New rear axle is too big?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2014 1:25 PM

I bought a new rear wheel and hub since my old one got bent to hell and I didn't realize there we're different axle sizes, my new hub has a 14mm axle, it's the Odyssey V3. I guess my bike is a 10mm? Is there anything I can do so I don't have to buy a new hub?

Photo

Photo

|

9/23/2014 2:32 PM

That's not good.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/23/2014 2:51 PM

What bike or frame do you have?

Modify it yourself.. file down the inside of your drop outs a bit and make it fit. I've done it to an older bike for the same reason and it worked out fine. Gonna need a good file though and put work into it.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

9/23/2014 3:11 PM

It's a haro ZX-24 and I found a conversion axle for the hub that'll convert it to 3/8 so I'll just do that.

|

9/23/2014 3:15 PM

Zerokateo wrote:

It's a haro ZX-24 and I found a conversion axle for the hub that'll convert it to 3/8 so I'll just do that.

That conversion wont do you much good if its the one im thinking. If its the 3/8" female conversion kit, it will convert it to a shemale axle, which still requires 14mm dropouts.

Filing it down carefully is your best bet.

Or file the axle nubs off the conversion kit.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/23/2014 4:40 PM

Zerokateo wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That conversion wont do you much good if its the one im thinking. If its the 3/8" female conversion kit, it will convert it to ...more

Filing off 4MM of material is quite a bit though..

|

9/23/2014 4:44 PM

Zerokateo wrote:

Filing off 4MM of material is quite a bit though..

Then you better start looking for a 3/8" rear hub!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/23/2014 4:56 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Then you better start looking for a 3/8" rear hub!

Well I'll have to return the wheel I guess cause I bought it complete, how sketchy would it be filing it though? Would I be weakening the structure at all?

|

9/23/2014 5:10 PM

Zerokateo wrote:

Well I'll have to return the wheel I guess cause I bought it complete, how sketchy would it be filing it though? Would I be ...more

Ofcourse you will, but unless youre doing huge drops or crazy gaps i believe youll be alright. Personally, i would buy the axle kit for it and file the axle nubs on it so it operates like a normal 3/8" female hub.

|

9/23/2014 5:16 PM

I would just file the drop outs

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/23/2014 6:28 PM

file the bottom of the dropouts. Not the top. That way your rear wheel will still sit level.

If you have a dad, or know how to use an angle grinder, this is a ten minute job.

|

9/23/2014 7:29 PM

Take 2mm off of the top and bottom of the dropouts, measure, mark up and cut/file.

If not buy a used ratchet hub and a 3/8" axle./nolt setup.

|

9/23/2014 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2014 7:40 PM

@HardTim, the Odyssey IS a true 3/8" female, not a shemale. It does come with spacers though that would sit in your dropouts if it were a 14mm dropout, however.

See

Photo

It would work. At least I think so.

|

9/23/2014 7:42 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

@HardTim, the Odyssey IS a true 3/8" female, not a shemale. It does come with spacers though that would sit in your dropouts ...more

Huh! Look at that.

|

9/24/2014 11:17 AM

use a 4-1/2in grinder with a grinind disk and grind away what you need but make sure you stop and measure to ensure a good fit don't want to grind it down to far. Oh and i have done this before on a loder bike with masiive drop outs so it works just be carefull

|

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

9/24/2014 10:02 PM

I went ahead and bought the conversion, I'd rather not grind or file anything. Too risky for me.

|

9/26/2014 12:43 PM

So guess what I ordered from Dans Comp and it didn't come as shown in the picture.

Photo

Instead of this

Photo

So what do I do? Should I call Dans comp even though they removed the item from their website or just grind the fucking nubs off?

|