks on.

|

2/4/2020 3:32 AM

Just build sell off and start over again.

|

2/4/2020 8:35 AM

Lots of old guys in here. I'm 48. But I can't help you with your question. I'm still learning myself and know nothing about race bikes. I think most guys on here are more geared towards street and park but maybe someone can come along and help you.

Only thing I know is that it looks like Redline makes a lot of bikes that are race oriented.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/29/2020 3:07 AM

Picked up bike the other day not a rare one but a start.
Can’t find much info on the next but I think it’s a tail whip tourismo.
I want to fit a 3 piece crank as I like that look but what should I look for when buying eg.size and style.
Needs rear brakes went yo have a look but there seems to heaps out there.
It has a small rear sprocket which I never had back I was racing are they that size now for a reason.
Any help would be great and look forward to talking to you.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/29/2020 1:23 PM

I've never heard of that bike or seen one like it. id pass on that man

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

3/29/2020 2:15 PM

bmx museum might be a better place than here.

It's all about people building old bikes.

|

3/29/2020 2:52 PM

Hi, i'm an ex-80's BMXer also... so welcome back!

Like others say, stick to newer bikes if you can, parts are so much easier to interchange and the build quality has improved massively. The age you are looking at / or own already, you are going to struggle to find compatible parts (axle sizes, brakes, BBs etc)

The small rear cog (probably 9T I guess) should be paired with a 25T to 30T front sprocket, looks like yours is a 44T, so the gearing will be mega tough! the idea is you runner smaller front and rear. overall the ratio stays the same as the old 44/16 we used BITD, but you get so much more clearance and a cleaner look. I guess someone probably just stuck a new school wheel on the bike without changing the other parts.

Good luck on the search..

|

3/30/2020 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2020 9:01 AM

A 44/9 would be 91.3 gear inches. LOL. And that's with 1.75 tires. I can't even imagine..... That would feel like 1 crank of your bike to go a whole block. LOL. Would be kind of sweet if it wasn't super hard.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun